Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

History of RhyDin (Class)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Whispers in the Night -> Bristle Crios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempus Fugit
Lord of Storms
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Groom, Sword for Hire
Can Be Found: Rhy'din / Bristle Crios / The Hanging Garden / Shanachie Theater
1382.74 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Great Scott! Where are we going to get 1.21 gigawatts! Reply with quote

He had frowned as he'd begun to compose the letters that sat before him, having looked just then around the room to gauge how his comments - or rather, his questions - had been taken. He felt bad because he'd obviously put her in a spot, and in the few moments he had between the ticks of the clock he'd had the insight to realize that perhaps he asked like that to make it all seem like something she - and he - could laugh it off if she said no.

In his taking the time to gauge the rooms reaction, he'd noticed the strange change in Atticus, which persisted only a moment and then vanished. The serious side of him - what little of it there was - wondered for a moment if perhaps he should be addressing the sudden change in Atticus, recognizing immediately one of the symptoms of possession; unfortunately the serious side of him was immediately set upon by the rest of him, which trussed it up in a burlap sack and threw it in the corner. And that was the end of that (for now at least).

He took one of the pages in front of him, folded it up carefully into a paper airplane, and threw it down towards the front of the class, cringing as it banked hard to the left and dived - almost to its doom he feared - before rising out from between the seats, cutting between the heads of two of the other students, buoying up further, then diving dramatically towards Lydia's desk, coasting to a rest directly on her notes.

In Brend's letter to Lydia he wrote:
Dear Lydi,
I'm really sorry for what just happened, that's really not the way I'd envisioned it going down at all - then again I should have realized how shy you were right from the get go, knowing what I know of, um, you.

(And yes, he writes exactly like he speaks. It's a compulsion.)

The truth of it is, I've wanted to ask you out for a while, I just haven't been able to work up the nerve. I mean, you're the headmistress of the school, you're kind of high profile, not to mention intelligent and attractive; meanwhile I've been a janitor. I guess maybe I just needed the confidence boost. Regardless, I'm asking now, and would be honored if you would accompany to this Red Carpet event & after party. I'll even make this pledge; if you enjoy it, I'll try to make it last forever, but if you don't, it'll be over before you know it. Think about it. Please.

Yours,
Brend

ps No pressure, but if you say no, you're going to create a whole paradox thing - really not sure how that'll play out yet.

pps Oh, and if you say no and this paradox thing happens, your evil sister will probably win. Just saying.

ppps I can't wait til we're done with this whole, Time Travellers Wife meets Memento thing.

pppps I was kidding about the evil sister thing, you know I'm alright with her, right?

While the rest of the class was preoccupied with his final act of defiance in class before he would absolutely obey the headmistress and remain largely silent and attentive, he took advantage of the distraction and balled up the remaining letter on his desk and fired it - hookshot style - over his head towards Lucas. Though it fell within a short arms reach of the boy, Brend had never even watched where he was throwing it, and had instead maintained a mask of innocence despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

In the balled up piece of paper thrown at Lucas, Brend wrote:
Hey kid. Whatever you're thinking about doing? Do it. Cool Hand Luke style, know what I mean? You're more likely to regret the things you don't do, than the things you do, get me?

Cheers,
Brend

Yep. Nothing to see here. Picture of innocence.

Suddenly he swore out loud, albeit softly. He slapped a hand over his own mouth.

He'd just realized that he should have included IMDB links in the underlined portions of his letter to Lydia.
Blood Sister
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Schoolteacher, Priestess
Can Be Found: Academy of Bristle Crios, or their residence in Dragon's Gate District
3514.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Losing Control Reply with quote

Lydia answered Ammy, “I like to think that our Town Hall would serve a similar purpose, though maybe not to the same extent.”

Catching Atticus’s eyes, she quickly called on him. It was obvious from her expression that his tone and comment unnerved her. “Yes… My home is in the Dragon’s Gate District…” she said vaguely, though she was concerned from the way he said it that he knew exactly where she meant. She stared at him even after his eyes returned to normal, trying to figure out exactly what was wrong. It was long enough to distract her from the flying airplane until it landed on her desk.

“Ok!” she said harshly as she quickly crushed it flat with an open palm. “That is enough for today,” she said sweeter, returning to her normal cheery teaching voice as best she could. “If there are any other questions, please…” She was about to offer to answer any questions after class, but she really just wanted to go. The longer things went on, the more she was losing control. “…feel free to make an appointment to see me in my office.”

“The assignment for this week,” she said before anyone else could interrupt, “will be to go to the Dockside District and find one or two places that interest you, whether they are cultural hot spots, new dining experiences, or one of the historical places I mentioned. Write about the areas and the other people that are there. Include what you think the places mean to Rhydin and its people based on what you observe.”

She placed the flattened paper airplane to the side to read it later and picked up the graded assignments. “I will hand back your assignments as you leave.”

Some students hesitantly looked to each other, not quite knowing what to do because of the change in routine. Eventually a few got up and began to head to the desk, where Lydia gave them back their report, then headed out the door. Other students soon followed suit.
Lucas Foster
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: At home or at work.
764.42 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say Lucas was confused was a bit of an understatement. He was trying to understand everything Ms. Tolmay was teaching them, but the distractions in class were confusing, to say the least.

He'd thought about raising his hand to ask for clarification regarding Dockside, and just where Dockside became WestEnd. Was WestEnd part of Dockside, even though it wasn't anywhere near the docks? Why wasn't WestEnd its own district? Was it too small for that?

But before he'd had a chance to raise his hand, he found a crumpled up piece of paper tossed into his lap, which he shoved into a pocket to read later for fear his teacher might see him and ask for it, and then she was dismissing them and handing back their papers on the way out.

Lucas tipped his head close to Fliss as they rose from their seats to start toward the door behind the other students. "Is it me or is something weird going on around here?" he whispered.
Ammy Spiritor
Just An Alchemist
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Alchemist, Apothecary
Can Be Found: Alchemist's Fire Complex and around Rhy'Din
19099.08 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the first class for her to attend as a student had been anything but a usual class from what she'd had imagined. That thought aside though, she was happy to get a small feel of anticipation in participating and asking questions. Ammy stood from the desk she sat at, stowed away her notebook and pen in her satchel then shot Professor D'Arcstorm and Mr. Stormgaard a long, studying glance. She too was wondering what was going on and had a small sliver of deep worry that perhaps the sins of last year were not over.

She would let her gaze drop, her calculating mind overworking again and she noted the three students as well that Professor D'Arcstorm mentioned in their shell game of a conversation. More to think on that she wasn't sure about. She'd leave the desk and stop by Lydia for a moment to drop a few words of encouragement for her.

"I enjoyed the class, Professor Tolmay. I am looking forward to my assignment with joy. You handle yourself a lot better than I would have if such were in my class. Then again, perhaps that is why I have pulled back from teaching lately and want a new view on who and why I teach. Thank you for teaching me today." She kept her voice low enough for Lydia to catch. She gave Lydia a deep bow of respect and would leave the classroom.

In the hall way, she pulled out her phone and sent Professor D'Arcstorm a message manually. With that done she was off to spend time in Dockside.
Fliss
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Maple Grove
9975.12 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frowning a little at the way the class seemed to have so abruptly ended, Fliss glanced at Lucas in time to see him pocket a balled piece of paper. Curious, she made a note to ask him about it when they were out of the classroom, gathering together her belongings and rising with him as he murmured to her.

"No, something weird is definitely going on around here," she murmured back to him, casting a reproving glance back at Brend as they headed for the desk.

She enjoyed learning, and she knew she was lucky to have the privilege of doing so in such an ordered environment. That order seemed to have been threatened, and Fliss felt unsettled. How were they supposed to learn anything at all if another student was grandstanding and disrupting everything? She didn't want to fall behind, and she knew Lucas would be even less inclined to ask the questions he wanted to ask if he felt as though he was just setting himself up to be mocked.

Collecting her former homework without the usual smile from the professor was an odd experience, leaving her still frowning as she and Lucas headed out of the classroom. As they reached the outside, She took his hand. "C'mon, let's go somewhere private. I need to make something burn before I can calm down."
Atticus DArcstorm
The Artificer
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Alchemist, Engineer
Can Be Found: The Horizon plane / Academy of Bristle Crios / Mage Hall
18907.92 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atticus waited until all but one other had left; Brend sat looking around at nothing in particular, his legs up on the chair in front of him. Atticus discounted him and approached Lydia.

"Headmistress, a very informative session, as I would expect from peer reviews of your work. I must confess I was confused to be referred to as an instructor; during our interview at the Registrar's Office in the Docks, I believe you called me an 'asset', who was to 'claim employment as a consultant.'" He noted her style of dress was certainly different between school and casual; she'd worn black leather to his interview.

"I must ask, would it be acceptable for me to place a Mage Eye in the room for the purpose of Scrying your other lectures? It would be the equivalent of Distance Education." He was curious to see what else was going on here, there were lots of potential amongst the students, but the one who's mind had been tampered with was certainly concerning to him. Ironically, any curious glances Lydia would be casting at him would be largely disregarded due to social ineptitude, specifically his own.

He would await her response with civil demeanor, and no matter what her opinion, he would accept it, and bid her good day. His asking, after all, was only a formality; he'd already cast a Mage Eye during the class, but had inverted the spell to make it invisible except to the detection of magic.
Blood Sister
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Academy of Bristle Crios, or their residence in Dragon's Gate District
3514.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Full of Surprises Reply with quote

Lydia was grateful as the students came up to collect their reports, then leave.

“You’re welcome, and thank you,” Lydia said to Ammy in return for her compliment.

Then it was only her with the two male observers. She was about to thank Atticus for his compliment, but the sudden mention of previously meeting her at the docks hit her. She closed her eyes hard and left them closed a moment, trying to collect herself. The Registrar’s Office was located on campus… nowhere near the Docks. She had employed him as an instructor, and certainly would never claim someone to be an ‘asset’. He was certain he had met her before but she was certain of one thing – Her twin sister, Leta, could not keep her hands out of her school.

She opened her eyes wide at his question. She had suspected that Leta might have a spy in class, but Atticus had only just started in the course, so she ruled him out from her sister’s mess. But he displayed his own telltale signs of something foul being afoot with his shifting eyes.

“I don’t feel comfortable…” she began, hesitating on saying ‘with you’, but feeling better that at least someone else there if anything went bad, she continued innocently enough, “with something like that in my classroom.” She considered defending herself by explaining that she had already had a security threat during the class, and how some of her papers had been gone through without her permission, but she thought better of it. She hoped a simple ‘no’ would be enough.

“As is best, Headmistress,” Atticus said before turning and exiting the classroom.

Finally, only one more lay in between her and her moving on to her office. She walked around to the front of her desk, much like she did for the question and answer segments. This time, she sat back on the desktop, letting her heels come off from the floor. “Ok,” she said softly to herself, staring at Brend, trying to mentally prepare herself for him. She leaned back, crossed her legs, and rested her palms on the desktop behind her. Feeling the paper airplane she dismissed before, she picked it up, and began to read it.

Her eyebrows raised in his address to her. Only a select few she would allow to call her the nickname. Her focus shifted quickly as she lightly smiled at his apology. ‘Why can’t he be more like this?’ she mused to herself, engrossed in the brief note. She opened her mouth to answer, but paused in seeing the first postscript. She smiled brightly at the light paradox threat. Her eyes narrowed slightly, though she still wore a smile as she read about her ‘evil sister’. Squinting, she read the movie references with a canted head of confusion. But by the time she got to the last postscript, she had the page only a few inches from her face. She put it down quickly, not being able to help herself from a soft laugh as she looked to Brend. He seemed constantly full of surprises.
Tempus Fugit
Lord of Storms
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
1382.74 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brend sat with his legs up watching her read through the note. He smiled, and thought to himself, “Ah, there you are, L.” His smile only grew when she looked up at him after she’d finished.

“So...” his eyes bordered guilt and mischief, “you’re smiling. You don’t appear to be ready to... beat me with a ruler, or make me write out lines for disrupting class, which, as I said, sorry...” Should he give her a chance to answer that? Probably not, better ramble on, “I know a great little seamstress down near the Docks, she could do something matching for us, if you... decide to accept my... request? It’s called Elle’s...” He’d rambled enough, though at least this ramble had one common direction to it.

Lydia looked at him with mild confusion as he spoke, though she still smiled. “I never heard of it, but I think that might sound nice…”
‘Wait,’ she thought as soon as the words came out. The class had been hectic enough, but now she was agreeing to this. She didn’t know what she was saying.

“I don’t know,” she backtracked. “I don’t really go out that often.” Parties weren’t really her thing, and big, glamourous ones where that much more intimidating for her.

“Hmm,” he made the considering noise as he rose to his feet with a warm smile, “Guess you should have considered that before you accepted. So, what color scheme are you thinking?” He slipped from the chairs and strolled down the aisle towards her. “Plus, you look way too good to mope around grading papers all night every night. Not to mention how good it’ll be for your PR; I mean, publicity for the school, not that there’s a nefarious person wearing your face out there getting into all kinds of trouble. Cause. Yeah, that’d be crazy.”

He nodded at her emphatically, his smile disarming. He was close enough to touch now.

She let out a light laughing scoff when he pointed out her acceptance. But her smile faded as he went on to acknowledge her twin. She looked down with a twinge of sadness. He had to have known of her sister to say something like that. Maybe her sister reached out to him like she obviously had to Atticus. Even worse, maybe he was only asking her to this because he though she was her sister. “I, um…” she trailed off a moment. “If there is, she is not me.” She looked back up, figuring she should answer his question. Looking into his azure eyes, she answered simply, “I like blue.”
Blood Sister
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
3514.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Too Much Work Reply with quote

He frowned a moment, “I know you’re no one other than yourself, Lydi.” That might seem audacious, but its hard to say what he really knew of her, now wasn’t it? By her own admission, he could know something from her sister. Of course, he also called her... that nickname. So who’s to say? He reached onto her desk and grabbed a couple of papers, whose name at the top was ‘Colt Alexander’.

“Sorry, just picking up some homework.” It was two weeks worth of Colts marked hand ins; as far as covering the subject material, he’d been 100% - there was a slight underlying sarcasm to his work that made you not want to give it full value though, as if the person who’d done the work was, well, kind of a little jerk. He paused in retrieving the papers, his smile beaming, “Yeah, I think you’d look great in blue,” he started ticking off a list in his head, except that he was speaking it - softly but audibly, aloud, “We’ll do dress, heels, hm, panties?” He raised an eyebrow and glanced at Lydia a bit more speculatively now.

Lydia jumped up from the desk defensively as he grabbed the homework. As if her sister rifling through them wasn’t enough, now he was doing so right in front of her. She was about to stop him, but paused, trying to sort things out. By the time he got to the ‘panties’ remark, she was half tempted to slap him. “I don’t understand. Why are you taking Colt’s assignments? Why was he not in class today?”

He never missed a beat in his deception, mostly because it wouldn’t do anyone any good just at the moment for her to realize the complete truth.
“I’m his guardian. I’m picking up his assignments. You can check with the registrars office, or with Rebecca,” he gave a small smile, “I was, um, with him when he signed up personally for your class. His tone became less teasing and more gentle, “Too much work? ... Come on. Come spend the night away with me. Before you burn out.” He waved the papers subtly, “Sorry, I should have asked. I just saw his name at the top.”

“No, thank you. I enjoy what I do,” she said tersely, quickly gathering up the rest of her notes from the desk. “And I have more work to do tonight… if you’ll excuse me…” she said distantly as she attempted to go passed him. She would definitely be checking with Rebecca when she got back to her office. She suspected his story would prove true, but she wanted to verify it for her own peace of mind.
Blood Sister
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
3514.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Epic, Tragedy, Romance Reply with quote

Of course his story would prove true. It was true. “I know you do. Enjoy what you do, that is.” He stepped sideways, ever so subtly, at first making it look like he was trying to get out of her way, but got mixed up in which way to move. “Wait, please, just,” he pinched the bridge of his nose, a second, then let his hand fall away to look her in the eyes, “It’s easier for me to write serious things on paper than say them, please. Just, give me a chance. I know I act a little ridiculous sometimes - I feel like I can’t help it; it’s like I’m a character in some epic, tragedy, romance, sci fi fantasy, poorly written by some third rate hack - and if there’s anyone reading, I pity them.” He wasn’t going to imply she worked too much again, that was for sure. Better to just divert her attention without letting her know it was happening.

But, he wasn’t looking to be underhanded at the moment, more to legitimately apologize. “I’ll tell you what,” he hoped the small smile he wore was enough to let her know he was kidding by what he was about to set, “I’ve got my heart set on spending that night with you. So, either... you come with me. Or, I’m going to come help you grade papers.” He was teasing, it was obvious in his tone - on the other hand, his presence while trying to grade someone’s paper might make a person cry.

“Well, I don’t think it was quite the epic, nor as bad as a tragedy, but you certainly made class… interesting,” she said with a half smile, in an attempt to show she wasn’t offended, but she did want to go to finish her work. “I thank you for the offer to grade papers tonight, but I think I can handle it. Instead, I would be honored to take you up on your offer for the After Party. Since you must already know Rebecca, I hope you’ll leave her information regarding when and where.” Her eyes were softer as she looked to him.

He didn’t smile, he full on grinned. “Yep.” He almost bounced on his toes as he stood there talking to her. He wasn’t trying not to say too much, he didn’t want to give away just quite how pleased he was. “Oh!” He almost forgot, since she didn’t answer. “The clothing thing, you were good with that or... did you want to head down to Elle’s with me?”

Mimicking her attitude towards grading, she answered with a smile, “I think I can handle that on my own, too, but thank you. Have a good night, Mr. Stormgaard.”
Tempus Fugit
Lord of Storms
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
1382.74 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Trifecta: 1 Story, 1 Colt, 1 Brend, 1 Ages. Mic. Dropped. Reply with quote

“That’s too bad, you’d really like it.” he frowned, he was moving with her - not before. He’d start for the door when she was ready, kind of escorting her... also kind of unwilling to leave. “And it’s Brend, if you don’t mind. Or some version of that. No one’s been called Mr. Stormgaard. Ever. Not even my father.”

She looked at him strangely, but still smiled. “Ok… Brend,” she said, taking note of how he moved with her. “And if we’re discussing preferred names, if you like, you can call me Lydia,” she added extra emphasis to her ‘A’ ending. “You don’t know me well enough for anything other than that…” She added softly, “yet.”

“Oh?” he was asking in regards to her claim he didn’t know her well enough yet, and maybe she wouldn’t put it together that that’s what he’d latched onto, but... “Sometime when I’m not focused on entertaining you, or making you laugh... we’ve really gotta talk history, bet I could tell you some surprising things - if I could make you believe them would be another matter.” He’d likely sound like an outright liar, but she’d probably laugh and smile at his oddball stories - never realizing they didn’t come -close- to the truth, that they were in fact -the- truth. He smiled warmly at her as they left, his hand ever so lightly hovering over the small of her back, barely ever touching. With that, they walked out the door.

A few moments after they left, the door opened again and Brend’s head peeked around the door jam. “Um. Hey guys. For those of you who got here... late, or, maybe you’re early for next class... or I dunno, maybe you’re just, reading through - in which case, no loitering - just thought I’d clear up, she said yes to the whole date thing. I know what you faithful readers are thinking, either, “That was really up in the air!’, or maybe, ‘Can you believe she’s going out in public with that animal?’ and another thing...”

Suddenly Brend was jostled from behind and tripped into the room proper, as some older guy with a mop and bucket elbowed him out of the way. He muttered something mostly unintelligible to Brend, who rubbed at the points of impact from the mans mop handle.
“Alright, I guess show’s over for now. See y’all again in the next installment.” Brend ducked out of the room, leaving only the old janitor who looked up after Brend as he left, muttering as he pulled his cap down over his wild, snowy hair.

“Weirdo.”
Fliss
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
9975.12 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really was amazing the things you could do on your last day of freedom for a month, even if it was completely unwittingly. Having hit upon a marvelous cheat that actually had history at its heart for once, Fliss and Lucas had spent a very productive afternoon at the Shanachie Theater for this week's assignment, together with a brief visit to the Divining Shoreline to round things off. The events of that little trip certainly gave them both an interesting anecdote to end their essays on.
Ammy Spiritor
Just An Alchemist
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
19099.08 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammy's assignment report was sent directly to Lydia's office, folded, precise and accompanied with home made ginger candy and some chocolate chip cookies. A small note was attached as well.

The note would simply read:

I thought perhaps some ginger and some home made cookies would help ease the tension I sensing from you. I don't know what is going on, but I do hope you'll find comfort soon. Attached is my history homework for week 4 and no I am not bribing you for good grades. Should you ever want to talk to me about.... some things that have happened I will happily accept your company any time of the night. I do need to ask about something misplaced that I have yet to find any trace of. Would you happen to know where my Chaemera Pistol went during the Kracken attack? I have spent a year atoning for any wrongs I have done against the Academy and that gun is the last atonement needed, for within it . . . the Kracken would look like a pet compared to what core can do.

Just a Student,
Ammy Spiritor

Blood Sister
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
3514.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Missing Chaemera Pistol Reply with quote

Before the next class, a letter from Lydia would be waiting for Ammy in her Academy mailbox.

Lydia Tolmay wrote:
Ms. Spiritor,

I regret to inform you that the Chaemera Pistol has gone missing. The last time I had seen the item was when I had given it to a campus security guard to use in order to defend Mage Hall during the Daemon Kraken incident over a year ago.

After receiving your letter, I inquired about its location to campus security. It was never turned in by the security officer to whom it was entrusted. I suspect the disappearance of the item may have to do with his sudden demise after the incident.

I offer my deepest apologies for the missing weapon. I would like to provide you with any available campus supplies or services that may help recreate the item to your satisfaction. Please let my secretary or myself know if there is anything that you may need in order to do so.

Humbly,
Lydia Tolmay
Blood Sister
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
3514.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Week Five Reply with quote

History of RhyDin: Week Five
Mount Yasuo

At the end of the last class, the over protective Lydia attempted to look for the missing student, Colt Alexander. As soon as she looked at the contact information her secretary Rebecca had given her, she realized the streets and area codes did not exist in Rhydin. In a last ditch effort, Lydia pulled his student number, but it was not a student number… it was a staff member’s, specifically, a janitor. Brendryck Stormgaard. Looking back, it shouldn’t have been a surprise. Both had the same azure blue eyes and tousled blonde hair. Learning the alternate identity of her ‘student’, she felt foolish after their exchange last week. As if she didn’t have enough working against her, she could add ‘dating a co-worker’ or worse, ‘a student’, to the growing list of grievances against her.

On her way to class, she wondered how she managed to keep her job. Today, she told herself, I will maintain control.

Lydia walked through the classroom door a few minutes before the clock struck the hour. Determined of her priority for the evening, she kept her head up, higher than normal, with her raven hair held secure in a tight bun at the nape of her neck. Her usual professional attire was even more straight-laced, as she wore a simple white blouse buttoned up to the collar with a harsh black blazer over it. A smooth citrine stone hanging from a yellow gold chain gave little color against the white blouse. Her lower half was encased in black, from her black pumps, solid black nylons, and black circle skirt cut modestly passed her knees. The black of her ensemble gave a stark contrast to the pale cream skin on her face and hands as she smiled to the class and placed the graded papers on her desk.

As the clock struck the hour, she was up at the board writing Mount Yasuo with a solid line underneath. Turning to the class with her gentle smile, she began.

“Although this class is devoted to the history of Rhydin, I would be remiss to skip two areas that hold just as much culture and connection to our fair city. This week I will be discussing the stories of the history of Mount Yasuo.”

“About a week’s travel north of Rhydin City lies a mountain range famous for its natural vistas, high plateaus, and deep valleys. In addition to the beautiful flora from its wildflower dotted rocky ranges to its heaven reaching forest trees, animals are just as plentiful in this area of Rhydin. Everything from rabbits, squirrels, deer, wolves, mountain lions, bears, and various forms of hawks and eagles call this stunning land home. But it is the tales of its people that make the land great.”
Blood Sister
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
3514.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Week Five Reply with quote

“Centuries ago,” Lydia began, her smile fading from her lips as she grew more serious, “A man named Anura Khan desired to rule the world. With his vast army of barbarian warriors, fearsome war engines, and powerful wizards, he had conquered most of the northeastern continent. On his way to Rhydin City, he saw the beautiful lands of Mount Yasuo and chose it as his next conquest.”

After adding the name, Kalfyi San under the Mount Yasuo heading on the board, she continued, “A man named Kalfyi San lived on Mount Yasuo, the highest and central-most peak of the mountain range. The philosopher, sage, poet, inventor, and wizard knew that Yasuo’s small army was no match for Anura Khan’s oncoming horde. He gathered eight of the greatest wizards he knew, each holding to one particular noble trait: courtesy, compassion, courage, honesty, honor, sincerity, and duty. Together, they built nine towers, one on each of the five peaks and the four plateaus between them, with Kalfyi San in the center on Mount Yasuo.”

“Upon reaching the mountains, Anura Khan’s mighty war engines simply shut down. Angered by this, he ordered his powerful wizards to destroy the barrier created by Kalfyi San and his allied wizards. During this magical battle, the nine wizards made the ultimate sacrifice. Instilling their power directly into the towers to generate a massive wave of mystic power, using all of their noble traits together, they destroyed Anura Khan, his wizards, and the rest of the invading army. Their towers still stand as the Circle of Nine and still protect the entire Yasuo range to this day, replenished every generation by a new wizard of the Circle sworn to protect Mount Yasuo and the Yasuan way of life.”

Lydia paused to add Circle of Nine on the board. “Because of this history, the Barrier prevents other wizards from teleporting directly into the range. The closest a wizard may teleport is a half day’s journey on foot. The energy emanating from the towers also causes machinery and other advanced technology to malfunction when close to the Barrier, and to completely shut down within its boundary. As a result, the Yasuan way of living is simple. They spend their days striving to perfect their skills of mind, body, and spirit. Most strive to become enlightened warriors that have mastered the ways of armed and unarmed combat, as well as the mystical chi.”
Fliss
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
9975.12 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The even more strait-laced appearance of Professor Tolmay did not go unnoticed this week. In fact, it made Fliss feel a little ashamed of her own thrown-together appearance - she was still in uniform, but her blouse was unbuttoned at the neck, her cardigan was rolled up to her elbows, and she was very aware of the ladders in her tights. Not to mention the tiny blue dragon clinging to her shoulder, dribbling water down her arm whenever he felt the need to display some pleasure with whatever was happening.

Still, the change of pace with the topics was welcome. After being grounded, Fliss was anxious for something, anything, different to liven up her days, and this lesson seemed more of a story than a lesson at all. With one hand scorching notes onto her special notepad, she listened in fascination, her other hand idly flicking a flame onto the tip of her thumb to keep Lir amused during class-time. The little dragon was still experimenting with being able to put out a flame, enthralled by the way she could turn one on whenever he fancied it.

When the professor paused, she raised her less occupied hand to ask a question, rather than wait until after the lecture was done. "Did all that really happen, or is it like an allegory?" she asked curiously. "Just, you know, the Circle of Nine ... the towers, or wizards who made them, or whatever ... seems like a metaphor for the virtues, and Whose-it Khan is like the vices. So it's sort of like good overcoming evil, like every culture has a story of. Right?"

Last edited by Fliss on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Ammy Spiritor
Just An Alchemist
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
19099.08 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammy was in class again, on time, still relaxed and informal. It seemed the Lupe professor was making a point to show she was not a professor for the time being, but just another student given how she wore simple white jeans, a black shirt with green ivy plants printed on it and had her baseball cap sitting on top of the desk. Crimson hair was pulled into, if anyone could believe it on Professor Spiritor, pigtails and she was intrigued in the appearance of Lydia today. Seems the last class had impacted the teacher a bit hard.

Beyond that observation she pulled out her notebook and began to take notes and was intrigued about the Circle of Nine she spoke of and what sounded like a very large, complex defense spell and anti-energy field array. A field trip there may be worth it if she could find the time. She was intrigued that the field and towers as well as the mysticism of Mt. Yasuo was due to a conquest going on in Rhy'Din some time ago. She smiled hearing the questions the student named Fliss had asked.

Ammy would refrain from asking any questions at this time as many that she had would not really fit in with the context of the class and better answered if she explored the place herself.
starbound
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
Jobs: Artist
Can Be Found: Ireland, England, and Rhydin
342.00 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Dove and Flowers first class - accepting a challenge. Reply with quote

It did seem new students came out of the woodwork when it was near the end of classes. Why would the history of Rhydin be any different? Having enrolled in the school rather late Dove found herself playing catch up with he class by going through old notes and the like. Assignments were found, written down, then tucked away for a later time period. For now, she would focus on the class.

“Shush,” the words were ordered to Flower. That skunk was sitting in the chair beside her the two of them somewhat near the back of the class. Often she found herself here since it was easier for her to be able to do her thing without others to nearby. Pen was on her paper having used one of the older enchanted pen and ink bottles that automatically wrote down the notes. She found sitting in a few of these classes, be it for fun or other, she often missed things and the word for work manuscript helped her study.

Chittering of the skunk could only be heard a few seats away by human ears but weren’t most of these people non-human? If they looked over they could see her grasping the creature to hull onto her lap the legs coming uncrossed to give him more room to sit. Flower tucked his head along her thigh as he nuzzled her nails digging into the back of the creature’s neck stroking it.

Like any child of great adventures the first thought in her head when it was spoken teleporting was barred was to try to break that. Corner of her mouth twitched as she leaned back setting the nails further into his fur while whispering to her pet. “Challenge accepted.”

Bristle Crios, Werewolf House; Bandages and Bottles Apothecary, Delivery Girl, Student & Healer; Smash & Grab, Adventure Trainee.
Lucas Foster
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: At home or at work.
764.42 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't miss Lucas' attention that several strange things were going on in class today.

For one thing, there were a few students who were obviously missing, while a new one had arrived - one that seemed to have a skunk for a pet. Though Lucas had yet to smell anything strange coming from that area of the classroom, was it any wonder the other students were giving her a wide berth?

Then, there was Miss (he assumed it was Miss) Tolmay, who seemed even more serious and straight-laced than ever today. While that wasn't such a strange thing to him, he thought he liked her better when she was smiling. He wasn't sure what it was about her, but she just seemed less scary that way.

And then, there was Lir, Fliss' fledgling dragon friend who seemed to accompany her wherever she went these days. Not for the first or last time, it struck him how very different Rhy'Din was from Earth. Pets weren't allowed in class there - not even those of the usual variety - and though he knew Lir was mostly harmless, he couldn't help but wonder if the skunk was a familiar of some sort. He'd heard of such things, but he knew nothing of the new girl, and he was too shy to ask.

And that was to say nothing of the girl, woman, whatever she was with the body of a woman and the head of a ... was that a wolf? He didn't want to think on that too hard or too long.

He might have a large pair of feathered wings on his back, but that was the only thing that made him different really from an ordinary human - or so he believed.

His thoughts only strayed for a little while though, before he was taking notes. Mount Y-A-S-U-O, he wrote, scribbling furiously while their teacher lectured, and he found himself wondering what it would be like to be one of those well-trained warriors who worked so hard for perfection.

Lucas lifted his head from his notebook at last and waited until Fliss had spoken before tentatively raising a hand to ask a question of his own.

"But if you can't teleport, how do you get there?" he asked, assuming one then had to travel the old fashioned way. It seemed to him one could get there by flying, too, if they knew the way, and he wondered what it would be like to visit. Still, there had to be an easier way. "Can you get there by portal?" he asked curiously, wondering if their next assignment was going to involve another field trip.
Blood Sister
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
3514.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Week Five Reply with quote

Looking around at the class that was quickly becoming a literal zoo due to the addition of pets and familiars, Lydia’s eyes soon closed for a moment as Fliss raised her hand. She would expect an interruption from Brend, but not her sweet, innocent Fliss. “Yes, Miss Storm,” she answered with her eyes still closed, pretending to maintain control of her once structured lesson plan.

When Fliss asked her question, Lydia opened her eyes with a smile, answering kindly, “Well, it certainly could be a simple myth to explain the phenomena surrounding the mountain range and valleys, but there may be some truth to the stories. For example, it is true that the nine towers do stand, and they do have certain ‘guards’ that many claim to be powerful, mystical keepers of the towers. It is also true that there are mysterious wards that protect the mountains and valleys, preventing many electronics and even some magicks to work within its boundaries. I guess, at the end of the day, one may have to go to Mount Yasuo to decide the differences between fact and fiction. Until I hear otherwise, I personally like to believe the tales. As you call them, stories of ‘good overcoming evil’ can be soothing to the soul.”

When Fliss seemed satisfied by the answer, Lydia went on to answer Lucas. “Well, Mr. Foster, there are always the good old fashioned ways of getting around without the use of magic and technology. Keep in mind, one may use any and all types of transportation, magical and technological included, up until the boundary of the Circle of Nine. So do not feel as though that week’s journey on foot will indeed take the whole week. Now, once inside the barrier, it has been said that some technology and magic may work, but it is essentially ‘cut off’ at that barrier. I would imagine if one ‘fixes’ their machinery or ‘recharges’ their magic source, then it may work once again. Again, due to the distance and the obvious initial setbacks, many due not typically venture into Mount Yasuo, so not much is known as fact.”

Realizing that the interruptions had only been caused due to the enthusiasm for the material, she added with a smile, “It has been discussed to offer a few week course exploring the varied aspects special to Mount Yasuo, from its flora and fauna to its historical landmarks to assessing the details of its technological and magical limitations. There has not been enough of an interest in the past to warrant a trip, but that is always up for discussion in the future…”
Blood Sister
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
3514.28 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Week Five Reply with quote

“Though not right now,” she said almost with a laugh. Before anyone else could chime in, Lydia quickly continued her lecture, “Once within the Barrier of the Circle of Nine, the smaller paths find their way to the main road. Within three days, the road leads to the town of Jenli, which may only be entered through the large south-facing double door gate.” She continued speaking as she turned to write Jenli. The white chalk on black slate mirrored her own contrasting attire. “The walls of the city are not quite walls but are, instead, the rears of the tightly packed buildings outlining the town. Each building has its own look and character, giving the ‘wall’ of the city a varied and unique appearance. Once one is through the massive gate, you face the heart of the city, the central square. More of a circle than a ‘square’, it is mostly occupied by a large, elevated stone stage that is often a gathering point for fighters, whether they aim to practice their skills, defend someone’s honor, or teach a new fighting technique. Many gather to watch the fights, sometimes wagering on the outcome.”

“There are a few vendor stalls set up around the square, but the main establishment of note to travelers and visitors to the town is the Ivory Lotus Pavilion.” Lydia added, Ivory Lotus Pavilion to the board as she continued, “Named for the intricate carving that sits in the place of honor in front of the tea house, the double story octagonal building can be found in the northwest corner of the square. Beyond its welcoming doors, a guest walks down a hall that leads to the main room. Where the main floor is excellent for simple mingling, the second floor is dedicated to the art of serving tea and enjoying a remarkable meal in the company of friends.”

“Daichi Eban Tsai, the tea house’s owner, offers special blends with seasoned leaves that are local, and brought from afar. Freshly-made dainty treats are often served with the tea. The owner’s wife often says that a true tea is lonely without a little something crunchy and sweet to accompany it,” Lydia said with a familiar smile. “If a visitor is seeking shelter from the night, the staff are quick to offer welcoming alternatives, including those that come with a warm meal and soothing bath.”

“Yes,” she said more casually as she laid down the piece of chalk on the thin ledge at the bottom of the board. “Many people in Rhydin often call it the White Lotus Pavilion.” She began walking over to the front of her desk at the side of the room. Leaning against it lightly with the backs of her legs, she added while looking out over the class, “But it is indeed called the Ivory Lotus Pavilion.” From the change in tone, to her relaxed posture, it was clear the formal lecture was over.

She asked with a welcoming smile, “Does anyone have any other questions about Mount Yasuo?”
Fliss
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
9975.12 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realizing she'd interrupted the lesson in mid-flow, Fliss winced apologetically, subsiding as Lucas added his own voice to hers in curiosity. With the professor continuing into the rest of the lesson, she exchanged a slightly shame-faced smile with her boyfriend, unaware that Lir was leaning out through the curtain of blonde hair that fell down her back to study the skunk at the back of the class.

Her hand rose again as they were invited to ask questions once again. "How does that work, though?" she asked curiously. "The whole magic and technology thing not working inside the barrier. Because obviously they've got magic, or it wouldn't have been created in the first place, so does it only work on magic and technology from outside the Barrier?"
starbound
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
Jobs: Artist
Can Be Found: Ireland, England, and Rhydin
342.00 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Hide Reply with quote

Inquires asked by her fellow students were the same ones that played to her own thoughts despite the fact she would not ask it. Well not in front of the class where there was witnesses that might not understand her longing for a bit of chaos (and link her to a recentt challenge she accepted). She took a pen from the bag then set it betwixt her lips while idly rolling up the sleeves of her knitted sweater. That action exposed the single fingerless glove she wore which was pushed out of the way to expose a new canvas. Ink met skin to scribe something along it. She flexed fingers to tighten her forearm and give a broader surface to work with.

At this time, it was painfully obvious to the young woman that a few were watching her. Feet were brought up in her chair placing the booted heels onto the seat. Knees were also brought towards her chest leaving a free arm to wrap about them and allowed the bottom of the material to fan out. This caued a curtain effect to hide Flower and physically pair him with her for a certain spell she was about to

Professor Tolmay went on with the subject causing the others attentions to venture back to her. It was within this moment she opened her flexing digits to scan the many rings she kept on her persona. One, in particular, was toyed with a brief moment then she looked back over the room to make sure others were distracted. Once she was assured of their distraction, she flipped the stone of the ring activating a stealth spell to wrap around her and Flower (the skunk).

The magic surged for a brief moment which might be felt as a rise of goosebumps on the back of neck. For people who often used the cantrips, wove spells, or the like they might feel her still there or even see her if their magic was stronger the basic spell she wove. The others, not inclined to the world of witches and wizards, would only see her bags and the recorder quill left behind. No Dove, no Flower, just their items.

In the serenity of invisibility Dove went on with her observation of the lesson.

A mental note was taken to visit the Ivory Lotus sometime after the lesson. The woman who ran the shop sounded lovely and a streak of hunger was already nagging at her. The smile from the professor caused her to give one in return despite the fact she was unsure if the woman could see her or not. There was no question from Dove which was rather usual for her. Despite the extra work, she did to standardize her own education she was still unsure of herself and often didn’t speak up in the classroom.

Well that was mostly true. It applied to the ones involving history, or reading, or any of mundane topics due to her own struggle with those subjects caused her to go mute and worry about sounding ignorant. Ones on magic, artifacts, herbs, or other mystical classes were the opposing. Flower nuded her hand to which she scratched his neck again waiting to see if the other student’s curosity had gotten the best of them.

Bristle Crios, Werewolf House; Bandages and Bottles Apothecary, Delivery Girl, Student & Healer; Smash & Grab, Adventure Trainee.
Atticus DArcstorm
The Artificer
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Alchemist, Engineer
Can Be Found: The Horizon plane / Academy of Bristle Crios / Mage Hall
18907.92 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atticus had been listening intently to the lecture on Yasuo. He hadn't said anything during the midway point because he was only supplementing his own private study of the area with this lecture, and felt it would be more insightful to listen to the queries of others.

One question in particular caught his attention, from the young woman, Fliss. It was very close in nature to his own study and expertise, and immediately piqued when he gauged what she was talking about before she had finished the sentence. As she'd spoken, he'd silently raised a hand, finger upraised and waited for the Headmistress acknowledgment. Her nod was subtle but she did acquiesce.

"If I may," he began, standing, "you've mentioned twice in the same line of questioning, 'magic and technology', as though the two are immediately lumped together; fascinating how the mind immediately creates that bridge, is it not?. Specifically, the Barrier prevents magical transportation - teleportation - within its limits; it also prohibits technology, anything beyond simple machines such as wheels, and the like, from working within its barrier. I do not believe it has been extensively tested, whether a spell cast from one side of the barrier can effect the other; certainly a cell phone from one side does not work on the other, while a burrow pulling a cart does not have the wheels fall off as soon as it crosses the boundary. What could be interesting, would be the development of technology exclusively on the other side of the Barrier - would it work? Could it cross back to this side, and if it did, could it return again?

"To my mind, it seems much more likely that the spell which was cast was done so to specifically target technology - and that teleportation spells within its boundaries no longer work is caused by the same effect, but that it was unintentional. Certainly, there is correlation between magic and technology both being able to transport people and things almost instantaneously, via spells or aptly named 'transporters', or the like.

"The land within the Barrier is quite suffused with magic, though initially while doing my own research I assumed it must be as barren of magic as it was tech. This is not the case. I strongly suspect given the history we've just heard, along with the basic facts at hand, that during whatever confrontation happened, the magicians were overwhelmed in numbers - and the technology the aggressors were using was so vast in scope that it equalled the threat of the wizards spells; a wizard is potent in battle, but is easily matched by enough men with guns, or even crossbows.

"It seems as though the mages must have enacted some kind of massive enchantment, a mythal perhaps, or a geas over the land itself, that suspended the laws of physics so that science based effects were muted, except those laws which were subsequently enforced by other spells, or some continued effect of the original muting spell."

He was about to go on, to clarify, he wasn't sure he'd made complete sense to the young woman - or the class in general, for that matter.

Then someone vanished in the back of the class. Problematic, in the fact that the week previous he had established a Mage Eye which monitored this specific class, and was visually inverted so that - like the caster who had just vanished, it was also invisible. Though with no dramatic flare to draw attention to it. Atticus rounded where he stood, his eyes becoming blue chrome spheres as he glanced to where the woman and her entourage of Skunk had been sitting.

Prepare yourself, and keep in mind he has little to no social grace.

"This is not Mage Hall," he stated coolly, "that type of display will be distracting to the students, and more than that, given that we are in a science wing, has a marginally higher chance of drawing Paradox spirits - were myself and Lady Spiritor not here to raise the level of Consensus."

He turned away from her, back towards Lydia.

"The most succinct I could manage, Instructor." He nodded, and appeared as though he would say no more.

If he could have, he would have felt bad for drawing out the caster in the back row; in this case she was truly simply unfortunate to have drawn the lot of him sitting in, and having already set up sensory devices from the class before. Furthermore, he was capable of understanding - but not seeing - the irony of pointing out to a student they were distracting, when the week prior he had been distracting to the Lady Spiritor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Whispers in the Night -> Bristle Crios All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: