Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

2018 Birthday Bash

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Elisian Fields -> Beyond the Veil
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JewellRavenlock
The Empress
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Little Elfhame; Old Market
106048.72 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: 2018 Birthday Bash Reply with quote

On 2 February 2018, the Empress is hosting a birthday celebration beginning 5 o’clock. She sent out invitations to all friends and family requesting their help in marking the occasion at Proof, a new rooftop lounge and bar in Dockside.

The Lounge

The chilly winter evening is no hindrance to the party as the temperature on the rooftop is regulated with some spellwork and the aid of fire pit tables scattered across the area. For those who still aren’t warm enough, there is a dancefloor. The music seems geared to more intimate dances and is not loud enough to hinder the buzz of conversation going on nearby.

The Bar

Both parallel bars are open all evening, providing every type of alcohol a person could imagine or desire. There are a number of specialty spirits from Faerie available in addition to a few cocktails and shots in honor of the hostess:

The Royal Blue
cup cranberry juice
1 oz citron vodka or vodka
1 oz blue curacao
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Lime wedge
Sugar

Midnight Kiss
1 1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz blue curacao
1 tsp lemon juice
Champagne

Glamour Bomb
pomegranate vodka
orange liqueur
pomegranate juice
lime twist
sparkling sugar rim

Blue Witch
Bacardi Dragon Berry Rum
Blue Curacao
Crème de banana
lime juice
black sugar

Blue Fairy Shot
⅔ oz Absinthe
⅓ oz blueberry liqueur

There is no formal sit-down dinner, but servers are moving through the party with different finger foods.

Jewell is requesting that gifts not be given. As corny as it may sound, she is insisting to everyone that their presence on this special occasion is truly more than enough.

((This is a board only event. It’s set at 5pm on a Friday to make it easier for people to have their characters attend and live play in the evening if they want. Post a poly set, post a blurb, message me to play out a short scene!

Text message and paper invites went out to all friends and family. Friends (or even friendly) with Jewell? Feel free to have your character attend :)

All images are of the actual Proof Rooftop Lounge in Houston, Texas.))
JewellRavenlock
The Empress
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
106048.72 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The birthday girl was the perfect hostess, making sure to visit with each guest personally for a time. Jewell was more than willing to grab a drink, do a shot, sit and chat, or take a turn around the dance floor with everyone.

There was a magic around her all evening, stronger than the touch of glamour that was always present in her smile. Her grey eyes were bright, and she was genuinely thrilled to see each friend that came even if they only stopped by for a moment.

Laughter and a lightness lingered in her wake as she moved about the party with an energy that had been lacking from the blue haired faerie over the last year. Tonight, she was truly playing the part of the Empress.
Eden Parker
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Barmaid
Can Be Found: Old Market
3549.68 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eden and Cory didn't have reason to go to Dockside too often, but as much as they wanted to enjoy the sights, they had a party to get to! Dropping off their gift with the rest of the presents, Eden and Cory made sure to go direct to Jewell for a hug and an exclamation of "Happy birthday!"

But of course once their greetings were finished, they stayed to enjoy the celebrations! Together they circulated, making a game of trying all of the different featured drinks. As the night progressed, Eden kept sticking her tongue out to ask friends and strangers alike what color it was before bursting into giggles. Eventually she declared that the Glamour Bomb was her favorite, before licking the sugar from the rim of a glass before asking for another one.

Every time that Eden's tongue was stuck out his way, Cory would exclaim in amazement the new shade it had become. That of course prompted him to ask if she wanted to see his too. It may have looked like they were flirting like lizard people instead of just enjoying the drinks, the party, and each others company.

Eden and Cory's gift was a goodie bag of fun things including a fairy t-shirt, a bunch of pixie sticks, and a SpongeBob SquarePants pajama set!

Much later, hand in hand Cory and Eden bid goodbye to the birthday girl, leaving her with a hug and having so much to talk about on the way home that they'd barely notice the time it took.

((Thanks to Cory Sommers' player for writing with me as always!))
Trish Cromwell
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
Jobs: Caretaker, Tutor
Can Be Found: Rhydin City
1085.60 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish didn't have a whole lot in hand--mostly, she took Jewell's message to heart, and showed up.

Meanwhile, her kindergarten students had had other ideas. There was a small bouquet of crepe paper flowers in shades of blue, and they all had made a card with a faerie on it, signed by all thirty-odd of them, to show the Empress their adoration on her special day.
Sinjin Fai
professional bastard
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Town Drunk, Village Idiot
Can Be Found: Rhy'din
21830.40 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect picture of charm all evening, Sinjin remained on hand to shmooze his way through the party and play occasional aid to Jewell should she require it. He brought no gift, but he did bring some asthetic. His arrival came with dozens upon dozens of fireflies that flickered their way around the rooftop bar through-out the evening, providing natural faerie lights to grace the evening. At some point, he even ended up behind the bar slinging drinks and chatting with guests.
Ignipotent
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Tutor, Herbalist

58851.88 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cane showed up with Salvador, said hello to a few familiar faces, and sneaked away with Jewell to a quiet corner of the party for a few minutes. When he resurfaced, Cane had a small brown paper package tucked under one arm. He swiped a delicious looking morsel from a passing server and headed back out the way he came to find Sal.

Don't you tell me what you think that I could be
I'm the one at the sail, I'm the master of my sea
Delahada
Verdugo
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Undertaker
Can Be Found: Rhydin City
43018.96 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvador did not mingle. He passed through the party only so far as to reluctantly wish Jewell a happy birthday, allow her a kiss to his cheek, and leave her in Canaan's company. Whatever fleeting semblance of a smile he had worn during that extremely brief exchange vanished the moment he turned about to exit the building. However, it resurfaced when he spotted Sinjin in the crowd. All he had to do was smile at him to lure him outside for a little bit. They shared a few private moments before the Cajun found his way back to Salvador's side. He and Cane then left together.
The Empress
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
106048.72 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewell was thrilled to see Eden and Cory, offering them both hugs in return for their well wishes (and the present--the t-shirt was perfect and she couldn’t stop laughing when she saw the pajamas). She definitely squeezed in time to drink a Glamour Bomb with Eden at some point during the night.

She was very glad to see Trish, hugging her, kissing her cheek, and complimenting her lovely dress. “It goes so well with your coloring!” She adored the bouquet of crepe flowers and made sure to read every name on the card. “Maybe I can stop by and thank them in person next week? This is too precious.”
JewellRavenlock
The Empress
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
106048.72 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After greeting Canaan and Sal--stealing a kiss to the cheek of the latter and telling the former that she had something for him, but didn’t want to hand it over in front of everyone else--Jewell tripped off to retrieve a small package from the bar. It was wrapped in brown paper with Canaan written across it in a graceful hand and blue ink. Gift in hand, she sidled back up to the Cajun in the crowd, still a little shy after how the Powerhouse Party had ended. With the gift hidden behind her back in one hand, she touched his arm. “Can I steal you away for a few minutes?”

Cane smiled graciously, excusing himself from the small circle of conversation. He touched a hand to hers on his arm and held it loosely as they made their way over to a quiet corner, away from the prying ears and eyes of the other guests.

“It’s your birthday. You’re the one who’s supposed to be getting presents.” There was a hint of a drawl to his voice.

“When do I ever follow convention, hm?” her tone playfully chiding. Jewell produced the gift with a flourish the plain wrapping didn’t seem to warrant. “It’s just something I wanted you to have.”

“In case you die?” Cane asked bluntly, the humor in his eyes visibly waning as he plucked the package out of her hands. The affected delicacy others took in approaching the topic was not Cane’s style.

She licked her lips, pressing them together a moment before nodding. She hadn’t wanted to say it and break the magic the evening had cast around her, but the reference to the likely outcome of Valentine’s Day was sobering, sapping some of the glamourous energy right out of her and killing her smile. It was either death or something potentially worse for the faerie. “Yes.”

For what felt like one very long moment, it looked like Cane wanted to give it back without even tearing the paper away to see what was inside. He pursed his lips in quiet study, fingering the lifted edge of the paper where it begged silently to be peeled back. Then he smoothed the fingers of his other hand across the elegant scroll of his name in blue. After another minute he tipped his head to peer at her obliquely.

“Fine. But only because it’s your birthday.” Brown paper unfurled like a flower around the priceless gem inside: a picture of the two of them in a white frame. Cane swallowed audibly, though his expression was damnably inscrutable.

The anxiety that had welled up inside her at the thought that he might hand the gift right back to her, untouched, and the surety that she would cry if he did, transformed into anxiety over that expression he wore when he finally saw it. Her fingers fidgeted with the black bow of her dress, suddenly unsure and convinced that this had been a stupid idea. “I thought it was a nice memory,” she admitted quietly.

He didn’t respond immediately, nor did he take his eyes from the photo. In it they were both wearing sunglasses that belonged to Cane; his goofy expression and her lips on his cheek frozen forevermore in a snapshot of the past. “It is,” he confirmed just as quietly. Quirking a lopsided smile, the Cajun turned the frame toward her. “We looked damn good together.” He was still smiling when he tipped it back into his own view, paper crinkling as he quickly folded it back up. “Thanks, darlin’. I know just where I’ll put it.”

“You’re welcome.” She was still quiet. It seemed harder to recapture the levity and cheerfulness of earlier, even when he gave her that lopsided smile she normally wanted to kiss, after the mention of the fact that they looked good together. They had. Jewell somehow resisted the urge to apologize once again. It didn’t seem to matter now; her days were numbered. Instead, she tried to explain to fill what felt like an awkward silence between them, “I just wanted you to have something, so that when--” She took a deep breath and rephrased that, eyes trained on his chest rather than his face, “If things go wrong, you had something because memories fade.”

Cane snorted indelicately to the tune of don’t be absurd. He put an arm around her and pulled her to his chest for a hug. “As if I could forget you.”

Her hands were free so she could wrap both arms around him, her face buried against his shirt where it was safe to put her fears into muffled words, “And what if you wanted to?”

“Erase you from my mind because there wasn’t a Happily Ever After? That’d be stupid. You’ve been my friend for years, a battle-sister, my lover.” He drew in a deep breath and pressed a light kiss to the crown of her head. “I’m not going to forget you.”

Jewell savored their physical closeness, turning her head so her cheek was pressed to his chest and just lingering there. She was sure, for the moment, that even death couldn’t steal this feeling from her. And although it might make everything harder in some ways--and she had desperately wanted all this time to not hurt him even if she had somehow managed to every step of the way--she had to tell him: “You probably don’t know how much you mean to me. I haven’t told you and my actions haven’t told you… but you mean the world to me, Canaan.” She pulled away just inches, enough to easily look up at him earnestly, her arms still loosely looped around him.

The smile he wore was wild honey--pure and sweet. It spread easily, and though warm, he stiffened minutely in her arms. His own grip slackened, then unraveled, but he brought a hand up to cup her jaw. “Go on, now. People’re gonna be wondering where you are, and you’ve gotta go play hostess.” Cane let her go, gesturing to the picture frame with his other hand. “Thanks for this, cher.”

“Right.” There was a party. Guests. She didn’t really care. Jewell would trade most if not all of it for a few more minutes with Cane, but she had felt him stiffen and moved quickly now to put some distance between them, backing up with her arms falling uselessly to her sides. She resisted the urge to cross them, to somehow protect herself, since she was the one who had done this, but his response hurt. Her smile was a sham, but a pretty one. “Of course. Thanks for letting me give you a present on my birthday.”

“Anything for you. Besides, it’s not every day a girl turns… what is now? Six hundred fifty-two?” Cane winked at her, providing some desperately needed levity. “You’re allowed to do whatever you want.”

There was magic in her laughter, and it eased some of the tension that had existed between them for weeks now, even if just for a moment. “Whatever I want?” It wasn’t really true; she couldn’t have and do all the things she wanted. Not with him. Except maybe right now in these next few seconds. Jewell closed the distance between them, seized by the wild notion of carpe diem and sure that she didn’t want their kiss at the Powerhouse Party to be their last. She touched his cheek and kissed him--light and sweet.

Then she was gone again.

((Co-written with Canaan along with many thanks!))
JewellRavenlock
The Empress
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
106048.72 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like she had at Lucy’s holiday party, Jewell naturally gravitated to Sinjin again and again throughout the night in between greeting guests and chatting with friends, and she was absolutely delighted with the fireflies. He had told her just yesterday that she was one of the most alive people he had ever met, and she seemed intent on proving those words true this evening with an unparalleled vibrance--a shooting star pulsing even brighter before it faded away forever.

There was a hitch in the effortless charm of her manner for a time after she spoke with Canaan, but she was quickly back to being more delightful than ever, dispatching a number of Blue Fairy shots with ease alongside whoever would join her and grabbing Sin for at least one dance.
Mairead Harker
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Tutor, Groom
Can Be Found: Harkers' Island
18738.54 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While no presents were requested, a glass vase with a simple bouquet of blue winter roses and baby's breath were delivered to Proof for the birthday girl. The note attached was written with careful penmanship: Happy birthday from Maggie Harker. P.S. These roses can be planted.
Lucy Mitford
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Rhy'Din
9095.22 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy showed up once the celebration was in mid-swing. She came alone, moving quickly through the crowd to find Jewell, giving her a hug and kiss, and whispering a quiet "Happy birthday!" to her ear.

As usual, she forewent the featured cocktails in favor of a steady supply of champagne (though technically that night she was drinking cava), and avoided most of the food. With glass in hand, she circulated, making conversation with friends, acquaintances, and strangers alike. But she kept returning to Jewell, finding her again and again for humorous gossip and friendly chatter.

When and if she could, she exchanged friendly greetings with Sin and Cane both---asking after them and their lives, making the usual party small talk that said little but revealed much. Sal, however, had moved too fast to get anything much more than her usual soft smile. Recognizing Trish from the Inn, she made an effort to chat with her as well, finally introducing herself and hoping to put a name to her face in exchange.

Although she arrived at the party alone, she left it with someone---a sufficiently handsome young man from another party that had drawn her attention towards the end of the night.

The gift bag she left behind contained a small jewelry box with a gold bracelet for Jewell.
Gren Blockman
Mother Natures Son
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: The forest, the woods, the trees
14097.92 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wearing a snappy plaid shirt with a suit jacket thrown over top, Gren made his way into the rooftop lounge, trying to be as calm and cool as he could be, and failing miserably.

“It’s only alcohol, not Dragons or Cyclops. You don’t have to look at it if you don’t want to.”

Shaking his shoulders as if trying to loosen up, he made his way over to Jewell, and offered up his present for the night. It was a large box of organic and eco-friendly coffee. That stuff was getting expensive.

"It’s Whispering Wyvern “Shade Grown” Coffee, certified “Eco Okie-Dokie” by the “RhyDin Defense Fund Against Coffee Deforestation”. I’ll just leave it right over . . . oh.” Then Gren noticed all the alcohol at the bar that was being served. Gulping, he took a cup of the coffee in an eco friendly and renewable recycled cup and sleeve and mingled with the guests. He noticed a lot of former opponents from IFL season 2017 that had just recently wrapped up, and he offered them a nod and a smile. Eden and Lucy got waves as well. So Gren was there to wish his Real RhyDin teammate a happy birthday.
ValentinaEglantine
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Dockside, usually - or wherever Rand happens to be.
979.76 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The party wasn’t far, not that it mattered, since Rand was able to Mist them right on to the rooftop itself. Careful observers might have noticed a third figure appear near the street entrance, and take up a patrol of the building. Val, for her part, was much more focused on trying to move as gracefully as possible while nearly 6 months pregnant with twins. There was no way they were going to miss the party, and they made sure to find the birthday faerie first thing, giving birthday kisses and careful hugs

Jewell was ecstatic to see them both. “Oh you just look darling, Val! And so gorgeous,” she added, stepping back after hugging her with a shake of her head. “How you manage to look so elegant pregnant… I’m pea green with envy. And you!” She hugged Rand, “I mustn’t forget the handsome arm candy. Where did you pick up this one, Val?” Jewell teased. “I think he might be a keeper.”

“I should hope so. I enjoy being kept by her.” Rand was all smiles for Jewell, giving her a hug and sneaking a kiss on her cheek. “And you look lovely as well, Jewell, of course.”

“The marketplace...he was trying to save me from poison apples.” It wasn’t quite the first time, but the joke brought a smile to Val’s lips, even as she tilted her head to look Jewell over. “Please, darling...I am simply fortunate I have a husband who can afford the vast amounts of fabric required to dress me these days - and I’ve still three months to go! You, on the other hand, look absolutely enchanting. You always do. But you’re glowing, again, which is a joy to see.”

“I’m pretty sure there’s a fairy tale that starts that way,” she mused. Jewell was thinking of Snow White of course, but the version she had learned in Faerie was apparently a bit different! “And thank you. It’s the magic of the evening, of course. I also spent last weekend in very good company.” It didn’t take her long to glance around and locate the devastatingly handsome Sinjin Fai (who had apparently commandeered the bar for a time) before she turned back to her friends, all smiles. “I am so glad you could come! Do you want a drink? Food? Do you need to sit down?”

Val followed the fae Empress’ gaze, and nodded approvingly. “Wonderful. You deserve nothing but the best, dearest. And I do think sitting might be wise. Why don’t you and I catch up, and my beloved husband can bring us some refreshments.” It would also give Rand a chance to circulate and say hello - Val could see several friendly and familiar faces in the crowd. She was with Jewell, and Jarvan was downstairs...they were as safe here as they were at home.

“Of course. Serving lovely ladies is a hobby of mine.” He winked at Jewell and leaned in to catch a quick kiss from Val before she was stolen away, as usually happened when they met up with the Empress. Then it was time to mingle a little, charm a bit more, and get lots of food.

“Sounds like the perfect plan.” Jewell looped her arm around Val’s, made a kissy-face at Rand, and then stole his wife away to one of the lounge couches surrounding a fire pit table. “Did you see the fireflies? Sin brought them. They’re so lovely.”

Arm in arm, Val took a moment to appraise both the lovely woman next to her, and the man she assumed was the bringer of fireflies. “He seems to have brought a great deal of sparkle, yes. The fireflies are a perfect touch. I don’t believe I have met the man in question...is he new? I thought I saw Cane...and Sal, of course.” The D’Angeline’s voice held no judgement, merely curiosity. She was devastatingly firm her belief that Jewell deserved nothing more than to be treated like the Empress she was.

“Oh yes, Canaan and Salvador were here,” she remarked, distracting herself from thoughts of her private encounter with Cane by making sure Val got settled first before taking a seat beside her and angling herself towards her friend. “I’ll have to introduce you to Sin before the night is through. We’ve known each other a long time,” Jewell’s smile was all fondness. “Never met a man more charming than he is.”

Val had gotten decently proficient at sitting without flopping, although sometimes it was a near thing. “Really? I will certainly have to meet him then...anyone more charming than Dorian must be a delight. I take it he’s been away…” Reaching over, she took Jewell’s hand in one of hers, and gave a light squeeze. “You really are looking enchanting. Serenely beautiful. Both Rand and I noticed it as soon as we arrived.”

“For a time, yes. I have been fortunate to have his company in the last several weeks, though.” There was nothing devilish in Jewell’s smile at the remark. She was truly and sincerely grateful. “And thank you,” she returned that little squeeze to her hand. “You’re both always so good to me. But how have you been feeling?”

“Like a cow.” Valentina let out a laugh, and laid a hand on her expansive belly. “In all seriousness, I am well. Rand makes certain I want for nothing, although some of the cravings have been...frightfully specific. The other day I wanted nothing but a particular apple pastry Dorian used to bring from home...Rand woke him, and dragged him from his bed to take him to the bakery. And bought out every one they had. Speaking of…” She picked up the box Rand had left behind, purple and silver, with Mont Sucre written in script across the top. “Happy Birthday, darling…”

Jewell’s laughter was sweet on the night air at this story from Val. “Oh I wish I remembered the cravings I used to have, though I’m not sure if they were ever that troublesome.” At the offering of the gift, she blushed, “You didn’t have to get me anything, darling. I was sincere when I said your presence was enough.” Still, she was a greedy little thing and took the present all the same.

“Much as I have gotten used to living here, it seems my cravings are insisting on reminding me of home.” Leaning forward to kiss Jewell’s cheek, she waved a hand. “It is your birthday, lovely...and besides, I haven’t been able to make them often of late...so, really you are doing me a favor by making sure I still have the skill to do so. They’re a selection of the ones I made for you...and the May Queen flavors. Besides, you can share them with Sin.” There was a subtle wink, the former courtesan still retained the knowledge she’d spent years acquiring.

The suggestion tickled her sense of humor, but she only smiled gratefully and leaned in to make the kiss to her cheek an exchange. “I can’t wait to eat them. I’ll probably be a greedy monster and not share though. Your truffles are the best.”

“Then you keep them all. I won’t tell.” She held a finger to her lips, and then burst into musical laughter. “I have missed you, darling. How is Sapphire? Ishmerai? How are you? Other than spending time with such a handsome man?”

Her smile faltered only for only a second at the mention of Ishmerai, but Jewell was too adept of a socialite to let any more of her distress show (and it was only the duress her poor body was under that had even made that little slip posible). “My valiant knight is still in Faerie, but I hope he will be with me soon. I’m sure he’d be thrilled to miss a party such as this. He doesn’t really care for socializing, you know? But Sapphire on the other hand is going to be very put out. She’s been so busy with school that I didn’t want her to distract her with a party. We’ll just have to celebrate the next time she has a break.” Her half-truths were spun so effortlessly, although her conscience pricked a bit in this lack of honesty. “As for me, my heart has still be giving me some trouble but I understand it can take a long time to heal.”

Val nodded, moss green eyes catching the tiny slip, but letting it go. There would be time, later, to follow through and press for more information. This was a party, and there was much to celebrate. “It was a grave wound, but you are so strong, darling...you will make it though, I have faith.” Leaning forward, she gripped Jewell in a tight embrace. “If I have a girl, I hope she is just like you. Proud, beautiful, and as lovely inside as she is out.”

The sentiment made her cry and she hugged Val tightly for a moment, “I don’t deserve you. Truly.” Then she was laughing, somewhat ashamed at her tears. Jewell grabbed a napkin from the table and dabbed at her eyes. “If it wasn’t for glamour, I’d look a frightful mess.”

“Your nose is growing, miss fae.” Rand returned with a smile for the ladies, flanked by two of the staff holding trays. He gestured to one and then the other and they flowed around him like water around a rock. Trays were set by each of them, with glasses, napkins, utensils and food. “I wasn’t entirely sure what you wanted so I tried everything and got the best stuff.” It was his usual task and he delighted in it.

As he moved to sit and join them, he whispered in Jewell’s ear. “I’m not sure I deserve her either but we’ll have to accept it.” He chose a seat next to Val, where he could participate in the conversation if needed, but also look out across the crowds.

Val let out a laugh, as Rand returned with trays of food, and shook her head. “Chryrie told him I needed to eat enough for three...I think he thought she meant three of him. And you could never look a frightful mess, dearest. It isn’t possible. You are too stunning on the inside.”

Jewell’s laughter mingled with Val’s, “It certainly seems like he misunderstood!” As for the compliment, she merely reached over and squeezed Val’s hand again before addressing Rand, “Did you clean out the kitchen, dear?”

He had been scanning the room and looked back with a smile. “Of course not. I left scraps for the peasants.” There was a wink and he reached to pick up something wrapped in bacon. “I’m not a monster.”

“I am!” Jewell asserted. “But the pretty kind.” She hadn’t been hungry much at all as of late, but something wrapped in bacon looked amazing and she couldn’t resist at least one bite.

Watching them eat made Val smile, and she leaned forward, selecting a stuffed mushroom and taking a bite, and chewing carefully. “You are beautiful, dear, never forget it. And as for you…” She winked over at Rand. “Did you make certain Jarvan gets something to eat?”

Mouth still full of food, he nodded and smiled at Val. After a moment of chewing and swallowing he spoke. “He is not fond of parties. Much like Jewell’s knight. But he does his duty and well. And he eats, of course.”

“Ah Jarvan, he is the one tasked to protect our darling Val, is he?” Jewell asked as a server, seeing her empty handed, carried a Midnight Kiss drink which she accepted with quiet thanks before her attention returned to her friends.

“He is. And he is very good at it. You two take such care of me.” Reaching to squeeze both their hands, Val felt herself tearing up. “I am incredibly fortunate to have both of you in my life.” Looking out over the crowd, she gave Jewell a shy half-smile. “We’re keeping you from your party, darling…”

“Nonsense,” she waved away the concern and took a sip of her new drink. “They can have me back in a moment. I only got to hear how Val is doing, but I have heard nothing of my favorite Rand.”

It took a second, as he was holding Val’s hand and gazing at her with adoration. It sunk in and he grinned, still looking at Val. “I’m her favorite!” He looked at Jewell then, still holding Val’s hand in his. “There’s not much to tell, really. I’m being an overprotective husband and expert cravings soother. I’ve made it to the rings a few times, to stay in touch as I can. I don’t much like being away for long though.”

“Naturally. How could you stay away from this pretty face for too long,” Jewell winked aside at Val. “I haven’t been in the rings much at all except for IFL this year. I think my body appreciates the break.”

Taking the opportunity, Val took a sip of something appropriately blue, but non-alcoholic, and surveyed their private buffet. “We watched your fights. You were incredible. And congratulations on winning the whole thing!”

“Indeed! You and your team were amazing. Obviously your guidance and personality, along with such prowess in the rings.” It was fun to lay it on thick, especially when he believed it as well.

Jewell made a show of glancing around to check to see if any other Real RhyDin members were near before grinning at them, “Sure sure, I’ll accept all the credit since I am rather amazing.” Then she laughed. “Okay, I think I must away for a short while less anyone thinks you both plan to keep me all night, as much as I might enjoy that.”

“Of course. Go celebrate and be made much of! You deserve it. It is your day after all. But you will come for brunch soon.” It wasn’t a question. Val had learned something about leveraging her impending motherhood to achieve her ends.

“Of course I will,” she agreed without hesitation, leaning over to kiss Val’s cheek and squeeze Rand’s arm. “Spin this pretty lady around the dance floor at some point, huh?” Standing with a wink and drink in hand, Jewell returned to playing the perfect hostess.

Rand watched Jewell walk away and turned back to Val with a smile. “She’s very nearly as lovely as you, my dear. Did you want to dance? I know you don’t feel as graceful these days, but you shine ever brighter in my eyes, love.”

“We could try? I don’t know if I can manage, but any excuse to be in your arms, my love…” She shifted on the couch, and then looked up at him with a sigh. “You’ll have to help me up first…”

“Any excuse to hold you in my arms.” He stood and held his hands to her, helping her to her feet and then guiding them to the dance floor. It wasn’t a lively dance, but it was their own and it was wonderful. He could tell, though her steps never faltered, that she was tiring, so he gave his support and escorted her to socialize. There were many words of encouragement and blessings for a continued happy life and pregnancy. Eden was especially bubbly, but that was Eden. As the night waned, so did their energy and before too long, Rand swept her up in his arms and kissed her, summoning the Mists to take them back to the comfort and quiet of home.
Ancelin Aya
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet

444.06 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summoned by a text message from a number labeled That Really Hot Faerie Chick in his phone, Ancelin appeared in his own typically flamboyant style. As instructed, he'd arrived without a gift, and he made friends with the bartender--and anyone else within earshot-- while the woman of the hour was catching up with other friends.

A Blue Witch, A Glamour Bomb, a Midnight Kiss and several Blue Fairy shots later, the man ultimately made his way over to Jewell. Claiming a hug and maybe even a cheek kiss from the birthday girl, he graciously accepted her apologies for the lack of date-going in exchange for a dance and nebulous promises that they'd get together eventually.

"For now though, dance with me," he all but purred, "...please, while there's still time."

"There's never enough time," she responded blithely before letting him pull her out onto the dance floor for several songs.

Savoring each and every one of them, he whispered something in her ear before he released her back to her adoring masses. She kissed his cheek sweetly and nodded, but both of them knew that his offer would go unanswered. "You're a hell of a dance partner," he told her with a grin as he stepped away. "See you ...eventually."

It was an excellent party, but when he left, the smile on his face was bittersweet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Elisian Fields -> Beyond the Veil All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: