Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

Amelia's Closet of Memories

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> WestEnd -> Shadowdown LLC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amelia Boucherie
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Here. There. My feet tend to wander.
423.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Amelia's Closet of Memories Reply with quote

My memories may not go as far back as many others of my ilk, but for me they are nonetheless important. I did indeed begin my life during some very interesting times. It is not extraordinary for those of us reborn to lose our connection to our roots as time stretches forever forward. New experiences can leave little room for the old and easily forgotten. In the hopes of retaining a sense of my history, or rather my origins, I wish to keep some form of record. A diary of memories, so to speak.

From time to time, I will share tidbits of my life before and since. Just little snippets of my past that I find of interest or import. Do not count this as some form of timeline, for my memories do not flow as they were gained, but rather tantalize and tease in random order.

May I discover wisdom in this endeavor, and, if nothing else, perhaps give a picture of my life that I might pass on to those I call my children.

Ame
Amelia Boucherie
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
423.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: The Death of Silent Movies Reply with quote

When I was a girl I would beg my father to take me to Nickelodeon - where short, silent films would be shown on a large screen while someone played a piano in time to the moving pictures. My favorite was a series of shorts called "The Perils of Pauline".

But in 1927 films changed forever. I was 25 years old and still enjoying my former life when "The Jazz Singer" was released. It ran for 88 glorious minutes and was the first talking, singing musical I had the pleasure of viewing.

It was also the death of Silent Films. After "The Jazz Singer" silent films lost their luster. It did take a few years for "Talkies" to become the norm but it was the inevitable future of the industry.

Looking back today the only aspect of silent films I miss? The piano players. Sometimes they played such beautiful music - and intermission was where their talents truly shone.

Today, in the twenty-first century, I look back at "The Jazz Singer" and cringe - what was once a beautiful, amazing moment in my past life now looks somewhat creepy and far more suited labeled a B-Film today. My how things change.

Care to take a peek?
The Jazz Singer; Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet

Last edited by Amelia Boucherie on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amelia Boucherie
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
423.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: The First Time I Voted Reply with quote

I still vividly recall the first time I was allowed to vote. It was 1920 and I was all of 18 years old. It was, in a word, exhilarating. And quite the big deal, I might add. The ratification of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution passed on August 18, 1920, granting women across the U.S. the right to vote – no matter the color, race or class. As I cast my first vote I felt the weight of the fight that many women had waged over the past decades resting on my shoulders. It was a great and wondrous opportunity. It was also a declaration of independence for women in the United States as well. No longer were we simply chattel to the men in our lives. We were at long last free as any man. I was thoroughly excited and slightly overwhelmed.

In 1870, long before I was even a sparkle in my parents’ eyes, the 15th amendment was ratified granting African American Men the right to vote. During this social era, there was still a prevalent belief that women were not intelligent enough to make decisions on politics. Poppycock, I say and so did many wonderful women who stepped up and fought for women’s suffrage.

When I was a child I knew all about the Suffragette movement. My Maman was a suffragette herself. She was a very wise woman and set on seeing equality for all women in her lifetime. She may not be counted as a famous hero of the cause, but she is one of my personal heroes. Most will surely think of Susan B. Anthony, but she is not someone I would call a personal hero. That honor goes to three others outside my Maman: Ida B. Wells, Lucy Stone and Alice Paul. For me they were true heroes that stood up for the rights of all women, no matter the race or class. They spent their lives in the pursuit of women’s equality.

Although today we still face many inequalities as women, they are far fewer than in the early days of the Twentieth Century and the years before. To all women, young and old, cherish your right to vote, cherish your freedoms, for they were hard won for us by many glorious and brave women who sacrificed much to progress equality for our sex. We should honor them for the freedom they have won for us. And continue fighting for true equality for all.

Read More About My Personal Heroes Here:
Ida B. Wells (a.k.a. Ida B. Wells-Barnett)
Lucy Stone
Alice Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> WestEnd -> Shadowdown LLC All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: