Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

Moseying along

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Innsights -> Motley Moxie
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mareli Day
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: in medias res
327.02 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Moseying along Reply with quote

She should fold. She really should. It wasn't that it was a bad hand, though, true, she'd had better. No, it was the time she'd spent. Her eyes were stinging from the smoke and the stench. A few hours, five maybe? So, maybe more than a few hours had passed since she arrived in the dive that had delusions of grandeur. All proper tassled and turned our shiny, but the folk that wandered through its doors clearly took cleanliness next to godliness meaning they should pack on the dirt as if they were in their grave.

It was time to get a move on from this little waterhole of a town. Problem was, her transport wasn't due to leave until tomorrow morning. That was always the issue, fair weather or not, of relying on others to get to the next stop. She didn't take to one place long, or it didn't take to her. Mareli wasn't of a notion to think long and hard on which way that really went. She hadn't thought on that thing since...well, some years. Best not to let her mind wander.

"You callin' er what?" The man rolled his bit of sparkleaf, the local chew, from one festering pocket of his jaw to the other.

Mareli hummed one soft tone, looking the man in the eye, and threw it all in. "Let's make this a bit more interesting. You ready?"

The greed was high in the man's eyes, glimmering as if he struck upon gold. Shame then, when he turned over his cards and she turned over hers that it turned out to be fools gold. He was stuck with nothing but the drink at his one hand and the pistol in his other. "You cheated! You musta. No way you get that lucky."

"Oh," Mareli smiled as she gathered up her winnings and stood. She'd count later. "Oh, you'd be surprised how often I hear that, but isn't that just the nature of luck? Feast or famine. Seems I'm feasting at the moment, but she'll turn on me someday." She'd done it before. Luck. They'd had more than a few turns.

The man leveled his pistol at her, trembling slightly between his rage, drink, and the sparkleaf. "You give me back what's mine."

With a sigh, Mareli studied the man. She also noted from the side of her vision that no one was going to step in one way or the other. Seems they had their own buried souls to huddle around.

"Give you back what's yours." She spoke each word clearly, to see if the man would pick up on clarifying what exactly he thought was his.

"That's right. That's all I ask. Not gonna rob you like you're doin' to me." His jaw jutted out slightly with the righteousness of the outsmarted.

"Hmm," she nodded as she looked down, her hand touching on the steel round of the pommel topping her blackwood cane. With a twist, it hummed and the electric line zipped out, tagged the man's gunhand, and zapped him well enough to set him backward. The gun dropped from his spasming arm.

Donning her hat, only slightly askew as fashion dictated, Mareli nodded to the downed man and others as she strode from the building, her long coat flapping around her jean clad calves. "Fair evening to you all."

And she was gone. But to where? Place to hide up in case the man had friends until her transport was ready to go. She really needed to fix that lack of immediate transportation for the future.
Mareli Day
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
327.02 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What came with winning was hubris. She'd need to get that under control. Someday. Someday hadn't come in thirty or so years, so Mareli wasn't holding her breath that frugality was going to blossom in her over night this time either. There was always an experience to be had -- and paid for.

She sat cross-legged on the silky plush bed comforter. It's light blue sheen cradling the cards she turned one by one. The luxury transport had made a timely stop at the waystation just when she had. Mareli did not care where it was going. She was going to be on it.

It had been a long time since she had traveled across the universe in peace. In cleanliness! And this time she didn't have to sing for her supper to do it. But she did have to find a place to earn more credits or coin.

That was not going to happen on this ship. All the games were stacked against players. Don't bet against the house when the house sparkled. They have to pay for those shiny baubles with something.

Gathering up the cards, Mareli set them on the bedside table and curled over, pushing down into the embrace of the pillow and bed. She would deal with that tomorrow. There were a few places to hop off transport and mosey about for a game. Just not yet.
Mareli Day
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
327.02 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shake of her longcoat didn’t keep the strong fuel smell away. Turbines whirred to life and whimpered as they slowed to stillness once more. Sounds of machines and voices echoed up and bounced off the metal ceiling and walls. Mareli walked the length of the hangar surveying the ships for sale. Her back was to the shiny, new ones. Her pockets were too light to afford that. “Something more than parts hanging together,†she muttered.

There were plenty of buyers today. They all watched each other as much as the ships. If one paused and took a long look at one ship in particular, they all would try to see what he saw in the ship. Maybe it was a good buy. Maybe it was the gem in the pile of garbage. Others, like Mareli, kept their own counsel. She would trust her own thoughts, though her knowledge was a might bit weak. What was she thinking? A ship? Just so she could get out of town fast if someone took exception to her luck? Likely as not, she would need a book, too. “Can ya learn to fly a ship by book?†She guessed most did. And then practice. Trouble was, unlike practicing a song, miss a move on a ship, and it’s time to take a dirt nap. Mareli hummed through a wince thinking on that halo of reality. “How delightful.â€

She walked on to the next ship in line. Now, then, this looked promising.

“All your bluster. I’m standing, you wretch.†The man a few steps closer to the ship, snarled beneath his breath. Mareli couldn’t see his face, but all the tension was in his hunched shoulders. His hands at his side flexed and relaxed, grasping air only to let go again. “Took it from me, but what have you got? Nothing, now. All gone. Couldn’t feel it, but I know it was there. Heard about it. Gone, gone, gone, and I’m here. Still here.†His voice hiccupped on the last words, escaping through clenched teeth.

That man was trouble, and he glared at the ship in front of Mareli as if it had a soul and a life to shrivel under his gaze. Mareli looked back to the ship. It was…a ship. Not big. Reminded her of a beetle in a way. Its wings could tuck in close or spread out.

“What do you want?†The man turned his sharp gaze on her. She had lingered too long. Best play was to walk away. Fold the cards dealt and wait for the next hand. No fun that way.

“The ship,†she said back to him. She folded her arms, one hand holding the pommel of her cane, and gave him her best stage smile.

With one swift stride, he was a hair’s breadth away. She could smell the dirt on him. The sweat and stink wafted around her, and she instinctively held her breath until she could handle it. She missed the smell of fuel in that moment. “Not yours. Mine. By rights. Mine.â€

“I don’t know all the rules, but pretty sure you have to buy it. You all do buy and sell things on this floating rock, right?â€

“Passes to me. I’m family. I’m kin. She would have left it to me.â€

Even without overhearing his previous comments to the ghost-of-family-member-past, Mareli could tell that was a lie. The man had tells all over his person, and he was too angry to hide them. That twitch at the corner of his eye. The stillness of his hands. How broad the pupils dilated, like he was ready to blast her with his sight. On this planet, she’s not sure he couldn’t. She had seen a few things in her time here. “Well, mister, she didn’t. For sale. Says right here on the screen describing it.†She pointed to the holographic image floating above a post in front of the nose of the ship.

Mareli took a moment to realize no one had stopped to take notice of what was going on between them. People kept to themselves here, it looked like. Could be a good thing for her. If she plays her cards right too often.

“It is mine,†he stated again, as if the repetition would make it so and unnerve her. His fingers clenched and did not release, staying in white knuckled fists.

“Mister, I don’t know what happened with you and your family, but you take a swing at me, and I swear,†she tapped the top of her cane, “I will end you.â€

Someone finally noticed the growing tension between them, and an older woman with more white than red in her hair, came over. “May I help you two?†She had a badge of the hangar authority on her.

Before the man could speak, Mareli turned with a smile, setting both hands on the pommel of her cane set to the concrete floor, and leaned forward as if ready to start a tap dance. And so she was. Of a sense. “I am glad you have arrived. I’ve got my eye on this beauty here,†–beauty being in the eye of the beholder – “and think you’ve just made yourself a mighty fine sale, if we can come to terms. Let’s deliberate in the office, shall we?â€

“No!†The man shouted just as Mareli turned to walk away with the woman.

Taking a knee as she stepped forward, the man went over her shoulders. He stumbled and tripped, nearly falling down. A nearness attained when Mareli swung out her cane at his feet. He crashed to the ground. She stood, swinging the cane in a full circle, and brought the pommel down on the man’s shoulder. he shoulder crunched in chorus with the man screaming in agony.

“Now,†Mareli hooked her arm with the sales woman’s, “ante up. What’s your opening bid?â€
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Red Dragon Innsights -> Motley Moxie All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: