Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

A&M Study Group at Mage Wing Library

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Whispers in the Night -> Bristle Crios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kincaid
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Artist, Gardener
Can Be Found: Rhy'Din; Dragon's Gate Orphanage, Marketplace, Inn
639.90 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastion's face colored at Andu's advice, and he at least had the good grace to look down to hide the still defiant - perhaps even more so - look upon his face as he tried to brush off his own admission with a joke.

"Well," it was half a mumble, "Can you really blame me for wanting something grand out of this class? That guy gives notes like no ones business, and on top of that I'm not entirely sure he's on the level, I mean, he just goes on, and on..." he just let the comments die on his lips. He'd feel his face burning long after the color had left it; he felt as though he'd taken two steps forward, one step back, and in general thought that his own feelings were very... petty. And probably largely ignoble. But no one is wearing his shoes, except for him, and it's not like wanting to be a rock star makes you one, as it were.
Fliss
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Maple Grove
9975.12 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why shouldn't you want to be the best that you can be?" Fliss asked, half-curious, and half-defending Bat's ambitions. She was a big sister, after all, and protecting the delicate balance between opinion and idiocy was practically in her job description.

"I mean, if you have these abilities, what's wrong with mastering them so completely that you can do whatever you turn your hand to? It's not like Bat said he wants to be master of the universe or anything; isn't it possible to have ambition without it being twisted or corrupted into something bad?"
Andu Kirost
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Coachman, Longshoreman
Can Be Found: In his Home.
1572.96 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hey!, I didn't say anything about wanting to be the best you can be, or even striving to be the best there is. Those are both good goals. It is just the goal of Fame and Glory in and off themselves I mistrust. Ambition can be a good thing, it is just 'what' that ambition is for that can steer one wrongly."

Shrugs, a bit uncomfortably.

"It is just that I have seen too many who chose to strive only for Fame or Glory lose sight of the need to learn and grow in the field they want that Fame or Glory in. It seems to me there are mainly two types of people who are famous. Those who are are "household names" in their own times, and those who are remembered by history. Many of those remembered by history were practically unknown in their own times because what they did wasn't flashy or much given to public interest. But they earned the respect and recall of their peers and those who paid attention to the field they strove in. A lot of Fame and Glory is hype and flash. Granted, those are good things for those who are entertainers, politicians and the like, but they are secondary things for many others. I don't mean that it is bad to find Fame in your own time, just that it is easy to lose sight of your work if that is all that you seek."

Chuckles softly, they are in a library after all.

"Rock Stars are actually a good example. If you were to study the history of rock music, you would find that many of the 'Greats', those whose names and music were popular far beyond their own times were those who played not for the fame, but for their love of the music. While many of those whose names and music were lost to time were those who put more effort into 'selling themselves' then they put into learning their craft."

Andu turns his attention to Fliss consideringly for a moment.

"Fliss, if I recall, in your own family you might find examples of those who are great both in their fields, and as people to be respected. I know your father is famous, he can even be considered a 'household name' back on earth, but does that make the accomplishments of your relative, the doctor, any less just because her name is not so well known? I believe it does not."

Gives a wry grin.

"To get back to the lesson at hand... I think, for purposes of discussion, we might map the ability to use magic onto two scales. These would be talent and skill. The reason I say scales, is how much of each is needed can vary by the style of magic, the magic/science paradigm in force, and the power of the mage. Talent is how much potential for magic a person is born with, while skill is how much one has learned about using the talent one is born with. I know this doesn't have much direct impact on our assignment, I find it handy to have definitions agreed to when possible. Less confusion that way."

Taking a long sip of his coffee, Andu then sighs.

"Sorry if I seem long winded or judgemental or both. I find myself falling into a sort of... 'guiding elder' role too easily these days. the temptation to try to help others avoid the mistakes I've made and seen made is almost omni-present. No judgement is meant, just 'food for thought' as the saying goes."

Andu gives another wry grin, and says one thing more before going back to sipping his coffee....

"And now I'll go silent before I put my boot any further into my mouth."
Ammy Spiritor
Just An Alchemist
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Alchemist, Apothecary
Can Be Found: Alchemist's Fire Complex and around Rhy'Din
19210.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammy snatched another cookie while listening to them all talk. It was evident to herself that her addition to the picture drawn by Bat was most likely too much and off the mark. She silently chided herself for not reeling back her perceptions on things.

"Sorry... if I made a mess of your picture Bat. I forget that I am so used to being over organized dealing with my Alchemy and the shop I run. The OCD bleeds into everything. It seems we all have a workable grasp at the Spheres with formats that work best for each of us." She gave a warm, encouraging grin.

Hearing the explanations on how each one of them felt about magic tugged at her soul some, white furred ears lowering just a little.

"I view magic as... well... I'm not sure how to really explain this. I don't talk much about past lives in public as most people think I've grown a few heads and sprout wings. I once was pure Celestial Energy, way up there..." She pointed a finger up to the ceiling to indicate the heavens and space.

"What little I can remember some days or nights is that I had everything I wanted as pure energy. Everything but emotions. I would watch living creatures on many realms and see them have emotions. Watch them live lives, be born, live, fight, love, do things, even boring things, even die. And I wanted that. So I pestered everything until I got my wish. A mortal life with a soul that never rests. My death means just the end of one life experience and the start of a new one for me, but there is something I miss from being Celestial Energy. Energy. The very life blood up there is magic. Magic was part of me, part of every fiber of my being and mortality came with many prices, one of them is the bittersweet punishment that every new life, I lose memories for a while, I lose my ability with magic, and so I have to learn and study over and over again. That is the only reason I know some of the things I do. I've forgotten more than I can remember." Ammy giggled just a little with a small, wistful sigh tacked on.

"So I can understand why you all wanted to try this class now. To have something that can start to manifest without your control, the infinite possibilities to make a dream soar or just that extra bit of understanding to keep you from harming yourself unnecessarily. All good reasons. Hard reasons sometimes to come to terms and sort out. None of them bad reasons at all.

It may be scary right now Fliss, but I am sure your father had the same moments when he became the Human Torch. With work and study, practice and patience, like you're trying right now, you'll do well. Is it fun that you're forced into magic this way? It may not seem that way, but if you shift the view point of the dislike just a little, you may notice that if you didn't have your magic, would you have met so many interesting people? Or have had a chance to meet Lucas, your boyfriend you mentioned? Magic isn't scary, it's often just misunderstood and needs the right touch and understanding, like a pet that is starting out in life. You'll get to the point of being very proficient in handling your ability Fliss and then you will be able to help many people, protect your siblings and even blend in and hide your powers away if that is what you want.

The ambition you have Bat is commendable. Life is never free if you have a talent that will help you get far, then hone and practice it well. That said, Andu does have decent points. I'd say, just keep an eye on the focus of what you want to do with your talent. If you ever find yourself hitting days or a period of time where nothing feels right, like you feel you've sold yourself out, then hit the eject button and pull out of what you've gotten into. Also, don't ever be afraid to talk with people, lean on them, get advice and ask them to back you up if you need it. Everyone needs a hand to help them up when we've all fallen. I'm speaking from multiple experiences.

As to learning more on how to handle the high end magic, Andu, that may take some doing. I would say for certain to keep an eye on all the various spheres and ways magic is drawn or used that is discussed. It may give you a few ways to build up, build in, or practice methods to keep from shorting yourself out. Soultrii Lupinossai in our home world often had a nasty habit of casting magic until they were fur and bones. Their magic worked with the soul as the focusing point to channel magical energy through and it took a lot of bodily energy to do so. They sorted out the issue by creating soul gem talismans that they would meditate and store a bit of energy into every day. That way when they had to use magic, they could lean on the talismans as magical batteries and save their own bodily reserves for critical or emergency needs."

Ammy sipped at her Chai Spiced Tea. She'd gotten quite a bit wordy too it'd seem but she didn't want anyone to feel that she was just listening and not sociable. She'd suffered enough with that self erected wall over the years.

"Something I would like to add to this conversation some as we are discussing our views on magic. Caution must be used often in whatever we do. Many people joke about disasters happening with magic, alchemy, and other arcane and mystical arts, but accidents can happen if we don't slow down and take time to really know what we are doing. Patience and calmness works well for all aspects of magic. Caution is also a must with magic in how we use it and when we use it. I know we all live Rhy'Din, which is fairly open and accepting but I'm sure we've all seen too just how quick something can be seen as dangerous or threatening to others.

The reason I mention this is because you mentioned what's wrong with being the best you can be and mastering what you can do. Jealousy, envy, greed, spite, and hatred are things some people can feel if they think they can't outdo another. I'm not telling you all not to master things, but to keep an eye out for times where people may confront you about how good you are at things driven by those emotions. Also, the stronger you become in taking care of people and protecting them, the higher you rise in the view of those who may offer potential harm. If people know you can protect others well, they may come after you first and try to remove you first.

Again, not telling you all no or discouraging you all. More like I am trying to give you all a good awareness of the side effects that come with getting better at things. And it's not just magic that this can happen with. Anyone that gets proficient with a job, a career, socializing, sport or celebrity status has the same problems too. It's more of a case of accepting that the more we learn, the more we grow and get better, the more we will have to deal with and overcome. This in turn leads to better understanding in our lives."
She finished her tea and looked at them all.

"Uhm... more than welcome to tell me to chew on a tennis ball if I am getting too odd." She smiled.
Kincaid
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Artist, Gardener
Can Be Found: Rhy'Din; Dragon's Gate Orphanage, Marketplace, Inn
639.90 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd still been focused on the floor when the comment finally clicked in his mind.

"Oh, um, I mean, I don't even know how right I am about it, so don't worry about it, right? I don't know that it's any more or less a mess than what I was talking about anyways," he managed to look up towards Ammy, a wan smile on his features - but at least it was an effort. He was glad that Ammy had brought things around, more back towards a focus on their class together. That was his only comment to her on the matter; he found a lot of what she said mimicked Andu's tone. He didn't like that, but he did at least understand.

As it was, he'd been listened carefully to Andu's words, somewhat stunned by his verbosity and eloquence. It had been an apology, of sorts, though after his initial shame, he wasn't sure if he really deserved to be apologized to. He'd cracked a book while everyone else was talking, while he was trying to maintain his silence. He sketched a few different things, just hastily done. He didn't know what was making him feel so mercurial, so all over the place. Just his age, perhaps? Each of the other three present provoked, in a short time, very different emotional responses from him - maybe it was just him. To top it all off, he knew exactly why they elicited those responses but that didn't help him at all to mitigate the accompanying feelings.

"I don't think you're crazy, or whatever. You just... say so much, in so many directions, I dunno if I can keep track, ya know?" He half smiled, talking to Ammy, though looking at none of them - save for the occasional glance towards Felicity that, when he could help it, didn't last long enough for her to catch him staring. "You need to slow down, either that or, I'm going to need to take notes for our study sessions." He laughed, a terse, soft bark of a laugh that sounded perhaps a little forced - but again, at least he was trying. "So, if we all know these Sphere things, or think we understand them, does that mean that our meeting is like, done? Are we going to have one after every class you think, or...?"

His sketchbook was filled on the left hand page, a work he'd done of someone in the class, and very detailed - though he tried to keep it mostly obscured as he worked. The page he was working on, the right one, bore the growing image of a nightingale.
Fliss
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Maple Grove
9975.12 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinated by the explanation Ammy offered, Fliss smiled apologetically to Andu. She hadn't meant to sound so confrontational, hoping she hadn't offended him too much. He had a good point about the pursuit of fame, and tying it in with her own family made it that much easier to understand.

"I think I get it now," she nodded thoughtfully, glancing at her watch. "Shoot, I gotta get going or I'm gonna miss my ride." Pouting a little, she gathered together her stuff. "I hope we do this again. I think I'm actually going into my homework understanding what the hell the lesson was about this time!"

Grinning, she rose, offering a wriggle of her fingers in goodbye to the little study group. "See you next time!"
Ammy Spiritor
Just An Alchemist
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Alchemist, Apothecary
Can Be Found: Alchemist's Fire Complex and around Rhy'Din
19210.38 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Have safe travels, Fliss and Bat. And this study group is open all the time for anything you're not sure on in the class, or if you just want to hang out after class, kill some time and chat. I wouldn't mind friends. Too many treat me like a teacher still and not the student I'm struggling to be." She smiled to them all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Whispers in the Night -> Bristle Crios All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: