Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

Fire and Pixie Dust
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> The Crossroads -> Chase the Morning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grave Robber
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Undertaker, Alchemist
Can Be Found: Amongst those who need a little help with the agony.
2691.14 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nightmares of his past faded as he pleaded for death…. For a long while he was burning… simply burning… his whole world was that of fire and smoke… “This must be what hell is… I’ve done it… of all things that mother ****’ bitch fairy did me in…” his whole being seemed to be in anguish… but nothing worse than the knowledge that he had left Shilo behind… just like Emma… he wouldn’t be there for her when she needed him most…. “**** me”

He had vague moments of lucidity while the dark angel and Shilo work in tandem to save him… but mostly he was lost to his dreams… useless and limp. There were a few moments that registered through his injury addled mind. Something about a dark angel with impressive bare breasts and wings… and Shilo looking down on him… Shilo had wings! The imagery put a strained smile on the unconscious man and spun him off into an odd assortment of dreams that he may have mumbled about during their treck through the alleyways.

The bleeding from his head had mostly stopped but his right side had been badly burned. His shirt burned away in patches so that his right side and arm were completely exposed, save from his right shoulder where the cheep material seems to have melted and attached itself to his flesh. That didn’t stop him from reaching out to touch and grab at the voice that was hushing him, mostly ending in having his hands fitfully brushed away and a shushing voice lulling him back into his confusing dreams of a bare breasted Shilo with wings…
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Unknown
2238.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertebrates: Reptiles, fish, mammals, birds, amphibians…

Shilo recited in her head for what had to be the thousandth time.

Invertebrates: Molluscs, flatworms, protazoa, annelid worms, echinoderms, coelenterates… Arthropods… crustaceans, insects, arachnids… arachnids…

“Dammit.” She whispered. She always got stuck on the last arthropod. And Graverobber was slipping again. They couldn’t afford another fall. She was beyond exhausted and she was sure, if they fell, she would never be able to get them both back up. She tried not to think of him falling to the ground, filth and grit working themselves into every scrape, cut, and burn on his battered body. Just when the images were getting a little too vivid, she found a small surge of energy and shifted his weight back onto her center of gravity.

“Myriapods!” She whispered loudly in triumph. Suddenly, the inn seemed to have materialized before her. It was all she could do not to dissolve into hysterical, relieved laughter.

She reached for the railing on the porch as though it were best friend and hoisted them both up the steps, sending them staggering toward the door. She mentally apologized to Graverobber before using his heft to nudge the door open. Once inside, she felt relief wash over her like a much needed bath. It was short lived, however, when she realized they still had to make it upstairs. This late at night, the inn was empty. Perhaps it was for the best. People meant having to talk. Talking meant questions. Questions meant having to come up with answers she simply did not have at the moment.

Instead, she took a deep breath, shifted the dying man in her tiny grip, and set out for the stairs. She took full advantage of the rail, making every muscle in her arms and back scream with the strain. It was an arduous task made that much more difficult knowing that even after all the effort, he still might not make it. She shuddered at the thought and tried to force it from her mind.

Just when she thought she had lost all hope of ever getting to the top, she was there. They had made it. She moved toward the first door and turned the knob, not caring if it were occupied or not. She’d kick whoever it was out if she had to. In what had to be the grandest stroke of luck, not only was the door unlocked, but it seemed it was in transition from the last inhabitant. It was not occupied, but neither was it pristine and ready for a new boarder. That didn’t matter. All that mattered was that they had made it to a safe place and she could begin assessing his injuries.

As gingerly as she could, Shilo set Graverobber down on the bed and, not even taking a moment to breathe, set to work.
Shilo Wallace
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2238.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debridement. the medical removal of dead, damaged, or infected tissue to improve the healing potential of the remaining healthy tissue.

Shilo carefully peeled away thin layers of fabric from Graverobber’s injured body. Some pieces were stubborn and adhered to some of the nastier burns. She quickly decided to leave those alone. She had neither the proper training or supplies and when she so much as got near certain areas, Graverobber faintly groaned even from his unconscious state.

Smoke inhalation. injury due to inhalation or exposure to hot gaseous products of combustion.

She wished they were back home. More specifically, she wished they were in her father’s home with his seemingly endless supply of surgical tools, medication, and medical books. Shilo tried desperately to remember more terms and their definitions. It helped keep her calm and keeping calm was important.

Concussion. a traumatic brain injury that alters the way the brain functions.

Now that some of the nastier looking wounds were free of cloth and debris, Shilo decided it was time to see to the wound on Graverobber’s head. Clearly, he had been knocked unconscious, but he was still breathing. So why was his head bleeding so badly?

Laceration. a deep cut or tear in skin or flesh.

Upon closer inspection, she saw the source of the bleed. There was a deep, long cut along his scalp. It had begun to clot, but he was definitely going to need stitches. And antibiotics. And gauze and bandages. And many, many other things she didn’t have. She didn’t even know where to begin tending to his burns. The only thing she was sure of was that they were bad. Very, very bad.

Most of his skin was red, raw, and there were several areas that were blistered. The worst was on his right shoulder. His skin had been burned away and what was left looked like what Shilo could only describe as lumps of candle wax.

Tears began to well up in her large, dark eyes. As long as she had Graverobber, even in this strange world so far from home, she wasn't scared. Now, with him lying there, injured, possibly dying, she felt so small and lost. She raised cold, blood streaked hands to her pale face and tried to breath.
Shilo Wallace
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2238.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shilo refused to let her emotions take over. Graverobber needed her. She would just push them deep down for now and ignore the pressure building in her chest. Or was it under her chest. No, it was definitely… around? On. It was on her chest.

Her eyes snapped open and she peeked from behind her hands to find Graverobber’s good arm extended toward her. As she followed it, her eyes grew wider and wider as she finally realized he was groping at her chest! With a small squeak, she gently batted his hand away.
Grave Robber
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Undertaker, Alchemist
Can Be Found: Amongst those who need a little help with the agony.
2691.14 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graverobber was lost to Shilo's efforts, lost to this world. His fever raged on, but more real to him than anything else...

His fevered dreams raged on....

[i]Standing on a desolate shore, the roar of the surf echoes against my dreams
If I could only keep the thread of who I'm supposed to be, where I'm supposed to be, what im here for....

It slips through my fingers, lost to the waves.... lost to the deep
lost to me, nomatter how I scream and thrash, nomatter how tight I hold on, not against the pull of those waves

I can't save them... I can't save myself... I couldn't save her

not from the waves, not from the deep.
It falls from between my grasp as golden sand sparkles with her blue eyes, Into the deep./i]

It may be a dream.... but it's mine

it's all I have of her

Emma, I'm sorry
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2238.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shilo lowered herself to the floor, plopping onto her narrow behind, and pulled her knees to her chest. Her shredded, throbbing knees. Hot tears finally won over and spilled over soot streaked cheeks, leaving twin trails down her face.

Typical Graverobber! She thought. Our home is on fire, he's probably dying, and what does he do? Cop a feel! I can't even get mad at him because he's unconscious! What does he expect me to do? I can't fix this, not by myself! He just thinks he can pass out and die and someone else will worry about everything? I hate him. I hate him for getting hurt. I hate him for possibly dying. I hate him for making me feel safe when he's around and now I might lose him and I'll have nothing left!

In that moment, her frustration and fear and extreme exhaustion took over and she was able to feel angry. Maybe even a little indignant, if only for a second. Just one tiny fraction of a second. That was all it took. Feeling emboldened, she was able to mentally shake herself out of this spiralling pity party.

Come on, Shilo. Think. You have the answer somewhere, you just have to think!

A vague memory crept into her weary brain. She willed it into clarity. It had been a few weeks prior, but it was terribly important. Graverobber had just returned around dawn after a full night of 'work.' Shilo was lying awake in bed, contemplating what she would do that day. Likely thinking her still asleep, he quietly tiptoed to a spot in the corner of the room, lifted a floorboard with a blade, and deposited something.

Shilo couldn't see what it was and so had put it out of her mind since. But now, in this dire situation, she finally remembered one tiny detail that would change everything. It was a sound. A very tiny sound. It was a jangle? No... a clatter? No. A clink. Small, but unmistakable. The clink of a coin falling gently on top of another.

Shilo quickly dried her eyes and stood with unequivocal resolve. She would raid his stash, every last cent, and use it to find help. If she found any zydrate, she'd use half of it to help Graverobber and the rest she'd sell. In her world, there were back alley surgeons that would slice and dice at the mere promise of a dalliance. Surely, in this world, she could find a doctor or apothocary or SOMEone that would help her for coin.

Shoulders back, head up, back straight. She took a deep breath, and with a small nod, she started for the door. As her small, icy hand neared the door knob, she paused, letting her fingers hover for a moment. Despite her resolve not to hesitate or second guess herself, she moved back to the bedside. Gently, she placed a cold hand on the one spot on his forehead clear of major injury.

"I'm coming back... okay? Please be alive when I do. Please." She whispered in his ear.

Lifting her hand, she replaced it with a soft, tender peck. When she stood, she surveyed the room, really seeing it for the first time, and quirked a brow. It took less than a split second of thought for her to decide to grab a few things before she left.
Shilo Wallace
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2238.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shilo walked with purpose back toward the burning building in the West End. The raging flames had long since consumed the dry, rickety room they had claimed as their own, but dangerous embers still glowed deep within the walls and support beams. She knew it could all come crashing down on her head any moment. She didn’t care.

A small part of her wondered if it had been wise of her to slip the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign onto the door as she left. What if Graverobber was faintly calling for help and she had sealed his fate? Shilo shook her head to clear the thought from her mind. This was no time to start spiraling.

Her pace quickened and she soon found herself at the smoldering skeleton that used to be their home. Shilo reached into her satchel and pulled out a hand towel and a bottle of water, both pilfered from the room at the inn. She soaked the towel in water and then tied it on her face like a mask. It wasn’t the industrial grade, full face respirator her father used to make her wear, but it would keep some of the smoke and fumes at bay.

She picked her way through what remained of the doorway, ignoring the gently snow-like falling of ashes on her hair and clothes. Each step was agony as she tried to decide the best course. Spring toward the hidden loot risking the collapse of her exit as she did, or tiptoe slowly and risk everything collapsing before she could even reach her goal. She finally decided on a median. Small, rapid dashes from here to there, stopping only when the creaking beams and spray of sparks was too much to ignore.

She had to scramble and crawl under a large piece of the ceiling that had fallen at an odd angle, singeing her palms a bit, but she finally made it. Shilo reached into her now tattered and scorched boot and pulled out a small, pilfered letter opener with the Inn’s insignia. Even before she slid the dull blade into the crack of the floor, she could see a glowing light. But this wasn’t the color she had hoped for. She expected to see the eerie electric blue glow of zydrate. Instead, it was a ruddy hue similar to what filled the still burning walls. At first she thought perhaps the floor was on fire and Graverobber’s stash spoiled. Shilo was ready to greet disappointment when she finally pried away the panel of compressed wood.

It took a moment or two to register what she was seeing. It was a small vial, very pretty and very tightly stoppered. Contrary to its color and despite being in a burning building, it was cool to the touch. Remarkable in that she was able to feel its chill even on her own icy fingers.

That was when she noticed the blisters. Her hands weren’t just singed, they were burned. She turned to look behind her and saw that where she had just crawled had reignited and was now engulfing the very floor beneath her. An ominous groan came from the already compromised structure. Her exit was rapidly ceasing to exist. Just as she tried to stand and find an alternate escape, the support beam above her cracked menacingly, showering her in angry sparks.

With a small squeak, she ducked back down and quickly moved coins and bottle into her satchel, unsure exactly what she would do next.
Shilo Wallace
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2238.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when all seemed lost, she was abruptly and forcefully sprayed with the outer fan of a high pressure stream of water. She sputtered and coughed, coaxing a grunt of surprise from the man on the other side of water's source. The fire brigade had miraculously showed up. Here. In their cheap, scrubby little hole in the West End.

Shilo was the first to recover. She had, after all, a very important mission. She knew if she stayed, they would want to see to her wounds and ask questions. Always with the damned questions. Thinking quickly, she reached into her satchel and pulled out the small bottle of the Inn's complimentary cologne.

Certain she could toss it far enough away so no one would be injured, but close enough to draw attention, she tossed the little glass bottle at one of the few remaining walls, shattering it. A roaring burst of flame shot up, effectively distracting the man in front of her. Seeing her only chance at escape. she leapt to her feet and sprinted past him and two other similarly suited people.

Echoes of 'Who was that?!' and 'Hey, stop, kid!' barely registered as Shilo, soaking wet, burned, bruised, and exhausted, ran back to the inn as fast as her skinny little legs would carry her.
Shilo Wallace
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2238.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Events log, first entry"

A crackle of static muddled a small shaky voice before clearing to reveal the ash-streaked, bloody, sweaty face of a very bewildered Shilo Wallace. Her eyes widened as she saw her image screened back at her from her wristcomm's display panel. She did her best to wipe the soot, blood, and tears from her face and only succeeded at making herself look even more bewildered. Realizing she was only making matters worse, she gave up, letting out a ragged sigh and stared off to the side until she was ready to speak again.

"I made it back. I didn't find any zydrate, but I found something I hope is better. I think it's a healing potion, but I can't be sure... I'm scared. I'm scared to use it. I don't even know how to use it. Is it supposed to be ingested? Injected? Applied topically? Is it even a healing potion? Maybe it’s poison. Maybe it’s just whiskey in a fancy flask..." A fresh set of tears welled up in her eyes and she lifted her free hand to cover them, resting there a moment.

She sniffled softly then quickly wiped the tears from her eyes before continuing.

"If I don't get this right, then Graverobber's last hope for surviving is blown. I don't know what to do and since Graverobber is usually the one who helps me in situations like this, well..." Shilo trailed off and peered over her shoulder to the bed where her friend still lay. Unmoving, barely breathing. Finally, she returned her gaze to her wristcomm, this time, tears flowing freely and leaving twin trails down her pale, dirty face.

"I feel like I'm dying. Or maybe I'm just having a panic attack or something. I don't know. I think I inhaled a lot of smoke." A sudden coughing fit overtook her as if her body were agreeing with her words. It took some time to recover, but she spoke again.

"If I am dying, Graverobber, I'm sorry. I'm sorry you got stuck with me again. I'm sorry if however I decide to use the potion turns out to be wrong. But mostly... I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to tell you..." She rested her head on her free arm, recording only the top of her head for some time.

"To tell you that you're my best friend and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. You saved me in so many ways, back home and here, I can never repay you. I can never thank you enough. I can only hope this somehow works out so I can at least try."

Shilo took a short, steadying breath. A look of resolved washed over her delicate features and, with burned and blistered fingers, reached to turn off the recording device. Her image crackled with static once more and warped into nothing.

-End of entry-
Shilo Wallace
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2238.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As her wristcomm media recorder powered off, she lowered her left wrist and steeled herself for what she had to do next. She had been kneeling in front of the unoccupied bed to record her thoughts and the feeling had long since gone from her feet. She rose slowly, wincing as the feeling of pins and needles surged throughout her legs. Carefully, she made her way over to the unconscious Graverobber and sat gently on the edge of the bed.

“I… I’m here Graverobber. I’m back. I made it back. We’re going to be okay… okay?” Of course she knew he wouldn’t answer. She was trying to bolster her own confidence more than anything. And, even if he were on the brink of death and in all probability completely unaware she was even nearby, it was still comforting to talk to him.

After watching his labored breath for a moment, she unstoppered the small vial and reached to tip his head back. He didn't even groan in pain and that worried her. She took her time and poured the liquid down his throat at a painstakingly slow trickle. She dared not spill a drop and, if it seemed any bit would go wayward, she would pause, collect the errant drop with the vial, and resume her meticulous task.

When the vial was finally empty, something she made sure of by holding the vial completely upended over his lips long after the last drop disappeared, she re-stoppered it and let out an exhausted sigh. Her reprieve was short lived, however, as another coughing fit overtook her. It was strong enough to throw her off balance and she slid off the bed and onto the floor with a soft thud.

As she coughed and coughed, her eyes began to bulge and what little intake of breath she managed was gasping and high pitched. When she finally stopped, she simply lay on the floor broken, completely overwhelmed, and crying. She sobbed softly until she passed out from sheer exhaustion, her arm draped protectively over her face.
Shilo Wallace
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2238.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Events log, second entr-"

"Are you really going to number all of them?"

A crackle of static warped and cleared to reveal a slightly annoyed looking Shilo, although considerably cleaner and less bloody than her last recording. Behind her, a fluffy pillow with her hair splayed out in random directions. She sighed exasperatedly and side-eyed the source of the voice.

"You said you would be quiet while I do this." Her voice was tired and a little hoarse.

"No, YOU said I had to be quiet while you do... that, whatever it is-"

"Events log." She interjected.

"Yeah, that."
Graverobber's voice continued.

"A lot of professionals keep them! Doctors, scientists, profes-" She insisted.

"Point being," now it was his turn to interrupt. "I never agreed I'd be quiet." The smirk was audible in his voice.

Shilo rolled her eyes and refocused on her communicator, sighing again.

"The potion in the vial seems to have worked. Graverobber is conscious and ambulatory-"

"Why can't you just say walking?"

Shilo grabbed one of the extra pillows on nearby and threw it at Graverobber before continuing.

"Many of the large wounds seem to have healed and almost faded into faint scars. It's entirely possible they will fade with time. I seem to have a mild case of-hey!" Suddenly the image blurred as Graverobber snatched the wristcomm from her hand.

"A mild case?! You call that a mild case?" The media recorder refocused on Graverobbers naturally pallid face as he launched into protest.

"For the record, kid," looked off to the side 'off camera' at Shilo. "You almost died. Gonna be a long time before you go anywhere on your own. And as for this thing, I've always wondered what other kinds of bells and whistles you've got on it."

Unabashedly, he began pressing buttons and scrolling various menus and options with an incredibly amused expression in part due to the contents of the wristcomm, but mostly at the increasingly distressed protests coming from the bedridden Shilo.

"Hmm, dream log."

"NOT THAT ONE!" Shilo cried as the the image crackled with static and warped into nothing.

-End of entry-
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> The Crossroads -> Chase the Morning All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: