Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

BlaB Chat Thead: Issues, Questions, and Comments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Ask the Staff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW
The Fourth Horseman
RDI Admin
RDI Admin

See this user's pet
Jobs: Symphony of Destruction
Can Be Found: "This song is ending... but the story never ends."
29397.66 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: BlaB Chat Thead: Issues, Questions, and Comments. Reply with quote

Hello!

Below I have compiled a list of all the questions/comments/problems from the DM-side BlaB chat thread. Some of these are resolved already, some are unfixable (so far), some Xenograg is already aware of and working on (like the posts being eaten, for example).

Going forward, please check to be sure your question hasn't been asked already, though I know that's a lot to read through.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Character limit - This one is probably what people have identified as being most important.

2. If you put people on ignore they can still private chat you.

3. Autoscroll turning itself off when you try to scroll - This is just annoying; people have asked if it can be disabled

4. Private chat thing is pretty awful; resource hog; in-line PMs are pretty awful

5. Are direct profile links possible? (the avatarness so far is cool!)

6. Room status (though woo AFK button!)

7. I do believe riots will start if the stickers aren't nixed (we could just flog people who use them)

8. Enter/exit messages when people log in/out. Hard to tell who arrived, left, or went AFK

9.A few people have seen posts get eaten if they get to the text limit, then try to back space and enter. It's unclear if this is a chat thing or a user side thing, obviously, just worth noting

10. The emoji keyboard for mobile devices doesn't work, replacing emoji faces with '????,'" which is to be expected...although not favoured, considering I honestly think the stickers are a bit lame. No offence.

11. Whilst the desktop version shows all of the possible rooms one can visit, on the mobile version, only the Lobby and Red Dragon's Inn rooms are visible.

12. I have not yet tested the scrolling function on the desktop version from my phone, but the mobile version has absolutely no option of scrolling up to see old messages whatsoever.

13. Whilst I'm on the subject of viewing the old messages, the "/back #[of messages]" command didn't work for me on either mode. I don't know if it works for anyone else, but at least the "/me" command works, albeit with another kind of lame effect (Reiko Souma: Reiko Souma is tired.). The old chat client was way better with this (Reiko Souma is tired.).

14. The character limit should be increased to 750 or 1,000 at most. I believe I counted 150 characters in my limit for mobile users? **** EDIT - AMAL SAID THIS WAS FIXED TO 2014.

15. Facebook app mode only, and this is more on my end: I keep on accidentally hitting the back arrow when I'm trying to access the menu, which ends up taking me back to my Facebook newsfeed...thankfully it doesn't log me out.

16. Can we have the hexadecimal lookup back, please? I feel limited to my colours when I want to type in #FF0044 instead of choosing #FF0033 or #FF0066.

17. My only real complaint right now is that it needs more borders. I see the chat scroll up into the Lobby: History link and it's all one color and kind of disconcerting.

18. At about 9:00 PM PST, I ran into a problem. I could send gibberish posts and (test) to the chat, but it ate a half dozen efforts at sending an IC post, before a short blurb finally went through. It ate one of Alae's posts at that time, as well. Typing was fine, hit enter, and it just didn't show up in the chat for anyone, including the sender. ** EDIT - KNOWN ISSUE

19. Another small issue. If you are in chat, you DO still get timed out in the forums, apparently. Since the Panels settings are linked to the forums, trying to make any changes causes you get get booted out of chat, if you timed out in the forums. You have to log back in and remake the changes for them to go into effect. The only way to know if you've been logged out of the forums is to go check them.

20. So if you're on mobile and switching between apps, it may show you as logged out to others, but when you switch back you won't notice. Also if you put your phone to sleep.

Also! You can be online with the same username on two different devices with no issue. I was on my phone and laptop at the same time. When you log out of one it will blip you off the online list and then you will reappear to others. While I wasn't on the list I was able to see new chat before reappearing.

21. Please. Put serious thought into getting rid of the smileys and stickers, if they can be disabled together. Finally talked a friend into having a look, he saw the lobby being spammed with words made from smileys, he won't be back. Sure, some of the smileys are cute. To some. **** EDIT - Not possible?

22. I love it. My only complaint is a personal wish for a "night mode," theme of dark grey with medium grey text or something for us picky people who hate light and the sun. But that isn't something that is needed to be fixed, repaired, or improved. It works, it's fast, it's mobile friendly, ITS LIKE WE ARE IN THE FUTURE YES.

23. Earlier today I was informed that I seemed to be bouncing in and out of the Blab chat. Nothing was happening for me on my end, but apparently for others, I would disappear and reappear if I spent too much time in other tabs or with my screen's focus away from BlaB. After a little experimentation, I switched from Safari to Chrome, and sure enough the problem stopped. I also heard that a couple others have had this issue, and it may just be a problem between how some browsers work and the chat.
It didn't cause me any trouble chatting, and using chrome is not a big deal, but sharing the info I found made sense. Big thanks to Kahu for pointing the issue out to me, explaining what was happening, and helping me test.

24. I noticed that if I tried to do italic by either highlighting specific words and clicking italic, or clicking italic before I wanted to type a word in italic, it would make all of the chat look italic.

All italic or all bold has its pluses and specific uses, true. But I really like the idea of being able to just selectively italic or bold only a few words in a send, like I can do either here on the boards or in Discord. Can that flaw of only being able to italic/bold whole sends be fixed? Or is there a workaround that I missed somehow that will allow me to selectively italic/bold only portions of a send? *** EDIT -Already on the list?

I also had problems with PMs where it would say something to the effect of "Please wait" when I either got the indicator that I had a PM or trying to send a PM. Being leery of PMs potentially being posted to the room by accident, I reverted back to Discord/Trillian to conduct PM style chat there instead. This is a workaround for me for what I feel is a problem with the PMs but not a fully practical one since it doesn't allow me to PM someone that I don't already know on either Discord or Trillian if I need to clarify something in play or so forth.

25. The only thing I found missing was a notification in the room when someone enters or leaves. Might be a setting for that, but if there is, I didn't find it. *** EDIT - MENTIONED EARLIER

26. Okay. So prior to integrating the chat, it looked awesome on mobile. Now for some reason it is weird. I think now the link is forcing you to go to the desktop version where as before on mobile it loaded a mobile version

27. Okay, the chat link from the first post of this thread still works and still loads the mobile version that works correctly. I advocate adding a second link on the front page for mobile users!

28. I tried out the mobile version on my Android phone last night. It popped a screen with a choice of mobile or desktop that I could hardly see. Maybe this is an issue on my end and not a Blab thing, but I can't increase the size of the text within the app. Normally, I use two fingers to increase the size of things on my touch screen, but it didn't work for Blab. Any ideas?

29. There seems to be a glitch with the Private Chat function. Today I've gotten a couple empty boxes from people, but I figured they were just experimenting with the system and didn't say anything. Then Canaan's player mentioned that they got one of those Private Chat boxes from me, with nothing in it. I can confirm that I hadn't even clicked on the character name, let alone gotten anywhere near the 'Private Chat' link. Nor was I using Panels, or anything else that might have somehow triggered open a Private Chat box. Actually, I was completely off the site tab looking at pictures of seals at the time....

Apparently, something is spontaneously triggering a 'Private Chat' box to open between people. I didn't get one at the same time, but Canaan got one that said it was from me, so it's going to one person but not both. From what other people said when we were talking about it, this has been happening to others for a while now.

30. I am unsure if anyone has said anything about it and I know plenty of stuff are still in the testing. Safari and Microsoft Edge seems to have an issue with BlaB! Safari seems to cause a revolving door effect when someone is in another tab (though I think Issy may have found a way around this) and ME seems to freeze up (this is being looked into).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--BW

Last edited by BW on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:05 pm; edited 5 times in total
BW
The Fourth Horseman
RDI Admin
RDI Admin

See this user's pet
Jobs: Symphony of Destruction
Can Be Found: "This song is ending... but the story never ends."
29397.66 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the chat 'eating' certain posts:

Xenograg has found the root cause of the problem and is actively working to resolve it.
Xenograg
Bey
RDI Admin
RDI Admin

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Dojo Darelir (Rhydin City) or Xenodar
11465.60 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I had to revert my /me command changes. Will try again another day.
"The stupidest creative act is still a creative act, and that the real gap isn't between the mediocre and great work. The real gap is between getting started and doing nothing. If you've created something, even if it's stupid, you've put yourself in a position to do more." - Clay Shirky

Last edited by Xenograg on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Xenograg
Bey
RDI Admin
RDI Admin

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Dojo Darelir (Rhydin City) or Xenodar
11465.60 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "eaten" posts are due to a security monitor flagging the text as a false positive.

I worked with the web host, and this is fixed.
"The stupidest creative act is still a creative act, and that the real gap isn't between the mediocre and great work. The real gap is between getting started and doing nothing. If you've created something, even if it's stupid, you've put yourself in a position to do more." - Clay Shirky
Sira
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Doctor

6767.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can cross off a few that have been address?

1. The character limit was increased

3. Autoscroll thing can't be turned off without making people manually scroll

5. Profile links were fixed

11. This was before all the rooms were added; all rooms are visible from mobile

14. Repeat of #1

17. A bar was added because Amal makes things pretty

23. Was noted to be a Safari only issue; can be resolved by the user using an independent window for chat instead of a tab

26-27. This was fixed. Mobile version loads correctly

28. I believe text was enlarged
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
Jobs: Gunsmith, Engineer

2855.20 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Could we have the ability to resize the text box or at least have the text box made bigger? Typing more than one or two lines smashes everything together making it hard see everything you have typed. It can make it difficult to go back and correct things.
Quill
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Blacksmith
Can Be Found: Wandering
18770.24 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a url that won't post in the chat;

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1920x1080/p04fw kmd.jpg

It's just a picture of a bear scratching its back on a tree. The chat seems to think the /p04 part is a link to the paintings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Ask the Staff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: