Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

Rise of an Adversary
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> WestEnd -> Gharnholme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ilyona
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Jeweler, Midwife
Can Be Found: Her family's holdings or the Institute in Rhydin
4914.62 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course being presentable was the furthest thing from the young woman’s mind. She pulled on the jeans and long sleeved shirt she had brought with her. If the matrons could see her now, they would be scandalized. A wiry grin crossed her lips as she thought about that.

She shouldered her bag and made her way out of the dressmaker’s shop. Her smile brightened as she saw Kage waiting. She tilted her head as she regarded him, “Hey you.”

Kage approached her, and hugged her tightly before stepping back. “Hello there, Your Cuteness. I'd heard from Morg you were doing the last of your fittings today, and I thought I'd come by to see you.” He reached to the small black leather cylinder on his waist.

“I brought you a present,” he said as he pulled a blood red orchid out of the case. And handed it to her with a flourish.

She blushed at his greeting and smiled as he pulled the orchid out. She gently picked up the bloom and looked at it. “It’s beautiful.”

He smiled widely. “I thought you might like it. It will take the water it needs from the air, so if you sprinkle a little water on it every now and again, it'll stay healthy for a long time to come.” He leaned in, and kissed her briefly. “So what's the plan today?”

She returned the kiss lightly. “I was planning to head for the docks. I don’t like the look of the weather and the Karu isn’t back yet.”

The smile faded from her lips as she regarded him solemnly.

“That's Kit and Kar's ship, right? I'll go with you. Hopefully nothing too bad has happened.”

She nodded briefly. “I pray so. The clouds do not look good however. All the signs point to a major storm out there.”

She shuddered a moment then looked out towards the ocean. “I’m worried, Kage.”

He nodded. “Let's go then, loves. Make sure they get a good watch and a proper welcome.” He looked up and down the street, and a concerned look crossed his face. “We should go, and be careful. Besides, you should see some of the clothing that tailor shed my blood for.”

She chuckled softly, “At least you didn’t have to stand for hours on end for just one pieces and a gown at that.” She made a silly face.

She took his hand and started in the direction of the docks.

Kage scanned the streets as they passed from the safer areas of the city into the Docks district. His sense of disquiet had been growing steadily worse as they'd gotten closer. Now, his head fairly screamed of danger. :We may want to be careful here, love. Someone's watching us,: he said mentally, as he scanned the street a second time.

She looked around warily. She was also feeling uneasy especially with the increasing number of ships seeking refuge. “I don’t like this, Kage.”

She got worried, as it seemed that the harbor was filling up with all sorts of ships. She shook her head and considered sending word up to Morg about this.

Kage spotted a flash of red sash, and squeezed Ilyona's hand. “My love, methinks we might have a problem.” He pointed towards a man approaching in a red bandanna and sash, attempting to sneak up on them. He loosened his weapons.

She tensed up and looked about.
BlackSpartan
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Sword for Hire, Jeweler
Can Be Found: Rhy'din's West End
2821.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered, Kage thought, it could be worse. There's only eight of them.He scanned the rooftops, and spotted two more, sneaking away. He turned on Ilyona, and pounced, kissing her as he pinned her to the wall. “Two up high, on the move towards the dock, eight moving in for the attack. Any chance you can get the ones on the rooftop,” he whispered in her ear.

She returned the kiss and nuzzled against his cheek as she listened to his words. “It can be arranged, “ she murmured softly in response and turned her thoughts to the shadows. These brigands would be in for a rude awakening if they thought the couple was truly alone.

Ilyona had taken to wearing a blaster herself as well as the knife secured to her calf. Her eyes hardened marginally and she readied herself to move on his signal. While the scene was unfolding below, the two above were unaware of the shifting shadows following them.

“On three, then.” He reached between them, grabbing the plasma pistol up under his arm.

Her eyes darken noticeably as she started pulling on her power. Her right hand slipped down to release the fastener on her gun. She nodded to him in response.

“One.” He kissed her again, and pulled back just a bit.

Kissing him softly, she felt the numbing coldness settle into place. She would not let herself to feel, as she made ready to fight. These fools made the mistake of threatening someone she loved. They would not be making that mistake again.

“Two.” He glanced back to the pirate approaching on the right, and nodded to Ilyona.

She trained her awareness to the figures approaching on the right. They thought they had the advantage of being in the shadows and darkness. They lost that advantage as her eyes sight shifted into the lower spectrums, a gift of her mother’s people.

“Three.”

He snap-turned to the left, bringing both guns up in a single smooth motion. He opened fire on the two nearest him, catching one in the throat with hot plasma, and sending the other scurrying for cover.

She moved in concert with him, turning to the right and firing the blaster towards the approaching figures. The men scattered as another of their number went down with a smoking hole in his chest

Kage sized up his quarry, and fired again just as the man foolishly decided to rise just enough to get to his sword. The lead round stuck his head above his eyes, and shredded. The pirate fell forward, his hand still gripping the hilt of his undrawn sword. Kage swiveled, and drew a bead on two more up the fire escape with knives drawn.

Meanwhile, the two moving across the rooftops were stopped dead in their tracks. Fear gripped them as a shadowy form emerged before them. Rage coursed through the shadowy form at the thought of his Ilyona ambushed. The Sentinel gestured to one of the brigands and shadowy tentacles wrapped around his throat. The Sentinel crushed its victim’s windpipe as the other one scrambled to make for the ship.

The Sentinel watched the other one go and snaked out the tendrils again. The tendrils this time tripped the second man. The Sentinel lunged at the prone figure viciously. The man did not have a chance as the Sentinel ripped him to shreds.

The Sentinel regarded its victims in thought then made a decision that set him apart from the others. He grabbed both bodies and carried back along the path towards the ambush point. The brigands were about to get a very rude wake-up call.

Kage opened fire, and turned as both brigands fell, lashing out with the butt of the slug thrower at another getting a tad too close to Ilyona with that knife in his hand. As the pirate went down, Kage thought, Why does that one have a full shirt on?

While Kage was concentrating on the others, one managed to get with in striking distance of his back. As his pirate went down, the other slashed at him. Ilyona acted on instinct as she shouldered him to the side. The knife connected in a glancing blow to his side. This brought Ilyona into close range with the brigand as she whirled on him pulling her knife. She danced around the brigand’s clumsy blows taunting him, wearing him down. She continued this deadly dance with brigand until she was able to seize on an opening in his defenses and jammed her knife into his chest.

As she was fighting with the brigand, the last brigand snarled and moved into to attack her from behind. As he tried to move into position, two more bodies fell to the ground with a meaty thud between him and the young woman. The shadow writhed and bled into the form of the Sentinel once more as the last brigand was cruelly ripped to shreds.

Kage heard more than felt the blow, and dropped to the ground in just enough time to see the last pirate rent limb from limb, and was dearly glad that it was on his side. He heard a groan, and grabbed the shirted pirate by the vest. The vest tore, and then the shirt as Kage scrambled to grab it with the other hand.

The pirate fell back to the cobbles, knocking herself out once again. Blood from a laceration over her left eye seeping to join the wet streams between the cobbles. “Hmph,” he said. “I don't think her friends know she's female, 'Yona.”

She growled softly and winced with the smaller cuts from the fight. “I want to know which ship they came from.”

A little revenge plan was forming, “Bind her. I want information before we turn her over to DeAuster.”

Kage closed his eyes, and touched the side of her head. “When she wakes up, she'll think she's paralyzed. She'll be able to breathe and talk, but not much else. You recognize the livery on these farks?”

“No, but that’s what I want to learn. This was not a random attack. Too many people involved for my taste. I plan on making whomever was behind this pay dearly.” The look in her pale eyes was cold and serious.

“Then learn we will.” He rolled the woman onto her back, and applied a piece of gauze to the wound. “Let me just get the bleeding stopped.”
BlackSpartan
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Sword for Hire, Jeweler
Can Be Found: Rhy'din's West End
2821.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage dabbed the last of the blood away, and gave the downed pirate a hard look. He snapped his fingers, and she began to twitch.

Her eyes sprang open, and she looked at Kage groggily.

Kage smiled widely at her. "Welcome back to the land of the living. You've been injured, young lady. You're going to find it hard to move for awhile, so just relax. I stopped the bleeding, and revived you as best I could.

I have a few questions of you, if you don't mind? First, what ship are you from? Your compatriots will want to know that you're alive."

Her eyes rolled into the back of her head. "I am... Yamashi... Motoko. Must... Shirt, before go... Ship. They seek... Albaelias. Ship dock... ju-go. I know no why, only what."

Kage Stood, and turned to Ily. "Pier fifteen, that's where we'll find the ship. Want to get her to Lucius now, or later?"
Karenthesis
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet

143.00 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Mate, ye better be seeing this!” The shout from the wheel brought Kar’s attention from the repairs being made to the mast, and at the urgent wave the young man hurried up to stand beside Tollar, who was pointing down at the dock below. “We got an outflow formin’…”

“Damn!” Slapping the wet railing Kar turned toward Tollar. “Be ready to head toward the open sea when I give the order.” Turning back again, he watched as the foamy sea lapped at the dock pylons, and cursed again softly as more of the pylons were becoming visible with each passing moment. He prayed it was water from the first surge retreating, and not the harbinger of a second tidal wave. The Kuru had been lucky the first time, and Karenthesis didn’t believe that luck existed in the amount needed to survive a second storm surge.

Looking out over the battered town didn’t improve his mood. Fires were starting to spring up, and already his sharp hearing had caught the tell-tale pops of pistol fire. He had already sent a group of heavily-armed sailors to the entrance of the pier they had moored to, to guard against any seeking to take advantage of the chaos. Two boats had already been spotted heading toward the overturned ship in the harbor, and he could almost imagine the fight over the salvage that would begin even before the rain ceased falling.

Seeing movement down the pier, the young man tensed, but relaxed when he say the party he had sent falling back, and in front of them was Lusiphur’s band, carrying the two missing men. Shouting orders, Kar had the crew moving to help their fellows aboard and to cast off. “What’s the status of the main, Mr. Kiriat?”

“We need another hour at least, mate.” Kiriat called from where he and, Harag and Vaelia were supervising repairs.

“Rig up the secondus then. We’re making for open water.”

“Aye!” Already Tollar had started to bring the ship around, and various shouts rang amongst the crew as they continued to use long poles to move aside floating crates and other debris. Kar moved back to the poop deck, his long hair plastered to his forehead as he squinted out over the dark waters, cursing the rain that was growing heavier by the moment.

“Should we head for another cove for now?” Tollar asked, spinning the wheel to avoid a downed tree that lay half-submerged at the harbor’s entrance. Kar shook his head, sending hair whipping into and sticking to his cheek.

“Naw. Set a course west, and hug the shore.” He looked up at the heavy clouds and growled softly. “This beast be heading more north, so we’ll leave ‘er behind.”

“Aye, mate. West it be!” Squinting at the compass built into the wheelstation Tollar expertly brought the ship onto it’s new course, and the Enyala Kuru disappeared into the heavy fog being kicked up by the outer rainbands.
Jondar
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet

0.00 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jondar jauntily tossed his hat to a knot of giggling maids, and waited while the butler took his coat. Karsec had grown preternaturally cold for this time of year, but the inside of the vast house was as warm as a spring day.

He readjusted his sword-belt, and climbed the wide marble staircase to the second floor, where his father's office had been before Kyra had slain him a few days earlier.

He'd been fortunate to catch Morgiun Albaelia during his visit to the Red Dragon Inn in Rhy'din, but not by the result that meeting had brought him. Kyra's not going to like this, he thought sourly. But at least I won't meet my father's fate. I hope

"Sir, is there something wrong," a male voice asked behind him.

Anger and frustration flashed in his eyes as he turned on his heel. "No, Robertson, there's nothing you need to concern yourself with. Have preparations been made for my Father?"

"Yes, milord," the older man drawled. "The cosmetician and the enbalmer have both finished their tasks, and he lies in state in the main parlor. Tomorrow, the announcement will be made to the People, and then the giving of Loyalty to you, milord."

"Excellent. Now, leave me. I need to speak to Lady Kyra."

"She's in the Office," the man sniffed disdainfully, and walked away down the stairs to break up the fight over his hat. In times past, he'd take the girl that brought him back his hat into his bed that night, but tonight might not be a good.

He stood in front of the heavy metal doors into the antechamber, and swallowed hard.
Karenthesis
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet

143.00 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The last of the rigging's been stowed below, mate." Shavier stood beside Karenthesis near the wheel of the Kuru, as both watched the crew scurry around the main deck below. "With the repairs on the mainsail finished, the Kuru be right as rain."

Kar groaned softly at that little remark, given how they had received the damage in the first place. During the voyage from Talirude's Landing to Cisroe the Enyara Kuru had met one other ship, a frigate out of Malirid with thier own tale about the deadly storm surge the hurricane had kicked up. Kit and he both realized just how close they had come, after hearing the story of what happened to Dagger's Jet.

"cargo's unloaded, our supplies restocked..." Running over a mental checklist kar finally nodded, and turned toward Shavier. "Mr. Shavier, I think it's time to cut the crew loose for some R&R."

"Aye, mate. I'd agree totally." The older sailor leaned over the railing encircling the castle. "Dobs, spread the word. All hands are to report to the quartermaster." The sailor Shavier spoke to waved a hand upward, and as the moments passed the two could hear the crew breaking into song, eager for the upcoming pay and chance to go ashore.

"You do know you're gonna have to get some out of the local prison in the mornin'?" The soft words drew Kar's attention to where Lusiphur leaned against the railing, arms and ankles crossed.

"Aye, but better me to do it than Kit." Kar turned toward the wheel, hands coming to rest on the solid oak. His nostrils flared at the familiar sulphuric odor of a match as Luse lit a cigarette.

"You could have gone with her, you know." The assassin grunted as he pushed away from the railing and moved toward the head of the stairs down to the main deck. "I bet your brother and sisters wouldn't have minded your company."

"Yeah, but they're gonna be talking about that coming out ball." Making a face, Kar turned to gaze out over the bustling city. "I mean, Morg can handle it, since he's gonna be half-sauced anyway's. But all that talk about silk and dresses and whatnot.."

"Don't mean a hill of drek." Lusiphur interrupted, glittering eyes moving to the younger half-elf. "Yer makin' excuses, boy." Kar bristled slightly at being called a boy, but quickly remembered that, next to the older elf, he was indeed just that. "You've been moping ever since we docked yesterday mornin', and you met that messanger from Luc."

"Yeah, and how do you think that made me feel?" Kar shot back with a growl. "Cie's gone into the Trials, and I didn't even get to tell her good luck!"

"Good bye, don't you mean?" Lusiphurs cold tone stopped any further protest that Kar may have made. "Look boy, I've known Cie's mom for longer than you or your sister both's been running this world. I've watched Cieara grow up from a wee babe. And, I know what the Duibh Trials are all about." The wiry elf paused, watching the younger Kar for a brief passage of seconds. "You're gonna have to get it through that thick head of yours, that if anyone can pass those Trials, it's Fiona's daughter."

"I hope so." Kar replied, soft enough for most would have missed, but Lusiphur merely grunted, flicking the remains of his cigarette over the railing.

"C'mon." A gloved hand took Kar's shoulder, guiding him toward the stairs with a pressure that brooked no arguement. "We're gonna get yer mind off things, otherwise I'm gonna brain yer stubborn ass myself."

"Hey! I can't..." the resistance cut short as Kar had to catch himself from stumbling down the stairs, Lusiphur right behind.

"Yeah you can, boy!" A smirk cut across Luse's features as he goaded Kar toward the gangplank. "Tonight yer gonna drink, watch some dancin', and maybe even get yerself laid. NO ARGUEMENTS!" He held a finger out toward Kar, who let the last of his arguement slip away as he turned toward the gangplank.

"Oh by the by..." The smirk turned into a full-blown smile as he followed Kar toward the dock. "...yer buying, right?"
Lord Tresillian
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Traveling the realms of Yeadia or residing either in the family Castle or his City home Shali Palaes
250.00 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“The Flying Delight” boasted a clear view from their elegant balconies, and it was there he now stood. Sharp blue eyes gazing out towards the harbor and the array of masts easily noted in the distance. His runners had alerted him to the arrival of that ship, but here, little could be done about it. This was “Their” territory and a intelligent man didn’t make a misstep given that knowledge.

Thanks in part to that storm the ship was still under repairs as well. One didn’t start a battle when the weapon wasn’t in perfect working condition. Of course a few days in harbor would take care of that minor issue.

Discreet inquiries had learned that the “Kuru” did indeed carry the contracts of privateer for this region. To touch them here, would be the height of folly and Nick while volatile was hardly stupid. He would bide his time and seek the more prudent “Diplomatic” means his cousin had suggested.

Cisroe had survived the recent skirmish almost intact he found. Rumors of its near destruction had been more then a little overblown. From the list of names his aunt had supplied to him for the coming social whirl, only a few families had been banished as well. If anything, the place looked cleaner, the feeling happier then in his past trips. To view it now, it appeared to be flourishing under the new ruling family.

Jerked from his thoughts, the knock on the door capturing his attention and he turned his head with a mutter. “Come.”

“I have sent word to Lord Albaelia regarding the meeting. Letting him know we are in residence and await his response.” Murdock stated, tossing his cloak and gloves into one of the large opulent chairs near the hearth.

“Indeed.” Dominic’s tone hardly delighted at the prospect.

“I also have notified your aunt about our arrival as well.” Murdock continued before folding his elegantly attired frame down. Gleaming boots crossing with the shimmer of fire reflecting off the high black glossed polish.

“Good, good.” Nick muttered before stepping inside and out of the cool breeze and regarded his cousin. Well aware he wasn’t even near finished with his report.

“Apparently the ruling family here will be kicking off the season. I have already acquired invitations to the event. It’s an introduction of the heir of I am not mistaken.” Draping his arms down to rest casually on the padded sides of his seat he continued. “As we already know, the Albaelia’s are allied with them so it’s sure they will be in attendance. Not to mention the rumor that there is hope of a linking of the families by marriage. Either their youngest daughter to the second Albaelia son or Lady Kitian to Lady DeAuster’s brother.”

That news made a brow rise slightly in surprise. “Is this your way of yet another subtle warning Cousin?”

“Just stating the facts as I have learned them Nick.” The reply was cool and given without rancor.

“It hardly matters if the families are linked. Nor do I care if that sea witch has some uncertain protector. They will back off our waters or suffer the consequences of refusing.” To him, it was really that simple.

“Forewarned is forearmed cousin.” His glance showed a hint of irritation at Nick’s unrelenting demeanor and ire. “Just tread with some care is all I suggest. Would not do to alienate a rising family of power. One that might prove a profitable ally to us as well as to the Albaelia clan.”

“Perhaps.” Was all he said even as a mild frown flickered over his tanned face. “Ye might be right, but if we can get them to ease off our ships, I shall cease my complaints, much as it might pain me to do such.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> WestEnd -> Gharnholme All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: