Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Shop     Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   

Conversations with Mach (18+ Mature Themes)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Rising Tides -> The Hunters Life
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mach
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Bullet Catcher, Village Idiot
Can Be Found: Likely where there's trouble (more likely caused by him)
24477.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~R~R~Ring

“Hello Hello.”

“Good afternoon! May I speak with Elitia Turner?”

“-Groan- Speaking…”

“- Mild chuckling- Well hello then. I’m Maj. Glen Callahan, or Dr. Callahan of the U.T.R.A but you can call me shrink, quack, doc, or whatever you’re comfortable with. You should have been expecting my call...”

“Yeah. And can do… Maj. Callahan.”

“-Chortling- Oh come now Elitia I’ve read your records, such formal titles of respect don’t really befit someone of your colorful nature.”

“-Defensive- For one, it’s Lt. Turner and two, I don’t really take a shine to head doctors... particularly when they insist on being buddy buddy with me.”

“Ahh yes. Well, perfectly understandable given the nature of our relationship. I just hope that I can garner your trust over time so as I can be of the most service to you.”

“-Derisive snort- Our relationship. You mean lap dog of purity working me to open up so I’ll tell you stuff you can nail me on, yeah?”

“-Mild sigh- Yes, officially I am following up with you to help monitor your purity for the brass but at the same time I am a doctor. Do no harm, help all in need, you know the creed yeah? And look, you say there’s nothing corrupting going on so what’s the harm in getting some of your issues worked through?”

“-Smirk- The fact that you assume there are issues to begin with is a pretty jerky view, don’t you think?”

“-Blunt- Lt. Turner, you’ve served four active combat roles with intense, live combat and have experienced great personal loss and injury all the way up to nearly fatal. If you’re fine with all that then that just means there’s something seriously wrong. Look, I don’t expect you to trust me right off the bat but at least give me a chance? Work with me and I’ll work with you.”

“-Pause with rustling in background. Snap, crackle, pop of cigarette being lit before a drag and a sighing puff- Fiiiinne. We’ll try it your way for now... to a point.”

“-Cheery- Excellent… I don’t think you’ll find this nearly as bad as you’re envisioning Lt. Turner… ”

“I can envision pretty vividly. And it's Mach. Call me Mach.”

“… Mach. Yes, your namesake. Not one that’s easily guessable of its source. Pleased to meet you Mach.”

“-Grunt, puff-”

“-Mild chuckle- Anyway, I received back the result of that Briggs-Meyer’s personality test I requested you take. An E.N.F.P. from the looks of things.”

“-Exhale- Oh yeah… why exactly did you have me take that before our first call anyway? Doesn’t the Roger C.C.A. Personality Scale in my record cover most that stuff?”

“Why? Because it provides fresh new insight into the mind of Mach of course. Helps get past some of the expectation and repetition bias inherent using the same test matrix over and over again. Besides, thought you could use some change.”

“Change… -Puff, exhale- It’s a test doc, those are pretty *** universally… multiuniverally really as I figure.”

“-Smirk- Yes, well, perhaps. But this one focuses on some aspects that the Rogers C.C.A. or even the comprehensive PACMA doesn’t touch upon. Take the Extrovert/Introvert axis for example. Sure there’s the Leadership/Subservience and Action/Reaction scales on the C.C.A but it doesn’t really go about attitude and motivation in the combinative sense as the Briggs-Meyer. I mean you score in the seventieth percentile for leadership and action both but you’re really only in the tenth percentile extrovert which is interesting. You need action and crave social interactions to a point but at the same time you need time alone and find a lot of solace in reflection….”

“-Drab- Fascinating…”

“Oh don’t give me that, you’re a natural manipulator per the PACMA. Like I said, it provides a unique and fresh view on you, a fresh lens to enhance what we already presume. I’m sure this stuff is actually very interesting to you… if it were about someone else...”

“-Snort- Alright, fine, new lens and such. So what does it say about me? Am I gonna go fruit cake and start using my mojo to make life very short for a lot of folks because of the company I happen to keep?”

“-Creak of chair tipping back- You know it doesn’t work that way Mach. It’s all about degrees. A former friend of yours I was following had a very healthy relation with his daughter whi-”

“Hold on, hold on! You were tracking Gin? Why the hell were you tracking Gin!?”

“-Clear throat- We were tracking him because of his daughter. He had a very close relationship with her which elevated his risk factor for becoming contaminated.”

“And you’re tracking me because I got a girlfriend. What… hunters having normal, healthy relationships gets them tagged as aberrant?”

“No… not really... y-”

“-Sniggering- ‘Not really’… but yeah.”

“Mach. Look at it from the vantage of the purity trackers. Is there nothing you think Gin would have done for his daughter? Do you think he’d remember his oath of temperance if she were in trouble? What about you? You’ve shown plenty of loose cannon tendencies in the past… could you tell me honestly that if… -Rustle of papers- Serah was in trouble, or needed your given abilities for something, anything, that you wouldn’t abuse the tools you’ve been granted… moreso than you would normally?”

“-Agitated exhale- Look, I know I ain't no saint but do you think I would , or Gin would have, really give up government secrets or do a one eighty of personality and start slaying folks in droves just because of l.. a relationship?”

“-Frank- Yes, I would. Or at very least having that trust, that openness to another makes you susceptible to dominance s-”

“-Growling- She is not trying to dominate me to some evil ploy!”

“I didn't say that she was! I'm merely laying out why this sort of intervention and monitoring is necessary, particularly regarding hunters in deeper relations than normally seen.”

“-Pause, puff of cigarette, exhale- And you don't think it's sort of really *** sad that having a healthy like relationship is considered a threat...?”

“Mach, I find the whole existence of your branch of the military sad. From the need to subjugate mages for the public’s safety to having to ruin the lives of soldiers so as to make them capable of enacting such control and then being fearful that they may well become that which we are using them to control. It's all one screwed up system... which is why I'm here, in the middle of it, trying to do what I can. Because while you may find all this intrusive and bothersome I'm fair sure you know how much worst it could be.”

“-Drawn out pause quiet puff of cigarette, exhale. Mild tone- That's a pretty ballsy view to have as dog for purity review.”

“Well what can I say? Want to affect change in the system then the best place to do it is in the middle. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of risk involved with hunters and rogue mages and esoteric scientist; I simply believe there is not as much to fear as some would believe. So I try to help those that I can, monitor them, guide them, and if it becomes necessary only then do I make recommendations to purity for action and only when all other options are exhausted. Certainly more a chance then many would give those like you.”

“-Another quiet puff, an exhale before the sound of a cigarette being ground out.- Alright, fine, say I believe you're earnest in this and not just gaming me. Then what? What do you want.”

“Just the chance to help you. Ben.... Gin opened up and we discussed many things on balance. Balance of who he was, of his relationship with Gina, and the road he traveled. And it was doing well for him, he heeded some of what we came up with to very positive affect.”

“Until he took a railgun bolt to the chest...”

“Yes an unfortunate circumstance. From what I... -Pause- Wait, are you...”

“No... -Sighing- I'm not blaming you for his crap luck. Sorry if it seemed that way.”

“-Challenging- Okay, but you may be blaming me for not getting him to quit being a hunter... to live his life with his family rather than continuing to go out until he met his end.”

“-Mild smirk- Nah... I know... knew Gin. Always a bit more things then just what seems. He wouldn't have quite if he wanted to. Simple and complex as that.”

“-Mild pause, creak of chair shifting- Is that so... -Adjustment of papers- You know, he did speak of you a lot. Seemed you two were rather close.

“Yeah? Huh. Suppose we sorta were like bothers in a *** sort of situation.

“Not surprising among hunters, to find at least one other whom to 'go to hell' with as it were. How are you dealing with his death?”

“-Mild rustle of a shrug- Just fine, friends die. Part of life that.”

“Mach, you know what I mean.”

“Do I? Suppose even if I did it's not something I want to discuss right now yeah?”

“Talking about what bothers you is important.”

“Yeah, well, so is not letting it control your life. Look, I'm fine enough, and if I wasn't I'll tell you. But I don't really have any interest in dwelling on this right now, yeah? So why not drop it...”

“Alright, alright, I understand. It's a touchy subject. You can talk about it when or if ever you want, but I will ask that you keep thinking about it. Putting it out of sight out of mind is a terrible coping mechanism over properly grieving.”

“-Snort- Now you're sounding like a proper shrink...”

“Don't get to have people call me doc just for giggles. -Light smirk- So then, new subject: Serah Farron.”

“-Creak of chair- Serah... what about her?”

“Enjoying yourself?”

“Quite.”

“Any difficulties?”

“To be expected when you get two folks together usually, from what I gather.”

“How about in conjunction with all the interesting reports swirling around that purities been gathering like a little collage? Of you badgering her and her being quite cross with you? A rather hot and cold seeming vacillating sort of public relation? An alteration of her physical appearance as of recent beyond what seems just cosmetic... magical almost?”

“Hey, I'll admit, there have been some interesting times, and neither of us are guiltless in them, particularly not me and my schmoozy ways. You know how it is...”

“Humor me. What are these ways that your guilty?”

“-Incredulous- You really haven't heard about 'the game?”

“-Pause, chuckle- I have, simply confirming that is what you meant. 'Schmoozy', going to have to write that down for a new way to describe that. Anyway, 'the game' is a pretty well documented defense mechanism amongst hunters. So you've been difficult by your given nature, what about Serah?”

“She... has been through a lot too. Both of us are a little colored by our experiences and circumstances.”

“Has been... so she is over such now?”

“-Uncomfortable shift- Ish... life in progress...”

“With you at her side, trying to help her through such.”

“-Mild pause- It's nothing...hnn, not like that. Like how you might think which includes bad stuff and me killing folks for her or what not, you hear. Just... being there for her.”

“Think you could elaborate on that?”

“-Long pause- Do I have to?”

“-Moments consideration- No. Not yet anyway. Whenever you are ready... just, remember to stay true to yourself and your principles. She is not everything.”

“-Annoyed- I know, I know! It's not subversive... just... someone you care for that needs some support. To be at that someones side, in their corner. I know well what my limits in such are... what hers may be for me. Known expectations, easier to manage yeah?”

“This must be the 'like' in your 'healthy like relationships.'”

“-Rustle of a shrug- What can I say, hunters are generally a crappy sort of lot and it takes a lot to change them back to a decent one and even then. -Pop sound made with lips- It's all over far to brief to matter.”

“Kind of jaded don't you think?”

“Four active combat roles with a heaping of personal loss. I think I'm afforded a little jaded.”

“Yes. But you shouldn't give up to a nihilistic view. Particularly if you're trying to build a relationship with another. Heck, even just developing bonds, friendships, companionships, confidants... it's still important to go about such with a faith in your life and your future.”

“-Drab- Hmm...”

“-Sighing- I feel you and I are going to have a lot to discuss in future sessions. For now I think I'll let you go. Don't want to tax things too much.”

“Things... like my care for listening to head doc nonesense?”

“Yeah, among others things. -Chuckle- Though before I go I wanted to show some of my sincerity. You work with me I'll work with you... and I've seen you've been fighting to get a bump in your regenerative mixture allowance pending a psych review. Well, consider yourself reviewed.”

“Wait, you're bribing me with stuff that keeps me alive?”

“I'm trying to show you that there are more benefits to working with me on some of your problems than simply a lovely little chat with someone you don't really like every so often. Think you have quite enough of those with those calls to your handler.”

“-Gaff- Is that so? Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.”

“We already know that given your life choices which have brought you here.”

“HA! You're a right cheeky bastard aren't you. Alright... thanks. Suppose you can't be all bad. Maybe it can be useful to talk with you... sometimes.”

“That's all I ask for is a chance to keep you out from anybodies crosshairs.”

“-Snort- Too late for that sentiment but thanks. Alirhgt, soooo...”

“You'll have your clearance for a bump by next week. As for today I want you to think of what we spoke on especially for next time when I'm in contact.”

“There's a next time? Aww man. -Pouty-”

“Mach...”

“Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll... I'll think on things I suppose.”

“Thank you. Now if there is nothing else.”

“Hey, Doc Callahan.”

“Yes?”

“Was... was Gin happy? With everything that was?”

“-Mild pause- You know, I'm not really at liberty to say given confidentiality even among the dead. But... yes, he was. Moreso for his abnormal relations for a hunter.”

“-Contemplative- Hmm... is that so. -Slight shuffle of head shaking- Alright, thanks.... for everything yeah? Talking and *** and keeping the goonies at bay for the time.”

“Just doing my part. You enjoy yourself Mach and we'll talk later.”

“Yeah, yeah, you too.”

Click

BEEP BEEP BEEP
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
24477.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~R~R~Ring

“Tech-e-Whiz Technology Repair Services, Regi speaking, how can I help you today?”

“-Puff, exhale- Hey Regi, it’s me, Mach.”

“Mackie boy, how are you doing my man! Not bleeding to death are you? I don’t do carry out service, right?”

“-Smirking- No, I’m not bleeding out today, thanks for the c-”

“-Crestfallen- Damn. I was hoping to do an autopsy on you too. –Lethargic sigh, background shuffling and thudding- So what can I do you for Mackenzie?”

“-Grumble, agitated puff- Repeat after me Reg - ’Hey, how you doing? Doing okay? That’s good to hear!’ You don’t start off a conversation lamenting the fact that someone isn’t dead so you can cut up their corpse for study!”

“I thought honesty was supposed to be the best policy? Besides, not every day you get the chance to dissect a hunter.”

“-Uncomfortable pause- No … just, no … you gotta learn some tact Regi. This sort of stuff is why you’re considered a threat to society man.”

“What care do I have for society? Bunch of luddite lemmings the lot of them. Why if-”

“Regi, Regi! You’re about to start villianlogue.”

“-Pause- Am I? Shoot, gotta find a new distraction I guess. Looks like the old research into the ehteri-”

“Regi! Rambling!”

“-Pause, muttering grumble- -sect you when you shuffle off yo-… -Clear throat before return to normal pressured speech- Anyway Marker, what can Reginald do for you?”

“-Sigh. Puff, weary exhale- It's Mach. M-ahh-k. Like the speed indicator yeah? Anyway, I didn't call to exercise your atrocious social skills or my patience. I'm actually looking for some information.”

“Well of course your name's Mach! -Indignant huff- What do you think I've been calling all this time? Anyway, information? Sorry but information really isn't my game, I'm a fixer not a hoarder.”

“-Blunt- Reg, honestly, you're both. Anyway, I'm more just looking for some contacts in the community.”

“Contacts in the … -Pause before a jolt- Oh no! Nonononono! I'm not turning in any of my associates Mark, I don't care what you think you've got on me!”

“Turn in? -Dumbfounded moment- Wait, no. I'm not looking to make any arrests Reg! Jeez man. No, I'm looking to find someone who's business is information, or at least being in the know about stuff I don't think is up your alley.”

“You're looking for information... from other sparkers? -Thumping leading to a high pitched whistle- Why?”

“-Shuffle of a shrug- What can I say, sparkers are a good source of information that usually goes missed by others. See patterns and connections that others don't right? And I'm looking for leads on some rather illusive sorts.”

“-Banging, tearing, and thumping followed by the splash of boiling water- So you're chasing a cold case and want some fresh perspective is it? And why should I think you're not going to arrest whoever I point you to?”

“Because I haven't arrested your ass yet when you have charges pending? -Sigh puff- Look, of course I got conditions yeah? No one or nothing too shady or morally reprehensible because I got a conscious. But come on, middlingly ambiguous sort of seedy bad I'm okay with, *** man, that's the part of spectrum where I fall into!”

“My condolences. -Sloshing, dripping, and splattering-”

“Ass. But really man, I'm just looking for another ignorably dubious contact that would know about things outside your realm of expertise.”

“-Slurping of ramen noodles- A'righf, a'righf, so whaf you loosin' forf?”

“Blood. And bodies.”

“-More slurping before silence of chewing and a swallow- Hey, I provide you blood transfusion whenever you sat yourself too much, what makes you think I wouldn't know what your looking for?”

“-Puff, exhale- Uhh 'sorry, but information really isn't my game' sound familiar to you?”

“-Scoffing- Details, details, always with the details Mort. Come on, out with it. -Slurp-”

“Yeah, the devils in them. But I'm not looking for medical grade stuff. I'm talking ritualistic things, human sacrifice material and that sorts.”

“-Pause as a few more slurps of ramen are sucked up- Thith 'ath … -Gulp- This has to do with that cult you've been mucking about with? The one to the crimson dude or something?”

“The cult to the 'Sanguine Lord', yes. Trail hasn't really taken off so I was looking for some new leads to shake out, see what produces fruit. -Puff, exhale-”

“Yeah, have heard a little about them I think. Murderous lot of cultist but not too much so so stay under the general radar. -Crack, fizz, gulping- Like their rhetoric too, and bleeding people but guess that's part of the whole spiel.”

“Uh huh, that's them: love their rhetoric, hate me, and in general the cronies are all in the dark. Even the battlemages back home can't crack them of anything more than a few baseless names and empty locations -Puff, exhale, cigarette butt being ground out- Seems some magical tampering is going on with their memories while out and about, best suspicion it's done by their 'crimson servants' that they all are so keen on.”

“-Slurp- 'Crimson servant?'”

“Blood golem, companion, familiar like things. It's partially what the blood is for. All the followers are blood mages and particularly strong ones at that though not really in the typical subterfuge and dominance sense. Probably a favor granted them by their 'lord.'”

“So …?”

“-Rustle of a shrug- Well that's the thing now. Pinching the goonies is doing little to stem the cult as they just seem to crop back up like weeds and I can't seem to get a solid bead on their larger operation so can't really get at the head of the snake, yeah?. What I do know is that they're stepping up their operations, more of the lackeys cropping up, their moves are becoming bolder for a clandestine group. All ill omens man, smack of bad juju.”

“Hmm... -Long pause with the occasional slurp- Bad juju eh?”

“Yeah, bad juju. What, got a problem with that saying?”

“Oh no! Well, yes, but only because it's you saying it. Not a good sign in any right when a hunter gets the heebie jeebies on stuff. -Thumping and shuffling before a lot of rustling- So you're looking for mass blood?”

“Yeah, or something like that. Storage or bodies or missing people or stuff. Morbid stuff or ways to cover up morbid stuff. I'm sure there's a business for that sort of affair somewhere in RhyDin and I'm sure there are a few madscis right in the muckity muck of it all.”

“Yeah, there is … -Distracted muttering, more thumping and rustling- It's where I get some of that blood you keep bleeding out but you're right, I don't really deal much in the front end of that process.”

“-Drab- How comforting. Remind me never to go to any barbeque that you hold.”

“Aw, come on man, my liver and onions are to die for.”

“-Pause- I-If that was humor, than please just give up on that endeavor now.”

“Aww, you're no fun Mochi. -Clattering rustle of a paperlanche.- Ah ha! Wait, no …. -More harried rustling- I do … do know, whe- ah! -Thud, wiffle of papers crumpling and flying- Found it! Right, I do know a guy that might have some insight into what you're looking for. A dealer in rare and illegal alchemical and medicinal ingrediants.”

“An apothecary? What would an apothecary supplier know about … -Pause of realization- Oh.”

“-Obviously grinning- Soylent green is people! -A dark chuckle followed by tamping sounds- But then it's also elves and dwarfs and minotaurs and goblinoids and any sort of sentient. Except mermaids and mermen, those go into tuna. ”

“Hey now, I said nothing too shady, right? I don't-”

“Relax, relax, this guys cool. Only harvests from his donors, doesn't kill them see. Will even pay for voluntary donations so you can pawn stuff off for a little extra cash in hard times.”

“-Wary-Yeah, sounds right benevolent.”

“-Pause of tamping- Look Muck, this guy's a saint compared to some and the closer to the nasty abyss you come the nastier the abyss dwellers are, right? But if you're gonna be some moralistic pansy about things then I'm not gonna potentially sell out one of my friends even if it's for a friend.”

“No, no, I got it, I got it! -Sigh- Sorry man. Just … getting a little caught up in the good I've been living, yeah? Live in the sun too long and you start to forget how it is in the muck and such. But don't worry, I'll be fine with your guy … you know, so long as he doesn't 'volunteer' me for donation.”

“-Moments consideration before tamping continues- Alright man, just make sure right? I'm trusting you. Betray that and … well, suppose that would make you an enemy. -Blunt and almost cold- But hey, you have the hard part! I mean, I don't really know if Danman will deal with you or, you know, 'deal with you.'”

“-Tired sigh- Right, right, be careful and be ready to run like a fatman to the last ham sandwich, got it. So you really think this guy'll know what I need to know?”

“-More tumping before one final one- Haven't a clue but at very least he might be able to point you in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, I'm not too interested in this unless you think it'll bring more hunters to RhyDin but I hope you remember who's got your back man.”

“Yeah, yeah ...”

Madsci – Regi: Danton Delorno - Delorno's Alchemical & Traditional Medicine Pharmacy
- 1 Attachment: DATMP_Directions.pdf

“Nice! Thanks Regi, as always I owe you yeah?”

“Pft, what's friendship if not mutual assured blackmail?”

“Well it's … -Pause- Well, huh, you know that actually works as a pretty good definition.”

“I know, right? Anyway Momo, anything else you need? Feeling peckish? A little short on life?”

“And then the facade of respect collapses. *** eh man.”

“What!? A man of science can dream. -Slurp of noodles, glug of soda- Oh hey, how's your squeeze enjoying that number I did for you?”

“Squeeze? -Pause- Oh yeah, the jetpack! Serah loves it man! A little embarrassed to use it around me but she takes it out quite a bit.”

“Good, good! The controls work well then?”

“Yeah, no complaints. She took to it rather quickly and doesn't have any difficulties executing basics and even recoveries before she stopped asking for assistance and just going with it. Haven't sensed the float glyph activate either so doesn't seem she's ever lost real control of it.”

“Excellent! Good thing I pinched that scheme for the Legion mechanized armor suits! A little archaic in architecture but with some modif-”

“La La La! I can't hear you! Nope, no knowing no nothing about stolen military tech to the military officer! La La La!”

“-Slurp- Oh poo, it's not like mine looks a thing like theirs anymore. Though I still think she'd have liked the arm rocket launchers.”

“Regi, she's a civi, and my girlfriend. She doesn't need arm rocket launchers.”

“I'd think a 'girl friend' of any hunter could probably use some arm rocket launchers.”

“-Drab- Har,har, my sides are splitting, truly. And what do you mean 'girl friend', she really is my girlfriend man!”

“Don't tease about your sides splitting. -Slurp- And really, she is? My condolences to her then. Least she got a sweet jetpack out of the deal.”

“H- … -Falls silent, sighs- Hmm. Yeah, maybe. Guess that makes me a selfish asshole yeah?”

“The biggest. -Stated simply- But hey, some folks see that as a charm. And everyone oughta do what makes them happy.”

“-Smirk- Right … still not letting you dissect me.”

“-Ruffle of a shrug- When reality denies there's always dreams Makie.”

“-Sigh- Friggin ass hats. Alright, I'm gonna go do some research on this Delorno guy, try to figure his game and how not to set him off.”

“A'right man, good luck on that yeah?”

“Yeah, thanks. Hopefully this pans out … -Fades out in passing thought- Anyway, thanks again Reg, I'll catch up later.”

“Anytime Mog. Happy huntings.”

Click

BEEP BEEP BEEP
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
24477.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~R~R~Ring

“U.T.R.A. Staffing and Assignments office, Jezebel speaking, how may I direct your call?”

“Hey, Lt. Turner number: 098325HL121780 returning a field report call to Cpt. Albright with M.C.P.A. ”

“Mach!? -Demure excitement- I-It's been a while since we've last spoken.”

“Yeah... -Smiling- yeah it has. How've you been beautiful?”

“Oh I... -Pause- ...wait, should you be flirting like that?”

“-Puff of cigarette- Huh?”

“Since you have a girlfriend! Jeez.... and congratulations by the way!”

“-Dumbfounded pause- Wai-...what? How would you know I-”

“From your brother Jon! You know he's dating a girl down in administration right? Well he visits the admin co-op occasionally and he and I have spoken a little. Nice young man. Anyway, he told me you had a cute picture with her and everything!”

“-Puff, sighing- 'Nice young man' is it? Asshole. Don't get taken in by his words there Jezzie, guys a worse little snake than I am.”

“Eli! He's your brother... wait, so you don't have a girlfriend?”

“-Pause, sound of hair scrubbing, agitated groan- Well, I dooo have one bu-”

“Then that's great! You better take care of her and treat her right! Be less... you and more... you I know you can be!”

“-Silent moment- What?”

“Don't 'what' me! You know what I mean... like when you were with... you know... and not with the Colonel.”

“Ellena... -Wistful, lazy puff and exhale- The Colonel huh...-Mild chuckle- Sounds like she's moving up in the world some more.”

“Mach, that relationship wasn't good for either of you. I hope you don't or haven't gotten into another one of those. I mean, Ivera is a nice enough but-”

“Jezzie, Jezzie, hey, come on... don't say anything bad about her yeah? You know me, I wouldn't be able to just stand by for that sort of thing... our relationship was what it was. There were good times, there were bad....”

“You got arrested for insubordination and sentenced to solitary for a month.”

“... Okay. Granted some bad times with some are worse than others. But we were what we needed at the time.”

“-Unconvinced- Hmm... well, then I'll just stay quiet on the subject because I don't like what was happening to you when you were with her. This Serah that you're with now... she sounds much more your pace.”

“-Mild grunt, puff of cigarette- 'My pace' eh... hmm. We'll see I guess. That's the hope at least but life ain't hardly ever peaches and cream for folks like me you know.”

“And that's what I'm talking about! -Sigh, clear throat- Anyway, I'll transfer you in at once”

“Thanks Jezzie.”

“Oh, and Mach?”

“Yeah?”

“It... it really is good to hear from you. We'll need to catch up next time you're Tang side, maybe you can bring along the saint that's gotten involved with you! -Soft giggle before the sound of tapping-”

“-Soft snort- Yeah, yeah... you too Jezzie. Hope you didn't tell Rob about me... want him to think the pressures still on to wow you. Don't want him getting lazy over a fine lady like you!”

“-Giggle- Flatterer!”

BEEP BEEP BEEP

“Lt. Turner.”

“Hey Morgan, hows tricks?”

“-Sighing- Better until this call, but suppose I couldn't have hoped for too much just because things seem to have calmed down some there.”

“-Smirk, puff- You call this 'calmed down'? Twenty plus arrests in two months all connected to this cult business?”

“I was more talking about your lack of making the purity investigators overly nervous. You are still acquainting yourself with those dangerous elements... but no one new has hit the radar and seems not too much has really cropped up to be concerned over.”

“-Exhale- Shock and surprise, exactly what I've been saying.”

“Oh don't get cocky Lt. Turner, the part that you're complaining about is the primary reason why they're not so nervous about those you're consorting with at the moment. Your dedication is showing your worth... and the no small amount of foreign affairs spinning going on to keep the government types there calm helps as well. If it weren't for all this...”

“Yeah, yeah, then I should just grow myself a magical mustache to twirl, right?”

“Cute. Real cute Eli. This isn't a joke you know.”

“Oh Morgan, it really is. Just not a very funny one.”

“Lieutenant.”

“Oh, I mean 'har, har' sir.”

“-Grumbling sigh- Fine, keep shooting yourself in the foot, see how long you can keep dancing like that. And when your ass hits the ground I hope you keep that fine humor cause there won't be anyone around to help you back up.”

“-Sigh- Right... sorry. Just, come on man, how many times am I going to get hit with the same threats until they stop?”

“About as long as it takes for them to become a reality... one way or another. -Sighing, tapping of folder- Anyway Lieutenant, I didn't request this call so as to scold you over your poor choices. I'm calling about this 'Sanguine Hunt' case that has been taking up the lions share of your time.”

“The Sanguine Hunt... yeah, real nasty business that.”

“So we've seen with the sort of rabble you've been sending back. Brass is keenly interested to know just what is being done to resolve this case that's been dragging on for half a year now.”

“-Mild snort- Leg work, yeah?”

“Leg work? This is a cult, Mach, not some criminal league. Half a year with a growing number of victims and no solid evidence is making the U.T.R.A look incompetent... and this is in compare to the local Watch there.”

“-Puff- I beg to differ. It is a cult, sure, but it's working like a criminal league. This isn't some orgy, murder group of mental degenerates lead by a cult of personality. These are dangerous folks, organizing and working to keep one step ahead of those who would shut them down. ”

“Yes, I've read some of your speculation... that there is some underlying purpose to this group beside simple worship to their dead god. But still, for things to drag on this long...”

“Is aggravating, but understandable. When I got contacted about this case by Maj. Bessick back in April I was quoted fourteen mages to contend with... and I've captured thirty seven to date. That's nearly three times the number of mages than was originally suspected of coming over. Hell, that doesn't include the Rhy'Din recruited! It's not incompetence if the original goals and assumptions prove to be wrong. Like thinking you're fighting a snake but come to find that you originally just had the tip of a wyrm's tail.”

“Some would say that you let the situation escalate.”

“Some would be *** idiots playing armchair strategist from the comforts of their cozy little offices a dimension and a half away. Look, I've been trying to get a bead on these guys but you have the reports, you know what I've been contending with.”

“-Weary sigh, creak of chair leaning back- I know. But at the same time it is my duty to try and push results from you.”

“Thought it was you're duty to make sure I don't go slap dash mad and start cooking folks for fun and profit?”

“It's a multilateral mission with you. -Flap of folders opening- So why do you think this is more than just a cult?”

“Other than the extreme measures they've taken to keep themselves and their business private and out of my sights? I dunno... just a feeling I get. Pattern's yeah? And the fact that you have this many mages flocking to a cause just seems sort of... counter-intuitive... at least to this sort of cause. You expect to see goonies, sure, but respectable battlemage knights? Academicians? Nah... maybe a few at the top but not this many.”

“So you think there's some sort of plot attracting all this 'talent', some reason beyond the worship of their dead god?”

“That's what I don't know. I mean, I get the feeling that the two are connected... that the worship is important but it's for some greater scheme that I just can't see. Can't see it, can't track it, don't know what to look for... because 'a cult in Rhy'Din' sure isn't narrowing a lot down.”

“Daft *** place... -Creak of chair adjusting upright- So you have a lot of talent, a plot within a cult, and an ever growing number of vics.... what's the plan to reign this in Lieutenant?”

“-Puff, exhale, ground out of cigarette- Well, like I said... work in progress. I'm following up on some new leads that maybe'll get me some new perspective on this... shake loose something I can use.”

“'Shake loose'... is that what all that hardware you ordered is about? Hi-quality caster carbine cartridges, crafted contact sigils and cantrips, a light hunters coat... looks like a piecemeal assault package to me.”

“...Vigorous shaking.”

“-Weary groan- Eli... this isn't-”

“It's a solid lead, I'm not going to be kicking down the door on some senior citizens bingo hall if that's what you're worried about.”

“And the source of this tip?”

“-Pause- Albright... do you really want to know that?”

“-Moments consideration- No. No I probably don't. But I imagine it is why you're requesting a refill of your slush fund.”

“Quality information isn't cheap... and sometimes you just gotta grease palms to get the gears going.”

“Hmm. So what about personal to use this excess equipment you're ordering?”

“-Slightly hesitant- I'm... improvising.”

“Mach...”

“Look, the footwork got caught sniffing about and paid for this information. If I sit on this for the six or so months for a temporary excursion force to be granted without any solid evidence the target could grow paranoid and just bug out leaving me at square one. So I'm trying to enlist some local help on the quick for this raid.”

“You know, you're taking responsibility for anyone else you involve in this case, right?”

“I know, I know... why I'm working on convincing someone who's familiar with this cult and all it's nasty... and is rather resilient.”

“Right... -Tired sigh, creak of chair- Look, Lieutenant, just... be careful, alright? Sometimes when you poke the beehive it can become dislodged and land on your head if you aren't.”

“Why Captain, I'd almost think you're concerned for me.”

“Of course I am. I don't want another hunter turned into a crater like Danub. Myself and many others care about your health; likely more than you would figure.”

“Oh?”

“Don't 'oh?' me. Your family, friends, fellow hunters. Even this inquest was prompted by Col. Trang who was following up on some of the disturbing reports that worked their way up to her desk.”

“Ivera Trang... heh, now there's a name I was sort of hoping to avoid having invoked in regards to me ever again.”

“Wh- -Pause- Oh... well, come on, that was some time ago. From what I can tell the Colonel never stopped worrying about you either... though to be honest you make that very easy for folks to do given you're reckless nature.”

“Really? Worried? Damn, hate to see if she actually starts to dislike me! -Smirk- Anyway, trust me Morgan, she's all free for you.”

“All free for...? -Mild pause, growl- Grow up Eli, not everything between two people is always about sex.”

“-Pause before a hearty chuckle- I never said... wow, you really jumped the shark there Morgan!”

“-Silence, embarrassed snort- Shut up Lieutenant. Dealing with you and your lot it's usually a good assumption that's what you're getting at.”

“-Trying to calm his cackling- Right, right, I think... I think you protest too much!”

“Lieutenant...”

“S-Sorry... -Clears throat finishing with laughter- Just screwing around with you yeah? I know you're married.”

“-Long pause, tired sigh- Right, hunter, looked into me didn't you.”

“-Mild- You've told me... I've met her. You know, I'm sure Genie would be pretty pissed if she learned that you forget who all you're talking about her to!”

“Wh-I-It's not like that! Quit twisting things around Lieutenant just because there's a sore subject for you. You're the one that dated a superior officer, and you got what was coming to you for it.”

“-Wry smirk-Yeah, sure. Maybe.”

“-Sigh, flap and tap of folders- Anyway... so something is at very least being done about these blood mages? Some resolution is on the horizon?”

“Yeah, I'm working on it. Hope this raid will go well and I'll get enough info to try bringing down the organization. Actually, in regards to that you think you could start and expedite some paperwork for a support request for me?”

“Support request? You think you'll need more hunters to take down this cult?”

“Honestly? Yeah... don't know how deep this rabbit hole goes, but I just got a bad feeling. Don't think this'll be a one man show.”

“-Tapping of pen on folder, pause, scratching- Alright, I can do that. But you know Eli, I'll need evidence bef-”

“I know! You worry about the administrative end and I'll worry about evidence. Will get that sent over to you as soon as I think I'll need a team.”

“Freshly procured from your raid is it? -Tired sigh- Alright, can do.”

“Thanks.”

“-Mild snort- Still, to have you spooked. -Pause in consideration- Does this have something to do with your relationship with Serah Farron? ”

“Wait, what!? -Shocked- No... no... just simple math, yeah? I mean, sure, I am a little more concerned about my continued well being but come on.”

“-Mild chuckle- Well, good to see Dr. Callahan's assessment is pretty accurate.”

“What? What the hell are you talking about?”

“Nothing, nothing. Just... hold on to that. Having some place, some one to return to is much more important than you probably realize to hunters like you. Good to see you might have found such.”

“-Grinning- What, you suddenly approve of my relation with a mage? Should I be recording this as a once in a lifetime experience?”

“-Snort- Laugh it up if you will but you've seen first hand evidence of such.”

“-Long pause, an aggitated smirk- Sure, worked out swimmingly for Gin. How's the grass on his plot nowadays?”

“Fresher than it had any right to be.”

“-Soft sound of teeth grinding- Yeah, yeah... so, anything more to discuss with me?”

“Hmmm -Creak of chair sitting forward- No, the Sanguine Hunt case really was the main point of this. Just wanted to touch base, see where we stood so as to pass such on to the brass. Alleviate some concerns that are overriding other concerns regarding you at the moment.”

“Well, consider yourself informed then. Though maybe I should dick and dally more on this if it'll keep negative attention off the things that shouldn't have it.”

“I wouldn't suggest that Lt. Turner. Rhy'Din may be considered a crap posting but they'll still pull you if you end up being incompetent in maintaining our presence.”

“-Coldly- Is that a threat?”

“Incentivizaiton. Just letting you know what could be on the line.”

“-Pause, derisive snort- Right. Fine. Well, if there's nothing else I got some stuff to see to.”

“That should do it, you're dismissed Lieutenant. Good hunting.”

“Yeah, yeah...sir.”

Click

"-Sighing- So there you go Colonel. Need anything else?"

"No, no, that's good. Thank you Cpt. Albright. Don't worry about the support request, I'll work on getting that moving."

"Alright. -Slight pause- Col. Trang, if I may ask-"

"You already have your answer Morgan. Told Eli it yourself."

"You don't think you should be the one talking with Lt. Turner about this? Maybe compare notes, let him or even me know what analysis has come up with?"

"I don't see a need to. Mach's got good instincts and they're serving him well. He has a good handle on the situation, and in the long run him getting this done himself will only benefit whatever agenda he has."

"Or it could get him killed. Information is blood on the battlefield ma'am."

"-Soft chuckle- That's rich coming from a noncombatant like yourself. But I trust in Eli, he'll do what needs to get done. The man's driven and has a goal after all. Anyway, thank you again for letting me listen in on this call, we'll be in touch Captain."

"Ma'am.

Click

BEEP BEEP BEEP
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
24477.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~R~R~Ring

“U.T.R.A. Vis Mallert Veteran's Affairs Hospital – Psychiatry. How may I direct your call?”

“H-Hey... um, Lt. Turner for Maj. Callahan's 14:30.”

“Dr. Callahan, one moment. -Tamping on keyboard- Ookay, I have it here. Give me a moment and I'll transfer you.”

“Th-”

BEEP. BEEP. P~R~R~

“-anks... jackass.

Click

“Dr. Glen Callahan speaking.”

“Hey doc...”

“-Surprised- Mach!”

“Yeah... it's me. What, didn't think I'd call?”

“Honestly?”

“-Snort- Yeah, yeah. Some faith you got.”

“-Dry chuckle- In my career I've found it best to reserve my faith for the stuff I think has a snowball's chance in hell to occur. -Slight pause- And you can take from that what you will. Though really... I never expected you to actually call me to setup an appointment!”

“-Mild- Yeah, well... was wanting some perspective on things.”

“Isn't that what friends are usually for? Last I heard you h-”

“Perspective from those who can actually fully appreciate my unique situation... and aren't privy to the same sorta stresses that I am, yeah?”

“-Pause- And what situation is that?”

“-Puff, pause, exhale- You know, doc, if you're going to try and be cute I'll take my problems to my usual therapists of Mo Jito or Rum Ondarocks.”

“Mach, I'm a psychiatrist, not a psychic. Now when you say 'situation' more than one comes to mind.”

“-Drag taken, exhale, silence-”

“Mach, you called me. There is obviously something bothering you that you want to talk about... can't do that if you suddenly decide to clam up.”

“-Aggitated sigh- Fine. Fine! You know about the disorder that tends to afflict all us hunters, yeah? The death clock we all face?”

“Spirita/Anima Dissociative Disorder. The degenerative disease that afflicts those not sensitive to magic.”

“And sort of puts a finite stamp on how long we'll live regardless of luck or skill, yeah.... -Puff-”

“What about it? Are you feeling distress or anger at your own mortality? A crisis of confidence?”

“-Annoyed smirk- Something sort of like that, sure. -Drag of cigarette, moments thought, exhale- I... I'm feeling lost.”

“Lost?”

“Uncertain on what to do. I mean, I accept.... accepted? Hmm... I know and understand that I'm going to kick it. All of us dipshits do the longer we spend in the corp. But... with things now...I-”

“Now...? -Pause, awe of realization- Your relationship.”

“-Wry chuff- And who says all your learning is just a crock, eh?”

“-Soft smirk- You do. -Serious- And what about all this is making you feel lost? What are your concerns?”

“-Incredulous- It isn't obvious? I mean, I'm dying, yeah?”

“We all are Mach, a condition of life.”

“-Snort- Cute, I really gotta stop saying that if I sound even half as douchy when I do. -Puff- But no, there's something... different when you know when your end is... can see it crawling up on you plain as day.”

“Yes... a crisis of mortality. It's something commonly seen with so-”

“-Snapping- I'm not talking about some increased chance of death because I work a hazardous job jackass! I'm talking about knowing that no matter what you do you will punch it at a very specific time; knowing your day of destiny long before it ever happens.”

“-Silence- Sorry. I suppose this is more the fear of the predestined, the unavoidable. What is most quoted as the reason for 'the game' with you hunters.”

“Yeah... that.”

“-Considering- You... are feeling afraid of starting a future with the woman you are dating?”

“I... kind of? More... I fear what I will become to her... both in life, and in death. That I'll be nothing more but a tragedy to her...”

“You don't want to be a burden. You don't want to saddle her with the loss of you... as more than just a friend.”

“-Long pause- Y-yeah. I don't. I mean... I know how bad it hurts to lose folk close to you... how it, how it eats away at you, numbs you to life.”

“Like Gin.”

“-Sound of teeth grinding- Yeah... like Gin. And others. And that... that's something I don't want to do to Serah... don't want to do to anyone really but particularly not her. It hurts sooo much worse when you are so involved with the person who dies.”

“Like Ellena.”

“-Mild hiss between grinding teeth before a long drag off his cigarette-”

“Have you talked about this with anyone? Barring me, of course.”

“-Angry exhale- Well, yeah. I have.”

“And?”

“Those who don't have a *** clue what it's like to have their death carved on them say I should just suck it up and live things to the fullest one day at a time, take the blissfully ignorant and flagrantly irresponsible train to my end.”

“And those who can sympathize with your unique situation?”

“-Depreciating smirk- Give you a guess what all those hunters playing the game say.”

“And what about Serah? Have you discussed this with her?”

“-Mild sigh. A crackle of cigarette before the crunch of a butt being ground out- Things are... complicated on that matter. I think... I think we're both feeling lost on this.”

“Why do you say this?”

“It just... we... there was a falling out... words were said, things done, a lot of raw emotions and thoughts surfaced... it was messy and... and things nearly ended there.”

“Nearly?”

“We talked about just going back to being friends but... I don't know. Maybe she just felt sorry for me because I was being... selfish... just gave in. Maybe I badgered her into sticking with it... Maybe. -Tired sigh before a smirk- Maybe this is why I decided to talk to a shrink who specializes in idiot hunters with atypical relations. What I meant about feeling lost.”

“Okay. Well, why do you think you badgered her into sticking with things? It sounds like you're pretty confident on where she had intended things to go.”

“Does it? -Inhale and exhale- Well, it's just that things have been... strained. Different. Like we're both kind of afraid to deal with the other, yeah?”

“Hmm... -Rustle of adjusting in chair, the soft bristly chaff of fingers grooming a beard- May I ask what caused the argument?”

“Oh... um... I sort of offered to let a woman stay at a place I owned. A friend that's working through stuff.... sort of bohemian... likes to steal spare clothes from the government apartment I have.”

“Oh. I see.”

“-Wary- See what?”

“Why she may be upset.”

“-Sighing- I know, I know. I *** up. It's just-”

“It's how you are; no ill intent, no thought of how such could be bad. Just wanted to help a friend... Oh, I know that. Read enough histories and you can start to pick up the patterns. Yours is rather text book: crushingly poor upbringing, severally adverse conditions, an inescapable need to rely on your friends and neighbors, being forced to grow up far too early so as an adult you have some rather immature, naive views on things...”

“Hey, I'm a lot of things but naive-”

“Is one of them. It's part of your culture to be open to a fault with those whom you consider friend. And you're views on who are your friends is even immature too but this is, again , to be expected.”

“-Mild groan, displeased- Is that so... well, whatever. That's what started everything, opened the flood gates as they were.”

“And introduced.. or likely, reintroduced this doubt in you. But there's more, isn't there?”

“-A moments silence before the rustle of movement. It continues for a bit before the bustle peters out with crackle. Silence is broken by the snap, crackle, pop of a lighter that precedes the long drag off the freshly lit cigarette- Yeah... she shared the same doubts... she broached the subject of just being friends once more.”

“But you are still together as of now?”

“-Sighing exhale- Yeah, for now. But I wonder if such is for the best... or if she really wants such or is just... -Soft rustle of a shrug-”

“Hmm... -Tap of pen on a paper pad- So... what is it that you want?”

“-Growling groan- I told you that's why I-”

“No, you told me you are feeling lost. But feeling lost and not having a desired destination are two entirely different things. I don't want to know what your struggles are, your reasoning and rationales for going one way or another or even another. I want to know what Eli Turner wants... where he wants to be.”

“-Angry grumble before sullen silence interrupted by the steady nursing of a cigarette-”

“-Soft exhale with the light scratching of writing in the background-”

“-Inhale, crackle of cigarette burning, pause, lazy sigh- I want to be stupid.”

“-Pause- Pardon?”

“I want to be stupid... see what happens... enjoy things. But-”

“Than there is you're answer.”

“It's not that simple doc, I can't-”

“You can't spare her from pain, you can't protect her from such. You are going to die, you always were. And maybe you see knowing when it will happen as a crushing shackle... and I'll admit, it kind of is. But there are just as many people who curse never being faced with the end until it was upon them, regretted and hated taking their lives for granted.”

“-Long pause- Well, okay... I... maybe I can see some point in that. But living for a future that can not exist... isn't that just breeding false hope?”

“-Mild rustle of a shrug- I don't see anything false about it.”

“-Incredulous- Doc...”

“What? You are in a land separated by time and space and universes away from that which is yours, surrounded by people from across the multiverse under a snarl of magic. I think if there is even a remote chance for something miraculous to happen to you than you are in the most appropriate place for it to be able to occur. Anyway, that's the beauty of hope... even a snowballs chance in hell is still a chance.”

“-Sigh- That's irresponsible.”

“-Chuckling- Life is irresponsible, it is unplanned... simply something we adapt to and roll with. It can be glorious, can be absurd, can be infinitely many things... so what's the point of trying to lay such grand plans when they'll likely just crumble anyway?”

“Well I...that is... i-it's not that-”

“Simple? But it is. Those who can not fully appreciate your situation... those who can and tell you to hunker down... they're both right in their own way. But in the end all of them are simply trying to mold the life that is theirs. They are responsible for and can only affect that one and only one life... and any other machinations they may make is just hopes and dreams for things to follow a prescribed manner.”

“-Lazy puff of cigarette, a hollow exhale through nostrils- That's a pretty deep and pretty depressing view on things, don'tcha think?”

“It isn't without it's flaws for being too broad but it works well when trying to convince hunters not to let their stupid, their conniving natures ruin things just because they're afraid to get hurt or to hurt others in kind.”

“So that simple, huh. Just go for it because damned if you do damned if you don't?”

“-Mild chuckle- There's nothing simple about it. Never will be... but if that is where you truly wish to be at this moment then at very least you shouldn't be trying to get in your own way.”

“Well... then about Serah? I mean, she's been...”

“That's her question to answer. Like I said, you can really only truly be responsible for your life and to some mild degree those lives around you but only in the most mildest of ways.”

“-Another pause punctuated by the sounds of that last drag taken before the second cigarette is ground out, hesitant- So... if her answer is that she truly does not wish to...”

“-Softly- Then you have to respect that Mach. Respect it and move on.”

“Move on huh... -Tired smirk- To what?”

“To whatever else is in your life. That is the grand dance of things. No such thing as a promised good ending.”

“-Wry chuckle- You can say that again.”

“It's the journey Mach... that's the important part. The beginning, the end, yesterday, tomorrow, you just have to take all of that with stride... make the best with it as you can.”

“Hmm.”

“-Finishing up writing- Sorry, where you hoping for a better answer?”

“-Light sigh- Not really. You're a quack, not a sage. But... thanks, for the prospective... and the *** pep talk ever.”

“-Mild chuckle- Psychiatry is all about enabling the patient to gather the strength to overcome their own hurdles. It's a lot less hand holding than I think you figure... at least the stuff that you really need.”

“-Smirk- What I need, huh? I must be a hell of a whiner then...”

“If by whiner you mean a person poorly adjusted thanks to a harsh life than yeah, sure.”

“-Light chuckle- Gee, thanks, you know me so well. -Sardonic- Anyway, I think I got some more thinking to do, figure these 'answers' you prattle on about are malleable sorts of things afterall... but yeah, thanks.”

“Any time Mach, please feel free to contact me.”

“-Snigger- Not hardly doc, but thanks anyway. Laters.”

Click

“-Sigh- Damnit... try to be well Mach.”

BEEP BEEP BEEP
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
24477.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~R~R~Ring

“Tech-e-Whiz Technology Repair Services is currently closed right now, leave a message an-”

“Regi, cut the *** and come get drunk with me.”

“-Pause-...How did you know that wasn't a recording?”

“Cause you never sleep.”

“-Thoughtful pause- But I do sleep.”

“Hardly... and when you do you're jacked in so that doesn't count. Seriously... you build robots and you can't grasp the concept of an answering machine?”

“I wouldn't want to waste their time.”

“-Eye rolling tone- Riiight... anyway, get your ass in gear. I'mma be there in-”

“Why are you coming here again?”

“Cause we're going to get drunk. Come on Reg, you're the smart one here...”

“Intelligence doesn't make me clairvoyant Meg... why not start from the top?”

“-Aggravated sigh- Look man, I just need someone to make sure I don't do something lethally stupid while I'm drunk, yeah? Chaperone with benefits...”

“-Mild- Don't you have friends to do this with?”

“Nah man, I ain't looking for a good time. I'm looking to get *** faced.”

“... Again, don't you have friends for that?”

“-Tired sigh- This isn't a social sort of affair. I... I don't want friends to be concerned over me or anyone to care really. I just... want someone to make sure I don't do anything overly stupid. An objective observer of my drunk escapades.”

“-Fiddling and clacking in the background- Good to see where I rank in the greater schema of things with you.”

“-Puff of cigarette, pause- W-Wait... I don't mean-”

“-Brightly- It is actually pretty commendable your grasp of our respective societal roles and such placement on the totem of social responsibilities to each other.”

“-Dim- And that is why I called you... well, assuming whatever the hell you just said means that you are an objective observer.”

“Quite.”

“Perfect. Then I'll be by in a bit. What do you like to pre-drunk yourself with?”

“Uncertain. I don't exactly think 'pre-drunk'ing is something people typically do.”

“It's not? Shame... guess I'll mark you down for rum too...”

“So exactly why are we going out of our way to poison your body and mind?”

“-Long pause marked by the crackles of several puffs being taken from that cigarette- Serah and me broke up...”

“Serah... -Thinking- The woman you commissioned me to make a jetpack for, yes?”

“-Tired- Y-Yeah... her.”

“-Frank- Was she displeased with the lack of rocket armaments?”

“W-What? No... no! Nothing like that!”

“Oh... I see. Then what other reason would she have to be displeased with your cohabitation agreement and mutually exclusive mating rights?”

“Wel-wait... what? -Woosh of wind waving by- No, no, never-mind, d-don't explain, not important. -Thoughtful pause- Or... or, well, maybe you could say that was important.”

“-Displeased pause- You're losing me Mitch.”

“-Crackle of cigarette, tired sigh- She... she couldn't deal with what I am...”

“A human?”

“N-No, not that! I me-”

“A carbon based biped?”

“T-That's the same thing! No! I-”

“An individual of marked favorable physicality but with a-”

“A Hunter Reg, the answer is a Hunter!”

“Ohhh~... yes, quite understandable that.”

“-Mild- Thanks for the vote of confidence there 'buddy'.”

“That wasn't one. Between 'the game' you hunters play to keep people at bay to the reasons why such could even be considered a good idea it is almost surprising to me that she agreed to your advances to begin with.”

“-Tired sigh- Yeah... I-I know. But it just... just... felt good... felt right. -Lazy puff of cigarette- I guess.. we were just fooling ourselves.”

“I always hypothesized that was a requirement for human monogamy... So what went wrong?”

“-Grumbling- Reg, I called you for someone to make sure I don't do anything too stupid on my bender. Not to talk this out. That... -Sigh- I just don't want to think about it right now...”

“Yes, I understand why you called. And I'm trying to gauge how much chance for recovery there is of this relationship so as I can adequately judge how much 'begging the question' you may do while inebriated or if you will just be inconsolably dreary and depressed.”

“-Mild, depreciating smirk- The second option... unless I get struck by not only one but two miracles and I've seen enough hands to know that double royal flushes have never been in my cards.”

“Two? -Soft tapping- Ah. Ah! Yes... hard to make a future with someone who has none and is unable to propagate one in turn.”

“Mmm... yeah, that's about the crux of it. A lot of other stuff too but... but it all comes down to that. Just don't have the time.”

“Well, my apologies on this turn of events... that is something 'friends' are supposed to say to each other in this situation, yes?”

“-Airy smirk- Yeah Reg, good for you.”

“And I'm not even on my medication. -Obviously smiling- So, the plan then. Drink, get you drunk, and then shackle her jetpack to a remote system so you can hijack her flight and terrorize her?”

“-Stunned- Yeah, drunk an.. wait, what!? -Panicked- No! Nonononononono! Bad thoughts Reg, bad thoughts! Jeez.. come on man, that isn't... I mean... why would you even consider that!?”

“Is it not also customary for the 'bros' to hate against the 'hoes' and do things to make them regret emotionally taxing the 'bros'?”

“-Stupified silence- N-... that is. Okay, first off, never say 'bros' and hoes' again... never. Second, we agreed to... to still be friends, and you do not dash friends into the ground! And lastly... lastly... -Click and grind of teeth as falls silent-”

“You... you still love her.”

“-Awkward silence interrupted by the crackle of cigarette before there is the thump and grind of it being put out- Yeah.”

“-Soft sigh- I think I'll need to bring something to knock you out and bind you then... just in case.”

“-Soft snort- Yeah... maybe best. -Soft sigh- I just... it hurts. Hurts knowing that I screwed everything... and caused her so much pain just by being who I am That... that's torture.”

“It certainly is.”

“-Scoff- Another theory?”

“I'm a madsci Mel. Spark touched. I can't just turn off who I am when it's inconvenient you know.”

“-Slight pause followed by a groan- Ah damnit... sorry man, I didn't mean-”

“It's quite alright. But just to let you know I may try to run experiments on you now when you pass out.”

“-Nervous chuckle- R-right. -Sigh- Hey, so how... how do you deal with it? I mean... you've had relationships before, right?”

“-Mild chuckle- I have. And they don't. Work that is. But luckily I generally don't care thanks to the ingrained madsci apathy I have. If someone can' t deal with who I am then they they don't deserve me.”

“O-Oh. I see...”

“Well, that or try to fix me. That was a fun relationship!”

“-Mild pause- I... I'm not sure if I really want to hear about that or not...”

“Given our past interactions? Eighty four percent chance you really don't. But I will say, I do miss her. And we occasionally meet up in the information ether.”

“-Pondering before a revelation- She's not in Rhy'Din is she.”

“Didn't make it unfortunately. But from what I understand she's happy now. She hates the medication but it keeps her connected to her family so she grins and bears it. Unlike me. Screw the medication.”

“Heh... let go of that which you love so as they can find happiness huh?”

“What? No. No, the squad of hunters on our tale stunned her during our escape. I calculated our chances of getting away at that point to be less than two percent so I continued on without her.”

“-Drab- Ah.... yes... suppose I did say I didn't really want to talk relationships so that's why I called you. Reason obvious.”

“-Chuckling- I am who I am. And you are who you are. We all live with that. So anyway, why exactly do you need a chaperone for your drinking?”

“-Depreciating smirk- Because I hate myself right now. And last time I was feeling even remotely like this I almost picked a fight with a baker that I swear would have killed me.”

“Ah. Hmm... maybe a gag too then.”

“-Snort- I want you to make sure I don't do anything terrible, not serve me up to what kinky ass fates would want me!”

“Just being cautious Melon. Just being cautious.”

“Right... anyway, we good?”

“Yeah.. sure. I don't mind. You are buying, right?”

“Until I'm a heap on the floor.”

“Then grab some cash in case I have to steal your wallet to pay after you pass out.”

“-Grumbling- Right, right. Oh hey, and Reg?”

“Yes? -Shuffling as moving to get ready-”

“Thanks.”

Click

“-Pause- You're welcome Mach.”

BEEP BEEP BEEP
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
24477.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 4 new messages. First new message received December 3 2015 at 10:05 RST:

“Hey Eli, it's Bri. Just wanted to call and wish you a Happy Birthday! I-I know. You really don't put much stock into such. -Chuckle- Always too concerned about ours to care about yours... dummy. That does reminds me, thank you for gift! Even out there you still were able to get something sent to me. Lot harder on this end though... I don't even know where to begin finding online shops for Rhy'Din much less if they'd take my credit! -Another chuckle before a thoughtful pause- Of course I don't appreciate how you left the last name part open on that placard. Asshole. Worry about your own love life rather than mine! How is Serah doing anyway? Make sure you tell her hi for me, okay? Anyway, don't mean to ramble. I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you on this day and that I hope you're enjoying it with friends and second family out there. Love you Eli, take care, okay?”

To repeat this message please press Five, to save it press Seven to- *BEEP* Message Saved. Second new message received December 3 2015 at 15:37 RST:

“HEEEY! TIA! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO! Come on Jon, wish Tia a Happy Birthday!”

“-Distant- I'm not wishing that jackass a Happy Birthday. Is that why you invited me to the store? Trap me in this car so you could ambush me into this?

“*** yeah! I learn being an ass from the masters! Anyway, why the hell did you think we were going to pick up cake?”

“I don't know, because they're tasty and you're turning into a fatass?”

“-Sounds of tires squealing, a loud smack, and muffled angry words likely cursing- ANYWAY, Congrats on another year... man, can't believe we're in our 30's! That ***'s wild! Doesn't seem like that long ago we were lighting up the streets of the old neighborhood just raising hell.”

“-Scoffing- The hell you talking about, you still do that with those dumbass friends of yours.”

“Pft, that ain't the same man. Me and Eli were something else... and we raised the rest of you snots!”

“Raised... that's debatable”

“Oh shut up Jon... Anyway man, hope you're living it up today man! Make sure to party for the both of us, yeah?”

“Shouldn't you be encouraging him to be responsible. -Sighing- Moron. But be safe... and have fun.”

“-Exaggerated pause- W-wait, did you actually say something encouraging?”

“...S-shut up man, I-”

“Oh ***! Eli! Make sure you save this message! We gotta save this evidence of Jon not being a prick for all prosperity man!”

“Asshole, shut up and give me the ph~ -sound of struggle... thump, thump, beep-"

To repeat this message please press Five, to sa- *BEEP* Message Saved. Third new message received December 3 2015 at 17:21 RST:

“Ha~ppy Birth~day Eli! Hope you're having a good one!!! Call me back, okay? Your last letter has me a little concerned. I'm hoping you're just being an idiot and not an idiot! Anyway, have fun and enjoy yourself! Ta~!"

To repeat this message please press five, to save it press Seven to del- *BEEP* Message Deleted. Fourth new message received December 3 2015 at 21:40 RST:

"Look who made it to thirty two! *** Mach, you've yet again crushed some of our betting pools hopes and dreams with your persistence man! -Chuckling- But still, good to see you make it another. Been a crap year all around but you did out live 8-Ball and Rain.”

“-Distant- Don't forget Young."

“What..? Oh yeah! Young! Did you hear the dumbass went and died getting himself a blowjob from a vamp? I mean, seriously, who does that!? 'Yeah, let me stick my blood filled appendage in your mouth... why yes, I do like it rough, please, use teeth...!' I mean, really. Idiot! That's the stupid of stupid sort of mistake... but then guess he was sorta tired of it all. -Thoughtful pause- Hmm... anyway, congrats on it Mach. Just wanted to wish you well given where you're at so separated from everything and everyone. Hope you're doing at least something fun even if no one knows what today is to you... owe that much to yourself, yeah? Anyway, you take care. Good hunting.”

To repeat this message please press- *BEEP* Message Deleted. You have no new messages. To setup a customized vo-

Click
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
24477.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T~T~T~Ting

T~T~T~Ting

T~T~T~Ting

“Yo, this is Mach, sorry I missed you but if you'll leave your name and n-”

“Ah, that humor of yours serves you well as always Mr. Turner, to think you could pull a fast one over me.”

“-Long pause, sigh- What do you want Delorno.”

“-Tsking- Such hostility, and I would think we'd have gotten over such by now in our relationship.”

“Nope, sorry, I'm petty like that.”

“-Drab chuckle- Well no matter. I have another request to make of our illustrious hunter.”

“You mean order.”

“Oh come now, orders are for the military which holds your leash Mr. Turner. In our organization we are simply like minded individuals working towards the same goals. Equals as it were. And as equals-”

“Yeah, yeah, equals make requests, governments give orders; whatever turn of phrase floats your boat but you and I both know where things stand.”

“Hmm... well, whatever. I suppose even you need some way to skirt your conscious of the perceived 'wrong' your doing.”

“Hey, I don't-”

“Moving on...there is an individual, Corwin Davos, which we have reason to believe is making their way to Rhy'Din. They are taking means... not ours, to get here and we suspect they've already garnered the attention of the U.T.R.A. so you should be receiving their dossier in the not too distant future.”

“Right. And?”

“We would like you to collect this individual and deliver them to one of our offices, you'll receive details once you've checked in after acquiring them, of course.”

“So you want me to snatch them and dump them off with you, what do I tell the government folks that hold my leash happened to them?”

“Why you'll tell them that you eliminated the target, of course. We'll provide you with an explosion for cover, don't worry.”

“And am I really doing that...?”

“Hmm?”

“Eliminating them. Is that what I'm doing?”

“-Pause- Mmm, do you really want to know what is to become of Mr. Davos?”

“I'd like to know if I'm going to have to worry about them coming after me in the future or blowing my lie because they've popped back up after I've said they were toast.”

“-Soft chuckle- Oh you do like to worry. Be at peace, Mr. Davos will not prove any future problems for you, that I can garauntee.”

“-Dimly- Lovely.”

“You know it's that bad habit of overthinking things which robs you of so much peace.”

“I'd rather have a lack of peace than a lack of acknowledgment of what I'm doing.”

“What you're doing? Why it's your job of course, or do you only turn a blind eye to what you do and have done when it's done for an 'order'?”

“-Disapproving grunt- Yeah, yeah. Corwin Davos, snatch and call, deliver to random ass location, got it. Anything else?”

“No, not really, unless you were wishing some other payment for this side job then the services we already provide at cost.”

“No.”

“Then that is all. Good day and, how do you people say it... 'good hunting', yes?”

Click
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
24477.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~R~R~Ring

"U.T.R.A. Staffing and Assignments office, Sgt. Bramston speaking, how may I direct your call?

β€œ[color=blue]Hey Rich, how’s tricks?
”

β€œ... Cpt. Turner... HL...121780. You’re late on your check in call... sir.”

β€œOh yeah, uh, sorry, busy busy with all the weird and criminal out here you know…”

β€œUh huh... Looks like the Colonel can squeeze you in. Transferring now, sir.”

β€œRight, th-”

Click, Beep, Beep

β€œ-anks...”

β€œ121780... You’re late with your check in call.”

β€œ-Cigarette crackle- Yeah, sorry β€˜bout that, I’ve been busy. You should have all th-”

β€œAre you smoking? Put that out Cpt. Turner, this is military review.”

β€œ-Pause, light click of tongue, grinding- Whatever, you’re the boss.”

β€œIt's protocol, captain. Smoking is not allowed on U.T.R.A. administered grounds. You are in an iso-room at the satellite office, correct?”

β€œ-Irritated sigh- Yeah, yeah, protocol and secrecy and crap… I get it, it’s out, okay? Can we get on with this?”

β€œNeed I remind you that you’re the one cutting into my time with your inability to keep to schedule…?”

β€œHey man, I’m okay skipping out on these if you are. No need to waste either of our time, yeah?”

β€œ-Terse- You of all people do not get to speak of what is a β€˜waste of time’ and what’s not. Someone has to manage your moral compass and duty as you have well proven you’re not up to task. Or do you disagree with the assessment passed by the Purity and Disciplinary boards when they reinstated you and assigned you back to your old post?”

β€œ-Muted grinding-… No. Sir. I do not.”

β€œI didn’t think so. –Typing- Alright… looks like you’ve had another particularly busy month of hunts, both assigned and accepted local writs of bounty. Success rate… acceptable, though I see you’re elimination rate is still above par for what you were pulling prior - Laslow, Dellard, Davos…”

β€œ-Drab- You know how unpredictable and unstable on-the-run empowered folk can be. Sometimes they’re just… not containable...”

β€œ-Snort- Very true, though given your history you were a fair bit more bleeding heart before. Well, for a time anyway at least… still not nearly as… effective… as you were eight years ago when you lost your command.”

β€œ-Muted grinding, soft throaty growl-”

β€œβ€¦ No? Still a bleeding heart then, even though those animals tried to take you apart during your incarceration?”

β€œ-Irritated- Is there a point you’re trying to get at or are you just wasting my time…Sir.”

β€œβ€¦Hmm… no, I suppose not. Just trying to make conversation.”

β€œDon’t.”

β€œHmm. –More typing- Anyway, whether it’s newfound zeal or increased incompetence do keep the explosions to a minimum. As I understand the local government there is miraculously taking a crack at improving civil services in an attempt to stymie the fallout of the almost weather like disaster patterns there. Your adding to the headache is not doing our foreign affairs departments any favors.”

β€œRight, I’ll make sure to try tickling first and let them use the explosions on me.”

β€œDon’t be glib.”

β€œDon’t make it so easy by being inane.”

β€œ-Tense, silent pause; staccato typing- I see you’re still practicing some modicum of moderation with your associations now… or at very least there are no witnessed reports of you carousing around with corrupting influences as you were so want to do before. That fae royalty, the winged creature, those numerous unchained mages… Maybe you do learn, if only via the hard way.”

β€œDuur, I cans learned?”

β€œTurner.”

β€œYeah, yeah, glib, inane. But come on, are you really busting my balls because I’ve been keeping my head down? Been a little too good? Cause if that’s the case there’s this sweet little snake girl…”

β€œNo, Turner, I’m not β€˜busting your balls’ over any perceived improvement of your temperament. I just find it a little… convenient… that you’ve had such a drastic change of heart is all. β€˜Stubborn’ was tossed around quite often in almost all your prior evaluation records.”

β€œ-Snort- Stubborn, not stupid.”

β€œDebatable. –Typing- I do see that you’re still noted to be seen at some social events with the same recurrent individual - pale skin, red hair, goes by Keegan, I believe... Still nothing to say about them?”

β€œNo sir, still none of your business.”

β€œQuite so it seems as it still doesn’t appear there are any records on this individual.”

β€œ-Mild cough- No records that you’ve found, at least. Maybe outta get a better purity spy… or at least one with a better sense of humor if you have the poor schlub trying to go through the joke of a public records department here in Rhy’Din.”

β€œOr you could just volunteer information on them. The innocent have nothing to hide.”

β€œOh? Thought I did…”

β€œYes… the self-reported dossier you submitted at the start of the year. Quite the entertaining bit of fiction you’ve spun – the tale of a ho hum individual, wild in the sheets, that’s nigh impossible to corroborate or follow up on.”

β€œHey, if you really want it I can provide videographic evidence of just how wild they can be between the sheets and everywhere else. Far be it for me to judge whatever gets your rocks off…”

β€œAnd again another deflection. –Sighing- It’s getting old Turner.”

β€œNot half as much as it is for me. Look, they’re just a girl, okay? Another lost soul in this city that has no shortage of such - warm, comforting, and they’re completely safe for my purity. So they’re my business and mine alone.”

β€œYou say that and yet right here in your record you’re noted to have been in close, even intimate relations with not only an unchained mage but demi-humans and non-human creatures alike; and this is just during your brief time in Rhy’Din. So you must forgive me if I am rather suspect about taking you for your word.”

β€œWell, whether you believe me or not is your choice, not mine. And unless you’re going to jump through the hoops to serve me a warrant I’ve got no reason to humor you. Now, if Cpt. Albright were my handler than maybe…”

β€œYou know as well as I that that’s never going to happen. If you ever show up in front of a purity inquest again there won’t a light strong enough to reach the bottom of the hole you’ll be thrown into. –Pause- Though then again Cpt. Albright could become your handler again, or at least help keep you company wherever you may find yourself buried…”

β€œ-Pause before the soft grind of teeth- Right. Sir. Still nothing for you to know.”

β€œHmm. –Typing- You know, if you’d just stuck with that one individual who you called in favors to protect when you were hospitalized… Ms. Boudreaux… then everything would be fine on these accounts. Proof positive human and they seemed to have had the same lack of self-preservation that you do.”

β€œ-Tired sigh, sullen- Yeah, well, gotta balance the scales of disappointment somehow...”

β€œSo I see. You know, that capricious nature of yours doesn’t actually serve you that well.”

β€œYeah? No ***.”

β€œ-Dry chuckle- I suppose it can’t be helped. –Typing- Though, perhaps, it’s a symptom of a bigger problem? Such as the affliction that discharged Maj. Ruth Ibanez of Rhy’Din General so claims you suffer from....?”

β€œβ€¦ W-what?”

β€œSpirita-Anima Dissociative Disorder, Stage 4. Or so she stated in a rather strongly worded letter to the Health Board. Demanded your immediate relief from active duty; actually, for diagnosis and supportive care.”

β€œβ€¦ Did she now -Taut sigh-… And?”

β€œAnd?”

β€œDo you believe what she said?”

β€œBelief is not my job Turner – facts are; and from your record you passed your last physical. Your tolerances appear diminished from your last license review and yours saturation is… rather high… but not so as to bar you from duty. Was this assessment incorrect?”

β€œ-Pause- No… no it’s not.”

β€œSo what Dr. Ibanez said about your condition…?”

β€œβ€¦ Completely baseless, sir.”

β€œGood. –Typing- Wouldn’t want a soldier with SAD-D traipsing around a land chock full of magic now, would we?”

β€œNo, sir.”

β€œBut I guess that means that capricious nature of yours is just a personal failure, huh?”

β€œ-Growled- Yeah… guess so.”

β€œ-Pleased- Hmm. –Typing- Well, aside from your still damage biased methods then I suppose you are performing adequately at your post for the moment… sans the mysterious comfort you’ve opted to keep. If they’re going to be a long term fixture in your life there in that rather corruptive land you know we will need proper documentation of them at some point regardless if you think it is our business or not. You are still under the watchful probation of Purity, after all. ”

β€œI… I know. –Sigh- You… don’t have to worry about that…”

β€œOh…? –Amused- Ah. That capricious nature.”

β€œ-Weary- Yeah… something like that.”

β€œ-Pause, typing- Probably for the best then. One needs focus and resolve to be the line in the sand against chaos as we are. –Emphasized keystroke- Well then, I believe we are done with this check in. Do you have any questions for me?”

β€œNone, sir.”

β€œGood. Then you are excused. –Pause- Oh, and don’t be late for your next check in.”

β€œRight.”

"Right...?"

"Sir."

Click
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Rising Tides -> The Hunters Life All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: