Drop A Line
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  :| |:
Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark -> Queer Portents

#426:  Author: Jack JackCan Be Found: Underground PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:26 am
    —
Text to Eddie Baby: You don't know me very well.

#427:  Author: EdCan Be Found: Old Temple PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:32 am
    —
Text to Mean Jack: I don't *want* to know you very well.

#428:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:56 am
    —
Text to Nohemi: I know its 4 in the morning. Hopefully u have ur ringer turned off. Im heading back to base tmrw, but we should get lunch together before i go. Pencil me in? I have things to tell u.

#429:  Author: NohemiCan Be Found: Backstage PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:05 pm
    —
Text to Trick: How does a food court buffet sound?

#430:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:26 pm
    —
Text to Nohemi: Perfect.

#431:  Author: MalloryCan Be Found: The Lyceum or Kabuki Street, most of the time PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 am
    —
email to all contacts: My phone's busted and someone's fixing it for me. I'll check email at least twice a day until I get it back. if you want more immediate contact, let me know and I'll send you a paper moth - faster and cheaper than couriers.
- Mal

#432:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:15 pm
    —
Email to Mallory St. Martin: Nice job breaking your phone, genius. Razz

#433:  Author: MalloryCan Be Found: The Lyceum or Kabuki Street, most of the time PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 pm
    —
email to Trick: yeah, yeah. =P and it was my dimb fault too, I compulsively took out my phone to fiddle with it while Penny talked about how you helped her get a Penny-proof phone because she breaks them.

it could have been the Nexus or unlucky spirits, to be fair.

but Mai fixed it so I told you that wonderful, gripping saga for no ****ing reason.

xoxo,
Mal

re: email to all contacts: nvm.

#434:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:58 pm
    —
Text to Mal: Since when do u hang with lucky penny hm?

#435:  Author: MalloryCan Be Found: The Lyceum or Kabuki Street, most of the time PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:02 pm
    —
Text to Trick: since NONE OF YOUR FREAKING BEESWAX NERD
Text to Trick: idk sometimes I run into her around town and we talk. she's good people.

#436:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 pm
    —
Text to Mal:

#437:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:37 am
    —
Text to Lucky Penny: Morning run?

#438:  Author: Penny EscobarCan Be Found: Battlefield Park Area PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:48 am
    —
Text to Patrick Richie: ok

#439:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:07 pm
    —
DATE: Mon, June 04, 2018 at 10:03 AM
SUBJECT: call me?
TO: Patrick Richie <p.w.richie@rhy.rasg.mil>
hey Trick,
i'm having a hard time writing this so I'm just going to say it. Eri was in a horrible fight last night. it's going to take her a few days to regenerate. I'd love to hear your voice if I can. call me.
Mal

Delta Company headquarters were three Conex shipping containers welded together and renovated to be somewhat habitable. There were no inner walls, just office space divvied up by flimsy cubicle partitions, which afforded little to no privacy for any conversation whatsoever. Patrick made do with his lot by commandeering a desk in the corner, farthest from the door and away from most of the clerical staff.

What he wanted to do after discovering Mallory's email at the end of his lunch break was to immediately hop the train back to Rhydin City no matter what his commanding officers said, but the DOJ frowned on things like desertion. His life was no longer his own and it was never so painfully apparent than in this moment.

"Pick up. Pick up," he chanted into the receiver, anxiety running through him like cold electricity and making his heart pound in his chest.

He didn't have to wait long. Partway through the second ring, the line clicked. A split-second of static, then his sister's voice hoarsely asking, "Hello?"

"It's me," he said hurriedly, in a rush to give her the exact thing she'd requested: his voice.

"Patrick," she said, and sniffled. "Hey. Thank you."

"Jesus, Mal. Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah. There's security girls downstairs, and I think Sapphire might visit later. Um." Her voice had been quavering, and she hiccoughed. "Eri's been... hurt. Bad. She'll get better, but it's been... It was hard."

Even though he knew all about Eri's lineage, that she would eventually be fine, he was having trouble wrapping his mind around the whole dying part. Just because you have the ability to regenerate doesn't mean the situation wouldn't be traumatizing, especially for the others involved, namely his sister.

Trick hunched forward on his chair, elbows planted on the desk in front of him. "What the hell happened? We just had lunch, like, yesterday."

"I know," she said, with a sobbing laugh in spite of everything. "****." She breathed. "Eri... sometimes girls come to Kabuki Street from bad situations, and they end up working for her, and she and her sister and the other head girls keep people safe. But--"

"How's Saori?" he interrupted apologetically.

"Okay," she said. "I dunno, she... she took it like me, but she's the one who reminded me how oni stuff works. We've been on the phone a lot today."

"Good. Good," Patrick replied, sounding strained.

Mallory took another breath, steadied herself. "This girl Manami got followed by these people, this cult, that wanted her. They attacked her house, killed the girls staying with her, and took her to some old shrine nearby to... summon a demon."

He drew in a slow, horrified breath. "Oh my God..."

"Eri got the call in the middle of the night. I figured out where they took her, and we went to rescue her. We went in, and there was this... thing they'd summoned, but we grabbed Manami, we killed the demon, and..." She choked up with a sudden sob. "A lot of people got hurt, Patrick. I didn't even know what happened to Eri until she was... already dead." The words nearly dissolved into tears, sobbing quieted by something, probably a fist.

"I'm so sorry I'm not there right now. I'd get on the next train if I could. You shouldn't have to be alone." Logically, Patrick knew she wasn't alone. There was all of Eri's gang, Mallory's other friends, like Sapphire and Spencer, and people like her boss who he suspected was more to her than just an employer. But none of those people was him. He should be there. That he couldn't felt something like a betrayal to all the times she'd ever been there for him.

"It's okay," she assured him, as the tears subsided almost as quickly as they'd come. "I got to hear your voice, and I know you're thinking about me, so... you're not really apart from me. I'm not alone," she added, with another sniff.

Always so understanding, his sister. He smiled, albeit sadly. "Thinking, praying for, mediating... I'll even go find someplace to light a candle. I'll cover all the bases."

"Thank you," she said. "She'll find her way home. There's a lot of people waiting for her."

"How, um..." He swallowed the lump in his throat, willing the rise of emotion to settle back down in the pit of his stomach where it belonged, and cleared his throat before trying again. "How long until she's... you know, back?"

"A few days," Mallory said. "I, um... it's been hard to focus on research, since it happened, but that should be right. It's what Saori said. Their dad made it back in twenty-four hours, but he's full-blooded and, well... old."

"And she'll be okay afterward? No side-effects or stupid *** like not knowing who any of us are? Sorry, I don't know anything about this."

"****, Patrick!" there was a gasp, but crying laughter at his speculation and her own outburst.

"Sorry! Sorry. I'm sorry."

She laughed a moment longer and assured him, "It's okay. Um. No, nothing like that. Oni just... come back, good as new. But **** if I don't put her on bed rest for at least a few days."

Another wave of emotion swelled up inside him, and this time it managed to bring tears to his eyes. Alerted to a pair of nearby airmen by their raucous laughter, Patrick swiveled around in his chair to put his back to them and pressed his fingers against his eyelids until he saw stars.

"I'm really glad to hear that," he responded tightly. The source of his anxiety hung between them, unspoken, but palpable.

Mallory sounded wise to it, because what she said next was, "I love you... and I know you love me, too, don't worry," she added with a soft laugh, still affected in tone by her recent tears.

"Fat chance," he breathed, sounding amused in spite of himself.

"I'm glad I got to hear your voice, Patrick."

It was a struggle to keep from saying what weighed on him now, but Patrick bit his tongue in the interest of being supportive. "I love you. Call me anytime. This number I called from is where you can reach me at work. I've got my cell on me all the time after hours. Email. Whenever you need to talk. And keep me updated, okay?"

"Yeah. I will," she promised him. "I'll keep calling, and I'll let you know what's going on... and I'll see you Friday night?"

"Absolutely. End of the duty day, I'm out of here and on a train."

"Friday." There was a brief pause, a quiet sigh. "Love you, Patrick."

"There's been too much love in this phone call. We're gonna have to dial it back a little," he deadpanned.

She snorted. He chuckled. "Friday, butthead."

"Thaaat's better. Later, weirdo."

She murmured a goodbye and they hung up. Patrick sighed, tension knotting itself into an uncomfortable ball in the pit of his stomach as he wondered whether or not Mallory would be able to stay out of trouble until Friday.

#440:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:02 am
    —
Text to Mallory: How are you holding up today? Make sure you eat. I mean it.

--

Text to Rob: Do me a favor? Find a way to take some food over to Mal's place around lunch. A bunch. I'm sure there's lots of girls over there right now. I'll dump some money into your account.

#441:  Author: RJCan Be Found: Wayside Manor PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 am
    —
Text to Trick: K. But why, what's up?

#442:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:14 am
    —
Text to Rob: Eh. Stuff happened. It was crazy. Too much to get into over text, plus... I don't know how much she's telling people. Mal's a wreck and I just need you to check in on her for me. I'd appreciate it.

#443:  Author: RJCan Be Found: Wayside Manor PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:16 am
    —
Text to Trick: Sure man. I'll head over on my lunch break.

#444:  Author: MalloryCan Be Found: The Lyceum or Kabuki Street, most of the time PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:17 am
    —
Text to Trick: I'm ok.
Text to Trick: I thought she was waking up this morning. she should have been out based on my scrying
Text to Trick: but she's not. maybe I ****ed it up. I feel so stupid and helpless.

Text to Trick: patrick what if somethings wrong
Text to Trick: what if shes not coming back?

#445:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:24 am
    —
Text to Mal: She's coming back. And you're not stupid. You're one of the smartest, most capable people I know. Everything's going to be fine. Scry again.

#446:  Author: MalloryCan Be Found: The Lyceum or Kabuki Street, most of the time PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 am
    —
Text to Trick: thank you <3
Text to Trick: yeah. I'm being dumb. I'll just try it again

#447:  Author: Penny EscobarCan Be Found: Battlefield Park Area PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:23 pm
    —
Text to Patrick Richie: hi i have your sunglasses

#448:  Author: PatrickCan Be Found: Stars End; Seaside PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:54 pm
    —
Text to Lucky Penny: Thief! Just kidding. I wondered what happened to those. Thanks for grabbing them.
Text to Lucky Penny: Sorry I've been MIA. My sister's girlfriend died last week, but now she's back and I've been hanging out with them this weekend.
Text to Lucky Penny: Keep my shades safe til I get back? Though I'm pretty sure there's some unspoken girl law that makes them your property at this point. Wink

#449:  Author: Eri MaedaCan Be Found: Kabuki Street PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:39 pm
    —
Text to Mallory: Malallory! I'm hungry! Meet for dinner?

#450:  Author: MalloryCan Be Found: The Lyceum or Kabuki Street, most of the time PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:53 pm
    —
Text to Eri: sure! I'm working on stuff near the lake. let's meet by the Siren at 7 and get greek

Last edited by Mallory on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark -> Queer Portents

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  :| |:
Page 18 of 21