Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

Evening of the Seventh

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> RhyDin Town Center -> Queer Portents
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mallory
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Apothecary, Alchemist
Can Be Found: The Lyceum or Kabuki Street, most of the time
50581.10 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Evening of the Seventh Reply with quote

Kabuki Street was packed when Tanabata came, filled with lanterns and streamers, stalls for food and others for games, and parades of marchers and dancers in brightly patterned outfits. They had set out paper lanterns for the four fallen members of the rengou-kai at dusk, before most of them were ready for the evening festivities, sending the floating memorials away on the wind from the top of the Zama Shrine; but the solemn mood among the delinquents did not survive the festive atmosphere for very long.

Mallory met Eri at the bottom of the steps of the shrine, somewhere between each of them asking the girl manning the omikuji box for a fortune. The witch planned to ascend the steps, purify herself and say a little prayer in a minute, but that could wait. She caught the edge of one of the sukeban's sleeves and tugged gently.

Eri looked back at her with a bright smile. "Mal!" she exclaimed. "You look great in your yukata!" She leaned in to kiss her, lips still tasting of the watermelon she'd just finished.

The kiss threw Mallory off kilter, still taking in the unfamiliar sight of her girlfriend in a beautiful yukata, with her hair done up with a floral pin. She hummed happily, and she could feel how pink her cheeks were when they drew back. "You look..." God, they burned. She let out an embarrassed laugh. "You look beautiful."

They weren't alone. Her brother calling out a greeting, and Penny making her way over, snapped her back to reality. There were people she wanted to talk to, and she still had to receive her fortune and make a formal offering up at the shrine.

Soon she was climbing the steps, up through the gate and off to one side, and as she climbed she stared up at the roof of the Zama Shrine and the beautifully dark blue sky beyond, glimmering with starlight...

Suikawari, the fine art of being blindfolded and spun in circles and hitting a watermelon with a stick, was a lot harder than it looked. Mallory could hear people cheering on their chosen "champions" and yelling advice, and did her best to totter away from them and towards her target. One step... two... three... four...

When she got to ten, she raised up the stick high over her head and brought it down as hard as she could.

She was expecting the sound of a melon rind being split, or more likely, the crack of the stick hitting the pavement right before it bounced back and hit her in the face. Instead, she heard a whiff, a gasp, and a loud splat followed by startled shrieks and stamping feet.

"Abunai!" she heard Eri cry out helpfully.

Mallory hitched her blindfold up with her thumb and stared around the cardboard playing area, devoid of any sign of her watermelon, not even a single seed. "Hey, where did it go?"

"Mm, you made the one in a million shot!" Eri declared, gesturing to a cluster of festival-goers shaking chunks of watermelon and watermelon juice from their yukata. Some of them looked less than pleased, though others were laughing, and she thought she heard a speculative cry of "Food fight?!" somewhere deeper in the crowd.

Mallory took in the sight of her misfire with wide eyes, reached out to snatch Eri's hand and whispered insistently to her: "Amscray."

Eri blinked in confusion as the witch tugged her away from the contest to run. "Eeh? I haven't gotten to take a swing yet!" she protested, clopping along after the witch in her geta with surprising speed and balance.

"No time for that, we've been made!" Mallory countered as they darted through the crowd, squeezing through the line for a ring ross game, narrowly missing Penny and Trick as they made their escape. "Disguises," she said, and pointed to a mask vendor down the way. They hurried over, throwing cash from their handbags at the startled merchant while they picked two masks at random, still putting them on when they dashed off again!

Mallory's was a bright yellow fox mask that made it difficult to see, with long black-tipped ears, while Eri's was a red tengu mask that she giggled through as she followed the witch. Their loudly clacking geta finally clattered to a halt as they reached the low retaining wall by the shrine, giggling breathlessly as they claimed a seat together.

Mallory sighed through her laughter as she pulled the mask carefully up to the top of her head, mindful of her hairpin. "Hey," she said to Eri.

There was an ominous thump from the direction of the harbor, and both of them turned to look, though no explosion seemed to follow and only a pinpoint of light. The Swiss experts were firing an observation mortar as a test shot, in a prelude of the show to come. Eri looked back at Mal, laughing as she pushed her mask up as well. "Hey, Mal."

Mallory's grin widened, taking on an almost goofy effect. Her vibrant green eyes ticked around slightly, taking in all of her face. She was weighing something. "When you... came back," she said slowly, though her smile did not diminish at the subject as it usually did, "...what's the first thing you remember hearing from me?"

Eri thought about that for a moment, turning her head to look up at the sky. "Hmm... I remember seeing you. And being calmed down. 'Cause first I wanted to wreck the place since I was frustrated I hadn't been able to get out of the cavern. Then the next I remember, I was waking up again and finding the note you wrote me."

"You didn't see us at the temple, then," the witch said quietly. One of the rengou-kai's young "shrimp" found her, someone she'd sent out to fetch drinks for them earlier. The adolescent delinquent gave her a wide-eyed look, sensing the gravity of the conversation, and thrust a couple of beers at them before scampering off.

Eri nodded. "Only at the cavern entrance," she said, and took one of the beers from the delinquent and set it down on the low wall. "I only remember seeing you there. Were there others close?"

Mallory nodded and removed the mask from the top of her head, turning it over in her hand thoughtfully. Thinking of the broken one she had left in the temple... "Roka and Saori, not far behind me." Her eyes roved restlessly over the pavement and the passing crowd. "Could you hear me?"

Eri thought on this longer, not noticing a second test shot over the harbor this time. "I could hear you. You were speaking to me. But by the time I could get back to the house and where my body was, I couldn't remember if I heard what you said to me." She frowned over that for a moment, but soon brightened with a burst of her usual optimism and added, "I kept the note you left, though! I have it framed."

Mallory turned pink, both at her own thoughts and when Eri mentioned framing the note. She reached over and squeezed the delinquent's hand, and turned her head in the direction of the second test shot. "...I'm glad I have you back," she said, lips curling into a smile as she watched the western night sky.

"Mal, you turned pink again!" Eri exclaimed as she watched her. She was thinking over her return to the world, but she beamed a smile nonetheless when she felt and returned the squeeze to her hand. She leaned over to sneak in a kiss to her curled lips before looking west as well, just in time, as the show began.

It was a carefully coordinated and choreographed barrage of fireworks, incorporating all shades of flare and timed patterns, as well as the custom effects that made this an award-winning team.

Mallory giggled softly at the kiss pressed to her smile, and gave Eri's hand another squeeze as the first bursts of fireworks went off over the harbor, some of them loud enough to thud in her chest, where her heart was beating about a mile a minute. She heard Eri sigh, and her smile widened when she felt the delinquent rest her head on her shoulder.

She finally set her mask aside and slid an arm around Eri, holding her closer. "I love you." Just loud enough to be heard over the boom of the fireworks.

Eri looked away from the fireworks to admire Mallory as she leaned back, illuminated by the bursts of light. "I love you!" she declared, raising her voice to be heard. Even with the sounds of the crowd exclaiming over the effects, she kept her gaze on the witch.

Mallory grinned at Eri's shout, her gaze moving over to her and the way she looked at her. "There's something I really want to tell you...!" She had to raise her voice too, now, to be heard over the fireworks show and the rise of the music, as it changed tracks and the fireworks burst to the beat. She turned her head to her ear and spoke in a loud, low, clear voice: "You're the most beautiful creature I will ever know."

The words she had spoken to her at the temple. If Eri couldn't remember them, she deserved to hear them again; Mallory needed her to hear them again.

Eri's beaming smile was able to reflect the colors of the show, and the glow made her even more radiant as she listened to what the witch said into her ear. Eri made a delighted sound and reached out to wrap both arms around Mallory, planting another kiss on her lips.

Mallory squeezed Eri tightly with both arms, giggling softly into the kiss, and drew her face back enough to tip their brows together. Her hands came up to hold her jaw, drawing her thumbs along her cheeks. "Will you marry me?"

Eri's eyes widened with surprise that momentarily stifled her giggling. She nodded quickly, vigorously. "Yes, of course I will!" she shouted, audible for a moment between explosions. "I couldn't imagine ever not being with you," the delinquent added with a sniffle, tears reflecting the lights as her eyes looked directly into Mal's.

Mallory giggled at first, surprised at herself, then at the two of them, her tears mirroring Eri's own as she looked into Eri's eyes. Then she laughed louder, a high, delighted peal of it as she squeezed the delinquent to her chest, tugging her away from the wall to spin with her. Eri clung to Mallory strongly as she spun about on the sidewalk. In her delight her giggling resumed, though hardly audible now over the dramatic swell of the orchestral score, as the fireworks show reached its grand finale.

The witch giggled her way through the last of several more kisses, and forced herself to take a step back from the delinquent. She made a small gesture with her left hand as she willed a trinket out of a small planar pocket, now clutching something in her fingers there, and held out her other hand for Eri's. She knew the finale was going off right about now, based on the rising music and the noise of the crowd and the more frequent and dramatic booms from the fireworks, but she couldn't tear her eyes away.

Eri was still giggling, with streaks of tears now visible on her face. At Mallory's gesture, she gave over her hand. She seemed to have lost track of the sounds around her as she stared at the witch.

It was a dark blue sapphire ring on a white gold band, a familiar color; the stone itself was a match for the ring they had plucked from Mist's mine. "It's, uh." Mallory laughed tearfully, forcing her to sniffle. "I've been thinking about this for a while," she admitted, and slid the ring onto her finger.

Eri could hear Mallory's words, but for a moment was gazing with a glittering gaze at the ring that Mallory held. Her blush was visible, even in the odd lighting of the last of the fireworks. "I thought about it too," she admitted, cooing happily as she held up her hand to admire the sight of the ring there. She rose happily to tiptoes for another kiss.

Mallory returned the kiss, enfolding her hand in both of hers as their bodies met again. The sounds were dying down now, she realized, and she finally looked over her shoulder at the smoke clearing over the western sky, then back at Eri. "We're gonna have a lot to talk about it in Japan," she said through another grin.

"Yes, I think we will!" Eri said with a tremendous grin, noting only now that the fireworks had ceased to the applause of the festival goers. "Hm, it's a good thing we planned to visit my family, ne?" the delinquent pondered with her usual upbeat cheer.

"I might've been thinking about that..." the witch admitted with a sly curl of a smile. She shifted until they were leaning against each other, shoulder to shoulder, and held up their hands with their fingers laced together, watching the dark sapphire as it caught the light.

((Adapted from live play with Eri, with references to Trick, Penny, and Collie at the Tanabata live play event, with thanks!))

Last edited by Mallory on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mallory
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
50581.10 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallory was at the Lyceum that night, gossiping with Safiya in a low voice as they both leaned on the counter, mostly done with the process of reviewing their inventory. The witch was in a tank top and jeans and boots, all stained with soot and ash and brightly colored dyes (along with her fingers), and she looked to be in good spirits if a little tired.

From the sound of their words, the pair were speaking in Koine, Ancient Greek.

Eri had memorized the map that Mallory had drawn for her and found the nearest Lyceum door, which had disappeared after hours but manifested when it sensed the delinquent's approach. She was dressed up in a fancier outfit than her usual delinquent or summer wear: the green dress she wore wasn't a new one, but the shoes were. She had a shopping bag in hand, and was peering curiously around the shop as she came through. "Mal?" she asked, following the voices to the shop's pentagonal counter.

Safiya turned and saw Eri, giggled, and promptly flushed with embarrassment. Mallory swatted at the mage's arm as she strode away, a couple of ledgers tucked under her arm. "Congratulations," she intoned to the delinquent as she exited.

Eri flushed slightly at the giggle, but also looked particularly glowing as she smiled and bowed. "Thank you," she replied in her soft diminished voice. "Hey, Malallory," she greeted as the mage departed, the lock clicking after her. "How was the shop today?"

"Good! Think I got us another customer through the duels," the witch said, stretching until the tank too bared her midriff as she sauntered over. She settled her hands on Eri's shoulders and looked her over. "You look very pretty all dressed up," she observed, and tilted her head and grinned. "What's the occasion?"

"Oh, did you summon the apparition?" Eri asked, having seen it at work at the bazaar previously. Her head tipped until the witch's hands settled on her shoulders, and she straightened to beam proudly at her compliment. "Thanks! I went shopping at some places I was afraid might try to take advantage if they knew I was a delinquent. But I had Yuko along for technical advice too." She paused for a moment, nearly bursting with excitement as she said, "Close your eyes!"

"Yeah, the specter, it seemed like a good way to drum up -- oh -- okay!" Mallory held her hands behind her back and closed her eyes. Even giggled once. "Safiya shouldn't be coming back tonight, but we should probably go upstairs just in case," she said, completely misunderstanding her intentions.

"Eeh?" Eri hadn't grasped the misunderstanding yet. She saw the way Mallory's hands were held behind her back and couldn't resist rising to her tiptoes a bit to press a kiss to the witch's mouth. "Well, soon! But first I need to see your hand for a moment," she chimed in a lyrical singsong tone.

Oh! Well, Mallory's smile crept wider, and her lips twitched as she tried to control that, and held out her hand as instructed.

Once she was certain Mallory wasn't peeking, Eri got the box from the bag she'd carried in, opening it and placing the ring in the witch's hand. It was white gold to match the one Mallory had given her, and that she was wearing continually since. The look was a bit different, and featured a small but quality star corundum. "Okay, now you can look!" came the piping declaration.

Mallory's eyes opened, and she gasped. "Eri, that's so pretty..." Her eyes were damp, and she huffed a soft laugh as she tugged a glass band off of her left ring finger, the one marked with the beginning of the tattoo of the red bondage rope. Then she held it out for Eri to slide the ring on, though her gaze kept flicking between it and Eri's face.

Eri made a delighted sound at Mallory's reaction. "I thought I could easily imagine it on you, this one particularly," she agreed with a happy humming sound. She happily took the ring to slide onto Mallory's finger, admiring the way it looked next to the tattoo. "I'm happy! It looks just right there!"

"It does. My bond to the Veil... second," Mallory said, tapping the tattoo on her ring finger, "and my bond to you... first," tapping the ring. She leaned forward to lightly brush a kiss against Eri's lips, and grinned at her. "Come home with me?"

Eri's eyes glittered at the words Mallory said, grinning radiantly. Her head was canted just so to be kissed, and she broke into a grin again in unison with the witch. "Sure, let's head home, and head uptairs there instead!" she added with a giggle.

Mallory laughed brightly as she tugged on Eri's hand, opening the door for them with a flourish. It slammed on its own once they were gone, and vanished soon after.

((Adapted from live play with Eri, with thanks!))
Mallory
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
50581.10 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of being separated from the crowded sidewalk by only a curtain that blew open with a fitful breeze, the small restaurant facing the river was relatively cool. As large bowls of the fragrant Tokyo style ramen were placed before them, Eri grinned and retrieved chopsticks from the holder, pulling the pair apart with her front teeth.

"So, I think it will still be a bit of a walk from where the bus stops to the shrine..." She stopped and thought for a moment, and added, "We better bring umbrellas. I think we'll spend the night there, if that is okay?"

"Yeah. That's a good idea." Mallory was a little less comfortable with the chopsticks, prising them apart with the aid of a long fingernail, and frowned at the effort. "I could get us to the shrine a little faster, but," the chopsticks broke neatly with a snap, "better not to risk it."

She grinned across the table at Eri as she pinched a generous portion of noodles, worthy of the appetite she had worked up by traveling across Tokyo. "Besides. I'm not in any rush. I think staying the night will be good..." Possible worries like whether they would expected to share a room or sleep separately didn't occur to her -- her own upbringing had been much different. Instead she thought out loud, "When do you want to tell her?"

Eri grinned back across the table as she watched Mallory dig in. "No rush is good." The delinquent took a few moments to start on her noodles, looking up to add, "Well, I'm not taking off this ring. She'll notice anyway. So I think it would be best we just announce it when we arrive or soon after."

Eri slurped down some more noodles and turned her attention back to the witch with a bright smile. "So what was your favorite part of visiting Tokyo? The Skytree? Seeing the McDonalds where we ate after Roka's funeral party?" The delinquent's eyes glinted a bit. "Or was it the restaurant where I saw the guy eating his own snot?"

"Definitely the McDonald's," Mallory answered without hesitation, snickering at Eri as she tapped her chopsticks against her bowl; "but the Snot Diet was a close second. I'm curious about the church, but..." She rolled her head, working out a knot in her shoulders as she looked out the window. They still had a lot of daylight, but the lunch crowd was already winding down.

"Maybe on the way back." She squinted playfully at Eri, jabbing her chopsticks in the air at her. "We've got a train to catch."

((Written with Eri's player!))
Mallory
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
50581.10 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road that wound up toward the hills was narrow, bordered on either side by flooded fields where rice was cultivated. Between were bands of forested area where they could hear the distant cries of cicadas as the day wore on. Though the sun was hot, as yet the umbrellas Eri had brought were not needed, except to keep the sunlight from burning the too-pale witch.

As the terrain rose and the trees provided the relief of shade, the hot air grew cooler. "I have to watch carefully... it is a bit easy to miss..." Eri murmured as she shambled along, peering through the stands of cedars and bamboo on the hillsides. Some time had passed since they had even seen a passing car.

"But you lived here," Mallory squinted aside at Eri as they strolled along, protected by the meager shade the umbrella provided. "Is it hidden on purpose? Is it a secret shrine?" Her green eyes tracked carefully over the tree line...

"I was really small when we lived here," Eri explained, shoes scuffing at the dirt on the side of the road. "Hmm... it's not hidden on purpose or exactly secret. Just abandoned. Nobody uses it anymore. It is not shown on maps as a shrine. Also, these woods are supposed to be haunted. People think there are evil spirits of calamity up here."

"Like your father?" That drew another grin from the witch.

Eri's giggle rose to challenge the cicadas as he heard that. "Probably. I used to play in the woods. I never saw any evil spirits or anything besides him." Suddenly she peered ahead, dark eyes staring at a spot where the slope to the north side of the road became steeper and even more shaded by taller trees. "I think... yes, right there." She leaned in to point so that Mallory could follow the direction she was looking. There, barely visible, were old stone stairs climbing the hillside.

"You found it," Mallory breathed a sigh at Eri's victory, and slid a hand into hers as they turned to climb the old path up towards the shrine. "Do you know how old this place is...?" She was whispering. She wasn't sure why, but once they were under the shade of the trees and the hush of the forest, it felt appropriate. She closed her umbrella and tucked it carefully into her bag.

The delinquent nodded. "The building that stands there now is about fifty years old. But there was a shrine here before that, much older. At least since about 1570." Her voice had lowered to a whisper as well, unconsciously in imitation of Mallory.

Mallory frowned, curling her left ring finger as she stared down at it, as if that were the key to remembering. "That's how old your father is," she murmured. Coincidence?

Eri nodded her head, clambering up a few more steps. "I think at least. There is also a town further down the road from the bus stop we used, but it has a newer shrine in it." The end of the stairs finally arrived at a newly painted torii and a level area surrounded by a wall in the decorative stone gabled style. The hillside terrace contained the main shrine, rather drab in architecture and colors, as well as a small house and the little covered pavilion for the purification ceremony.

Mallory released Eri's hand, following her up the stairs to one side as they reached the torii. She didn't see anyone else yet, so she proceeded to purify her hands and feet in the cool water, then moved to the shrine for an offering and a prayer.

Eri was peering up at the shrine, and seeing no one there yet followed Mallory in washing her hands and feet. Abruptly there was the sound of a small engine around the back of the shrine from the direction of the house. A lawn tractor rounded the corner with a woman resembling Saori perched thereon, holding an umbrella up to ward away the sun. She waved and steered toward them across the grounds.

Mallory had just opened her eyes when the sound of the approaching tractor reached her ears. She drifted over to Eri's side, stealing a nervous glance at the delinquent's face, then lifted her hand to wave in greeting to the woman she assumed was her future mother-in-law.

The tractor shut down and the woman hopped down to hurry over to Mallory and Eri, smiling brightly from under the umbrella as she first gave a bow, then reached to pat the half oni on the head. "Eri! And you must be Mallory!" she exclaimed. "I was excited since your letter arrived to meet you!" At closer glance she did indeed seem to resemble Saori, though with far longer hair and a much more sunny demeanor.

Mallory laughed, more with surprise than anything else at Shiori's sunny demeanor. Saori was grouchy, Eri was alternately optimistic and terrifying, Roka was Roka, but Shiori was different. "I'm glad! And I'm glad it got here, too. Pleased to meet you!" She returned Shiori's bow.

"I'm Shiori Maeda," Shiori introduced, then gestured to the small house behind the shrine. "I brewed up some mugicha and have it chilling. I bet you are both thirsty from the walk. If I had known what time you were coming, I would have come down to pick you up at the bus stop."

"It was a pretty walk. It's a little hot, but," she tapped the umbrella handle in her bag and noted Shiori's own with a glance, "we're managing. Mugicha sounds wonderful, thanks."

She didn't rightly know what it was, but it was chilled.

Eri made a happy humming sound of agreement with the witch and took for her hand as they moved toward the house. Shiori took the lead, closing her umbrella as they came in and placing it in the corner, leading them to the genkan to remove their shoes.

Mallory followed suit, and whispered to Eri in a low voice, "What's mugicha?"

Eri leaned close to reply in a whisper. "Tea made from barley."

Shiori's hearing proved to be pretty keen and she turned with a smile to assure the witch, "If you don't like it, there is beer or cola or Pocari Sweat also."

Mallory colored slightly when she was overheard, but gave Shiori a grateful smile and shook her head. "Tea sounds perfect." She fell in a couple of steps close behind Eri as they followed Shiori into the house. The interior was surprisingly cool, and overhead the reason could be seen. Surprisingly the old home was retrofitted with several visible ductless split air conditioners.

Beckoning them with a cupped hand to be seated once they entered the small kitchen with its little dining nook, Shiori went to the refrigerator and withdrew the pitcher which she set aside while getting down some glasses. Once she had served the tea she sat down with them and eyed them both brightly. "Once you have rested and cooled off, I have to hear about your house! And how you met!" Trying to be polite, but it was clear she was curious as well as bubbly and happy.

Mallory sipped her tea, pleased by how cool it was, and smiled at Shiori. "Well... there's a bar in RhyDin, the Red Dragon. I was there one night and saw," a demon who hurt her, a demon I killed, "a man staring in through the window... It gave me a bad vibe. I would've had to walk home alone that night, but your daughter," her smile grew, curling at the corners as her gaze ticked aside at Eri, "was very sweet and offered to drive me."

Eri beamed at the telling of the story of their meeting, while Shiori blinked with surprise. "Eri drives?" she mused. Then with a nod, she said in a pleasant tone, "Well, lucky she did! What a sweet way to meet. I bet she had a crush already because you are cute."

Mallory's cheeks colored at that, but she decided she would turn to Eri now to direct the conversation to her. "Well, I don't know. Did you?" she teased, lifting her glass for a sip.

It was Eri's turn to blush there in front of Mallory and Shiori, but she was giving her head a thoughtful tilt to answer all the same. "I am not sure if I had a crush yet then. But I won't pretend I did not notice right away that you were cute!" she chimed back. Shiori laughed happily at that response.

Mallory grinned. "I think our first date was Beltane... a Celtic spring festival that's very big in RhyDin. Lots of dancing in circles, frolicking with fairies..." Her expression took a fonder turn, eyes flickering over Eri as she took another drink.

Eri's look back to Mallory was warm and adoring. "We leaped over the fires too," she recalled with a grin.

Shiori clasped her hands together and chuckled. "And now you have your own house! How exciting. I will travel there soon. I hope I can see it."

"You're welcome to visit -- we'd be happy to have you," Mallory shared another look with Eri and smiled at Shiori. "Eri insisted that we get a place where we could set up a library. She knows how much I love books," she admitted with a wider curl to her smile, ducking her head slightly, as her hands folded around the glass.

"Well, you should both stay here for tonight at least. Even if you have travel plans. There won't be another bus until morning and it is very dark out there," Shiori insisted. She looked over the young couple happily, and added, "I will be certain to come visit. I have heard that you are a student of occult learning. We will have to talk shop and have a peek at my book collection before you go..." she went on, but trailed off as her dark eyes suddenly fixed on both Mallory and Eri's hands as they held their glasses. A sly smile curved at her mouth.

"Hm, those are pretty rings," she observed.

Mallory colored again but reacted with more grace this time, dipping her head in a slow nod and smiling softly at the memory. "We were celebrating Tanabata on Kabuki Street a couple weeks ago, watching the fireworks..." The witch's hand moved to slide over Eri's, lightly touching the sapphire set into her ring, and she trailed off for a moment before her gaze returned to Shiori.

"We got engaged."

Shiori sighed happily at the news, and broke her proper manners at once to reach over and pat Mallory's hand. "That is wonderful news! You are going to be my family! Now you must stay over. We should have drinks tonight and celebrate!"

Mallory smiled warmly at the gesture from Shiori, her gaze moving to Eri's face fondly. "I'd like that," she replied, squeezing her hand.

Mallory
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
50581.10 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moonlight, visible if hazy in the warm night shone through the trees. Beyond the back of the wall in the forest was an old foot bridge over a stream, a comfortably place to sit outside and drink by the light of a pair of lanterns with blocks of cedar incense burning to scent the air and drive away the bugs.

Mallory sat a short distance in front of Eri, letting her legs dangle over the edge while she nursed her beer, contentedly enjoying the night air, the smell of the incense, and the sound of the Maedas recalling stories.

"Mallory," Shiori said suddenly. She had fallen quiet after recounting the story of Eri and Saori terrorizing a babysitter, but looked to the witch now with interest. "Did Eri tell you about her lifespan? Have you thought about it?"

Clink, the sound of Mallory's ring hitting the neck of her bottle, as she took a moment to think about Shiori's question. "Yeah... yeah, we talked about it. And I've been thinking about it, and working on something. I'm gonna try to... make my life like hers." Endless.

"Roka helped. He nudged me in the right direction," she added as she looked over her shoulder at Shiori. "There's a library in Prague, a place I think you'd like. Eri and I went a few months ago."

Shiori looked back after sipping some beer, leaning forward with interest in the details. "In Prague... yes, I would like to see that place someday," she decided with a glance and a smile to Mallory and Eri. "I think it is wonderful. You are exceptional, I can tell. I guess Roka must have been able to tell as well."

Mallory laughed softly, blushing at the compliment, and leaned her head against Eri's shoulder and shut her eyes. "I met a very exceptional woman," she said. "And however much time I have... it's hers."

The witch's eyes slit open, lazily tracking the brief glimmer of fireflies following the stream. "But I intend that time to be eternal."

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> RhyDin Town Center -> Queer Portents All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: