Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )


Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

On the Trail - July 16, 2000

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> From the Dragon's Mouth -> Tales of the Cat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Panther
RDI Admin
RDI Admin


Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 2168
See this user's pet
Jobs: Tavern Keep, Red Dragon Inn
Can Be Found: RhyDin
103973.68 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: On the Trail - July 16, 2000 Reply with quote

He can't help but smirk a bit as he slips backwards into the shadows, then turning and moving quickly back towards town. There must have been a bit more willow than he thought in the paste he had given Janella to help the cut lip. It was only meant to soothe the pain as the plantain helped stop the bleeding and speed the healing. But, she'd gotten it all over her tongue and it had numbed it, making it difficult for her to speak.

It may have been for the best, she was trying to keep him form leaving, going back to the scene of the crime. She wanted him to wait for her to finish the tourney, but had finally, if not reluctantly agreed that he should go and try to pick up the scents of her attackers while there was still scent to find.

There was three of them ... and they jumped her in the alley behind the Marketplace ... in mid-stride he shifts, four paws hitting the ground as he comes into full panther form. It will be easier to track this way, harder to keep a nose to the ground when yer standing six foot tall. He easily picks her scent up as he hits the Marketplace. Even though it's faint, it's one he knows nearly as well as his own, having spent so much time, so close to it... to her.

Siera had once asked him what she smelled like to him, and was amused when he answered "salty leather." There was much more to it than that, but it was the simplest way to relate it to her. He's not sure if he could pinpoint for someone else what Janella's scent was. At times, it was almost a feeling as much as a scent... like that moment in time, just before a storm, when the air is full of the impending rain and lightening and thunder. Everything feels alive, charged, about to burst, yet there's a sense of calm at the same time.

He slows down a bit as he approaches the alleyway. It's just past dusk, there are no shoppers in the Market, just some shop keepers cleaning up, a few stragglers wandering through the street on the way to the Dragon or some other local pub. The alleyway is, thankfully, pretty absent of any sort of activity. Nonetheless, he keeps to the shadows, which is easy since her scent seems to hug the walls.

He winces to himself as he realizes it wasn't probably from any plan that this happened, it was most likely a result of the beating she took, she may have needed to hug the wall to keep from falling over. Her wounds weren't overly grave, but the hits she took to the face would have been enough to daze her, at least for a short while.

Towards the far end of the alley the scent does move to the center of the path and becomes stronger, as if she had lingered here for a few moments. He stands in the middle of where her scent is strongest, facing the direction she would have been traveling. Lowering his nose right to the ground he inhales deeply, drinking in the various scents. Three, four, turning his head about to the left, then the right, seven... eight... at least eight distinct scents that he can pick out. Probably more.

He curses himself slightly, he should have gotten more details from Janella, where did the approach her from, how did they take her down? Her face... Most of the damage was from her face ... think... OK, they would have to be in front of her to do so. Did they come from behind, get her to turn, then strike? No...just tapping her on the shoulder would have been nearly impossible without alerting her. At the least she would have had a hand on Vendetta, as she calls her dagger, before she even turned. There were three of them, he pauses to think, two could restrain her as the third strikes? They wouldn't have needed to get her to turn... There! Just behind him and to the left, that back entry of that shop, the perfect place to hide as someone passed. To the right... the wagon... the one sitting on broken wheels. That could have provided cover. If she were rushing to make it to the tourney, and distracted wondering why he hadn't met up with her as promised...

That last thought tugs at his gut. If he had been along, she wouldn't have been jumped. It was daylight, they had to make it quick, smash her down and grab it. With two of them it would have easily become a brawl that would have attracted unwanted attention from the Market shoppers. He sighed as he resigned to the fact he couldn't do anything about that now and had to concentrate on the duty at hand.

Three scents, more than likely coming in from different directions to this spot, and by all reasoning leaving together. He started with the few scents he could pick up "in front" of where she was. Then circling slightly, he found it... this one split off two different directions. It wasn't someone just walking by. A bit of moving out, back tracking, moving out again, wait... here... it came from the doorway, the one on the left, just as he had supposed. It came from there, moved up to where he believed was where Janella was attacked, then moved out again, between these two shops.

More importantly, there was a second scent in the doorway, that also moved out, stopped short of the first one, but it moved off down the alleyway. Argh. It couldn't be that easy, could it? Of course, they probably didn't both go rushing off the same direction at once, he knew from his younger days it was always best to split up when you made your get away. 'OK, let's see if we can find the third and make the dots connect,' he thinks to himself.

Concentrating on the scents to 'her' right now, three, maybe four distinct ones come right through here. Two are strong... either from being fresh, or from having lingered. They both seem to have come from along the same general path Janella had taken. Hmm... maybe one of them was following her into the trap? But which one? Wait... a few paces out, the first one is noticeably fainter than the second. That means the second was fresh, so the first one of the attackers, it had to be. Following it back to the attack point, it follow along the main alley a bit longer, also getting fainter again, then turns between two shops. Wait, number two, he went this way as well. OK, gamble time, these trails won't last much longer, he'll follow them and hope it's the right ones.

There's a few shouts as he moves from between the shops out into the main road of the Market, but he ignores them. Most have seen much worse than a large feline dashing through anyways. The trail leads him down the market place a bit, then between some shops on the opposite side of the road. They follow the small path here up to the end of the market before turning towards one of the cross roads, then turning down another back alleyway. It's easier to follow the trail here, even as it's fading, and the sun has long since set, there are fewer scents to dilute the ones he's locked to. They run along this trail for a ways, deeper into an area of town he doesn't get too much. Definitely not the high-rent side of town.

The scents lead up to the back door of a building, a tavern, or inn from the sounds, and smells of it. Cheap ales, smoke, sweat and blood all seem to be exuding from the building. This must be the door to the store room, or kitchen in the back of the inn. Then he notices it... the third scent... darting about a bit to pinpoint it, yes! It's here too. The third scent, also leading up to the back door. Shifting back to were form has he climbs the stairs, he reaches for the door and then stops.

No. He said he wouldn't do anything without Janella, so he won't. It's going to take some convincing, but they're going to have to resist just barging in here. They need to find out who these guys are, why they took the ring, and most importantly, who they took it for. He moves around to the front of the building, his black fur keeping him hidden in the shadows.

He comes to the front of the buildings, taking a look around the corner, 'Well, well, well. I think that's answered one question.', he nearly speaks aloud. The sign above the front door, the one that read "Jack Pot Inn", creaks slightly in the breeze as he turns and moves quickly back to the alley, heading back to get Janella.
_________________

"Even the maggot can serve a purpose in the right circumstance... "
Panther - Overseer of the madhouse that is the Red Dragon Inn.
Tales of the Cat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Panther
RDI Admin
RDI Admin


Joined: 04 Mar 2005
Posts: 2168
See this user's pet
Jobs: Tavern Keep, Red Dragon Inn
Can Be Found: RhyDin
103973.68 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise Attack
2000-JUL-20 by Janella Vallonia

Three figures, not shadows but two women and a man, took the fighter by surprise. Janella did not entirely realize who or what they were until afterwards, when she pieced the moments back together into the whole. Right then, at the instant of the attack, Janella only knew their force, the shock, her instinct to fight back and to kill. The dark, uncertain scene made the need for that great. She saw and felt she was outnumbered, if she didn't act to end them first, she feared it'd be her own body left for dead.

"Get the ring!"

The damn ring! A knife slashed across her shoulder, then her ribs. Her mind screamed, "Draw!" But the blades weren't with her - she didn't need steel for the DQ, not for Fists, no. Missing with a furious grab, she instead threw a kick, felt one of them crumple back from the blow, and then another - from behind - seized her hood, tore the chain from her very neck. Her skin burned, a hot pain, and she backhanded in retaliation. Already the two were backing away, both hooded, covered from head to toe, nearly faceless in the poor light. Nearly. Janella sneered at them and rushed forward, feeling and already seeing her own gloved fists crashing into their heads before she was even off the ground.

But the third had robbed her of the chance.

Janella growled, blinked away the unexpectedly intense recall of the blow that knocked her out. The world had gone black, she stealed herself, cursing. The park was just ahead now, no time to think more, no time to do anything else but fight for the Outback's prize title. She could already hear the audience, she spotted Jake, Tareth, Maetel, all of them.

Janella caught herself, clamped her mouth shut and silenced her angry thoughts, quelling her rage. Later, she told herself. There'd be time for all of that after, she'd get her steel from the Inn, she'd go back, she would find them. Later. For now, right now, she had a Diamond to win.
_________________

"Even the maggot can serve a purpose in the right circumstance... "
Panther - Overseer of the madhouse that is the Red Dragon Inn.
Tales of the Cat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> From the Dragon's Mouth -> Tales of the Cat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Dragon's Mark Producer - Rob Portinga
Original site design © 2005 by Nomad  •  Forum design © 2005 Isaura Simon