Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

Fringe Sojourn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Innsights -> Reigns of Alluvius
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knightfall
Knight of The Black Rose
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Caretaker, Groom
Can Be Found: RhyDin / Bristle Crios
13878.72 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

Urdru's lips twitched into a grin, then twitched again as though it had gone sour or couldn't decide if something was funny or distasteful. “So has Jonas. None of them could pierce the defences of the 'holy city'.”

Still lounging lazily, Livia turned from her view of the empty space and faced Urdru. She glared at him skeptically, and said sarcastically, “Ok, so, this city that we can’t see… we also can’t get into. Good thing you came along to sort that all out for us.”

Kristoph cast a warning glance at Livia, but said nothing. Sometimes her sarcasm was an asset, other times it wasn't needed, at least he felt so. One of the benefits of her and Brend working closely together, he mused, was that then they could each deal with each others attitudes. It didn't seem like her attitude phased Urdru in the slightest, however, and the older man kept talking.

“Of course it is,” Urdru smiled, as though self satisfied. “I knew you'd recognize it sooner or later.”

“The only thing she is likely to have realized,” Kristoph had found his voice again, and had to interrupt. “Is that every word you utter takes you closer to the end of your life,” he cast a brief peripheral glance at Livia, “And not of old age.”

“If I could crow without coughing,” Urdru's eyes glittered and he smiled with humour that seemed suddenly dark, coloured as it was with the discussion of his ending. “I would. You're completely right, and completely wrong at the same time.” He actually waggled his brows. Somewhere in the peanut gallery, Brend groaned, and Urdru spoke again. “I said none of you could breach the defences, open the gates to the city; I didn't say I couldn't.”

Livia appeared genuinely interested now. Not wishing to invite another glare from their leader, she chose to stay silent.

Fiona still watched Urdru closely, noting how his age seemed to be taking its toll on his health. She wondered just how old he must be, and if he used his playful taunts and jovial anecdotes to cover up just how close he was to his end as a defence mechanism. If he could, in fact, do what he claimed, it would certainly cause him further strain. “What can we do to help?” she asked, trying to sound supportive.
Fiona ONeill
Lady of The Knight
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Messenger, Scribe
Can Be Found: Bristle Crios
8181.30 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Rest for the Weary Reply with quote

Urdru flashed Fiona a smile, and held up one finger and waggled it back and forth in a gesture that was almost admonishing. Brend saw that exchange and groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“It's cute when I do it,” Brend muttered under his breath. “When you do it, it looks like someone is being sassed by a saddlebag with eyes.” A reference to the old man's age. Urdru's head snapped towards the comment, and after a moment he laughed aloud.

“That,” Urdru seemed to be answering Fiona, having looked back towards her. “Just that. Be yourselves,” his eyes narrowed, crows feet tugging the corners. “Too cryptic? That's just because I know how the movie ends. You'll get there, but pretty much it'll just be me and you awake for the credits.” The old man waggled his eyebrows.

“That, old father, is entirely unhelpful towards our current dilemma.” Kristoph spoke, and though his lips carried a wry smile, his tone was quite serious. “Our need for aid is immediate, can you offer anything which will allow us to aid you in truth?”

“Just stay on the paths between the roses,” Urdru had become suddenly more solemn, as if to match Kristoph's tone. “And get some rest. You'll need it. We've got maybe 5 or 6 hours before we have to leave. Any longer and we'll be waiting right in the path of their hooves.” He turned towards Brend, anticipating some comment – and sure enough the younger man's mouth was opening. “Listen to your elders, just this once.” Urdru had cut him off, and Brend cast the man an overly dramatic suspicious scowl as the old man continued. “I'll take care of the rest of the refugees. I got them this far,” the old man waggled his brows again. Kristoph opened his mouth to comment, but he too, Urdru cut off. “Don't fight with me, I'm not your enemy. There are lots of those on the way right now. If you have questions, ask, but keep them short. Then rest.”

“Rest sounds good,” Livia said softly while giving the old man a nod.

“Rest would help the refugees as well,” Fiona faced Kristoph and suggested, “especially the weary.” Offering a subtle hint, she motioned towards Urdru with her eyes, then returned them to meet Kristoph’s gaze.
Knightfall
Knight of The Black Rose
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Caretaker, Groom
Can Be Found: RhyDin / Bristle Crios
13878.72 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: A Lily Guy Reply with quote

Kristoph took her meaning immediately; he tried to remain keenly aware of those in his charge, and the refugees and Urdru were no exceptions. “My curiosity is, for the moment, satisfied, old father.” He moved subtly towards Fiona and slipped his hand into hers. “Rest,” He spoke to the rest of the assembled officers, and to Urdru. “We will rely on the refugees to be our watch, for the nonce; as we've guarded them, so too will they now guard our rest.”

Urdru gave a smugly satisfied smile and nod, and as he sighed and walked away, his shoulders seemed to slump. He was tired as well, but persevered and kept himself upright with the contrary strength of old men.

Livia pushed herself up and off the ground, taking a side step to stand in front of Brend. Looking down at him, she kicked one of his boots playfully and said with a smile, “Come on. I doubt we’ll have another chance to stop and smell some roses.” Before he could make a comeback, she added more sternly, “And no, that’s not code for sex.” She smiled sincerely down at him, and extended a hand in offer to help him up. She would have been more than happy to continue sitting with him right where they were, but not with the old man so close. Always needing to appear tough to those around her, she preferred to spend her downtime privately.

Brend's brow furrowed as he'd looked towards her as she rose. 'There's something to be said,' he thought, 'for black leathers.' He took her hand with a grin playing at the corners of his mouth. He didn't rise immediately, but held her there, tensing as though he were considering pulling her back down. Instead he winked, smiled easily, and rose. “Um,” he said aloud, then dropped his voice to a more conspiratorial, yet still audible, level as he slipped an arm around her waist – and kept it there despite her immediate superficial protest and attempt to push him away. “What was the code for sex again, then?” His tone was full of fake innocence. “And besides,” he went on more casually as they moved out of earshot. “You know I'm more of a lily guy. Roses are so overdone.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Innsights -> Reigns of Alluvius All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: