Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

The OOC Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> RhyDin Town Center -> The Governor's Office
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ducii
Deuce of Hearts
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Pilot, Caretaker
Can Be Found: Luks Condos or in the Heavens
130483.20 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say I love how involved all the ministers have gotten! I've really enjoyed reading everything involved with the new governor and the new ministers, and I'm really excited to see all the new things that pop up as a result!!

Great job everyone, and looking forward to reading more!

<3J
Brian Ravenlock
The Patriarch
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Political Activist, City Guard
Can Be Found: Rhy'Din City / Ravenlock Compound / Valley of Harborage
19058.96 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Silver, and awesome work, everyone! And Ducii, thanks ^ ^

I too, love where this is headed, and can't wait to see what comes of it.
Oh yeah, and anyone needs coffee, and cakes, drop down to Citizen Resources. We gotcha, and just make sure to bring 'tribute' for the twins >.<

They take cash, candy, and small furry cute critters, as forms of payment.
Silver Starblade
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Ale Tester, Mercenary
Can Be Found: Dockside or Drinking Somewhere
9026.24 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just talking to Techno's player about how this has taken off. Everyone's player is just fantastic to write/RP with.

Riley, I do think all the Ministers should have a small office in the same building as the Governor.

I did set up a larger office for Sil at the docks, since that's where her ship/business is -and a lot of the trade/commerce come through here.
Drake Valkonan
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Inventor, Engineer
Can Be Found: The Valkonan Lab
2836.74 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it'll come out in play eventually, but it ought to be reasonably well-known that Drake took over a small room in the Governor's office building as his own department. (And promptly expanded it to like ten times its former size, with SCIENCE.)
Technomachia
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Gunsmith, Inventor
Can Be Found: Rhydin. Sometimes Coruscant.
1766.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Mer is going to be bringing offerings of Beanie Babies to Brian's office to trade for coffee, when she runs out of her own...
Warlock
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Astrologer, Cartographer
Can Be Found: RhyDin
150.00 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Drake's posts gave me an idea on how to balance what Silas would want with what would be convenient for the Governor, the other Ministers, and concerned citizens -- a door at or near the Gov. + Cabinet's offices, that (through MAGIC! Neener-neener, science!) leads to his workshop across town.

If that works for you guys? I'll go ahead and post something to that effect this weekend. =) Also, this really is some awesome stuff, and I can't wait to jump in with the rest of you!
Brian Ravenlock
The Patriarch
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Political Activist, City Guard
Can Be Found: Rhy'Din City / Ravenlock Compound / Valley of Harborage
19058.96 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technomachia wrote:
I see that Mer is going to be bringing offerings of Beanie Babies to Brian's office to trade for coffee, when she runs out of her own...

That is so full of win! Very Happy
BardGallant
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Town Drunk, Performer
Can Be Found: Rhy'Din City
20006.80 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... SUPER late to the party. I've had a very busy week that's kept me offline.

As to the idea of a a folders specifically designed for the ministers... If you guys want to do that, go ahead, though I see no real need. For the past three years, this folder (The Governor's Office) hasn't had a whole lot of activity, and I'm personally loving the increase in activity that we're providing for it now. You all have done a spectacular job in your writing, and though I haven't seen much of it personally I've no doubt in your RP of these new positions as well.

I don't see how posting in this folder is "cluttering things up." I think posting in this folder is "finally putting it to extended use." Before, this folder saw minimal use of a few scattered threads mostly posted by Kitty and Matt in their time. Every so often there was the occasional post from anyone else trying to get the Governor's attention, but not much. I like seeing this folder being put to use myself. Which leads me to the other question you guys asked...

Where are the offices of the Ministers located? Well, first and foremost that's entirely up to you. But I agree that I think there is at least an office in the main building itself. I had actually intended on writing a thread about that, something to do with "Renovations," but life has been bogging me down this past week and I haven't been able to let my creativity soar as brilliantly as you lot have so far.

I'd say that each Minister at least has a "main office" as directed to being in the main City Hall, or whatever, but that's not to say that's where they conduct most of their business. They could, as Warlock suggested, just be doors that magically open a rift or portal to another location, making the office much bigger than it should logically be (see: fit in this space what?). Anything's possible. There are no limits but your own imagination.

THAT said... You guys definitely put a smile on my week. Hopefully life lets go of me and lets me write a few things of my own here. After all that campaigning and setting up the Minister positions, though, I tell you... My muse and I needed a short vacation. We'll be back very soon.

Keep up the amazing work, you guys! I'm glad you're all enjoying this SL as much as I am. Very Happy
Silver Starblade
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Ale Tester, Mercenary
Can Be Found: Dockside or Drinking Somewhere
9026.24 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Governor! *waves*

Okay so I'll keep the Ministers here then. It was an idea to roll with because I know some people were thinking about requesting their own folder. I don't mind posting all my Minister stuff here Smile

I already set up an office for Silver in the docks with the intention of having a smaller office in the same building as the Governor. It would be great to start an "office" thread once everyone decides.

Like I said, this has been great so far!
BardGallant
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
20006.80 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it... I think I'd sooner petition to get the name of this folder changed from "The Governor's Office" to "City Hall" or "RhyDin City Hall." Though really, if everybody wants to try to get their own folders for the positions, I have no problem with that either. I'm not exactly In Charge of how you run your stories. All I can do is share my opinions on them and offer suggestions. I'll favor whatever the majority decides.
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Midwife, Herbalist
Can Be Found: Navarra Farms, Duchy of Navarra
15272.22 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BardGallant wrote:
Come to think of it... I think I'd sooner petition to get the name of this folder changed from "The Governor's Office" to "City Hall" or "RhyDin City Hall." Though really, if everybody wants to try to get their own folders for the positions, I have no problem with that either. I'm not exactly In Charge of how you run your stories. All I can do is share my opinions on them and offer suggestions. I'll favor whatever the majority decides.

What about City Hall being the main board with the Governor's Office and each of the Ministers having a folder within it?
Technomachia
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Gunsmith, Inventor
Can Be Found: Rhydin. Sometimes Coruscant.
1766.84 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:

What about City Hall being the main board with the Governor's Office and each of the Ministers having a folder within it?

This. It seems like a really good idea!
Drake Valkonan
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2836.74 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd honestly be surprised if any of us individually generated enough traffic for a whole subboard.
Riley ORourke
Etoile de la Danse
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Apartment in West End
9765.08 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technomachia wrote:
PrlUnicorn wrote:

This. It seems like a really good idea!

Collie's all about the good ideas, yo. Smile
Is it living or just existence?
Locke DVestavio
The Ice Elf
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Tailor
Can Be Found: New Haven, RhyDin City
40993.74 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think...it might be a good idea to codify the Governor's folder to be something more along the lines of the Forums (RhyDin Town Center, WestEnd, The Scathachian Sanctuary, etc.). To me, it feels like the folder's ownership goes beyond the current governor, or the governor's current player. I think it belongs to the site at large, and I think past precedent, where Kitty/Kitty's player passed the moderator baton onto Matt Simon/Matt's player should be emulated in some way. Whether that's making moderation of the folder more of an OOC site administrative thing with an IC moderator of the governor, or just making it a more binding policy that the current governor moderates the folder during the time of his/her/its term, I have no real leaning towards either way.

Thoughts?
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
15272.22 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake Valkonan wrote:
I'd honestly be surprised if any of us individually generated enough traffic for a whole subboard.

Maybe not, but think in long term. Who thought the Governor's Office would need its own board at the beginning as opposed to a thread stuffed in some far off corner? Some of the Ministers' players are already going hog wild with ideas. If the Governor SL continues, odds are the positions of Ministers won't be going away.

So, amend the suggestion. The standard rule of 20 (or is it 25 posts?) should apply. Those that have the required number, should be allowed the option of a folder for their Ministry Office. Those that don't, well, it's moot isn't it?

I also suggest dropping a note to the person in charge of board creation to see if they are willing to divide this up and give mod controls over a potential City Hall Board (subforum) to the player of the current governor as well as mod tools to the players of the Ministers.
Drake Valkonan
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
2836.74 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:
So, amend the suggestion. The standard rule of 20 (or is it 25 posts?) should apply. Those that have the required number, should be allowed the option of a folder for their Ministry Office. Those that don't, well, it's moot isn't it?

This is quite reasonable. Smile
Amaltea
Chief Trouble Maker
RDI Admin
RDI Admin

See this user's pet
Jobs: Chief Trouble Maker

209343.78 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake Valkonan wrote:

That's what I'm thinking.

PrlUnicorn wrote:
I also suggest dropping a note to the person in charge of board creation to see if they are willing to divide this up and give mod controls over a potential City Hall Board (subforum) to the player of the current governor as well as mod tools to the players of the Ministers.

That would be me. I have my reservations about this. There's a lot of activity right now, but what happens a few months from now? Not saying that any of you will lose interest, but life happens.

What if the next Governor disbands the ministry?

I think for now this should be a good starting point. We can discuss this again a few months down the road.
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
15272.22 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaltea wrote:

That would be me. I have my reservations about this. There's a lot of activity right now, but what happens a few months from now? Not saying that any of you will lose interest, but life happens.

I understand and respect your reservations, however, isn't that a bit unfair given that many players request boards without additional stipulations involved? Shouldn't these players be given the same chance, just like everyone else beginning a new SL, providing that minimum requirement of 20 posts is met? This is not asking for what is special, this is asking for what is fair under requirements for new boards.

However, I've had my say and it's up to Dris and those playing Ministers to follow through on what they feel is right.
Riley ORourke
Etoile de la Danse
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Apartment in West End
9765.08 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Amaltea was saying that she was against making another folder for the Ministers. I think she was saying that she was against making another...uh...I have no idea what to call it, but I'm gonna go with subforum, like Whispers in the Night or WestEnd or Dragon's Spine. For right now. And I agree. Another folder, like my Zen Gardens or even this one, would be nice, but I think using this one suits our purposes fine for now. If, in the fall or whenever, we find we do actually want a separate ...uh... subforum or even a folder, then maybe we should talk about it again.

Did I:

A - make sense?
B - make the correct assumption about Amaltea's reservations?
Is it living or just existence?
Caelyn
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Midwife, Astrologer
Can Be Found: Wandering
3512.90 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I'm getting as well.
BardGallant
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
20006.80 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Riley, and the term I hear the administration uses around here is Super Folder. What Collie's suggesting does sound ideal, but I find that I have to side with Amaltea on this.

There are currently only 9 extremely active players in this SL. Only 9. Taking a look at the results of the 2010 Election Poll puts a little more perspective on her reservations. That poll shows us that there are at least 80 individual players on Dragon's Mark, given that the rules of the poll state that there may only be one vote per player, and I know Amaltea has the means to verify that from her position.

Myself, playing the governor, and the 8 of you I picked to play ministers only accounts for 9 out of (at least) 80 total individual members/people who share this community forum on Dragon's Mark. That's only 11% of the role-playing population here. And even from my point of view, that's not really a large enough number of interested parties.

I can name two Super Folders already that have been removed from these forums due to lack of interest and activity. There's the RhyDin Museum Complex that has been catacombed. I can see it. I'm pretty sure everybody else can too, but there it sits in the Catacombs category of these forums, unused since last April of 2009. The other Super Folder was Kairee's Splendiferous. I think that one's just hidden and not catacombed, but I don't see it anymore.

I think if you're going to compare the Governor's SL to any other Super Folder available, it should be the Scathachian Sancutary and not the WestEnd. The SS Super Folder is designed for a very specific and centralized storyline, whereas WestEnd is open to any location anyone wants to shove in there (with I think Sid's approval). I don't know how many individual players are involved in the SS group, but I know they've kept that folder going strong for years. Since the beginning of this site, I'm fairly sure.

In brief, I agree with Amaltea. Let's see how well this "expansion" takes off, if at all. Wait and see if by next year the next governor likes the idea well enough to continue it his or herself. We're breaking ground here, that's for sure. I think what we should do is work hard to encourage more interest and other player participation. If we can make that grow, then I'd say we've accomplished something great here and well deserving of a super folder. But not yet.
BardGallant
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
20006.80 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since I'm late to the party everywhere, I'm going to link a redirect on this topic to the DM OOC boards where Locke started something up, in case anyone wants to further discuss this:

Governor's Office Folder

So we don't clutter up this thread with a single topic.
Amaltea
Chief Trouble Maker
RDI Admin
RDI Admin

See this user's pet
Jobs: Chief Trouble Maker

209343.78 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BardGallant wrote:
Taking a look at the results of the 2010 Election Poll puts a little more perspective on her reservations. That poll shows us that there are at least 80 individual players on Dragon's Mark, given that the rules of the poll state that there may only be one vote per player, and I know Amaltea has the means to verify that from her position.

That's correct, 80 individual members that are actively interested in the Governor SL, or interested enough to vote.
Locke DVestavio
The Ice Elf
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Tailor
Can Be Found: New Haven, RhyDin City
40993.74 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can name two Super Folders already that have been removed from these forums due to lack of interest and activity. There's the RhyDin Museum Complex that has been catacombed. I can see it. I'm pretty sure everybody else can too, but there it sits in the Catacombs category of these forums, unused since last April of 2009. The other Super Folder was Kairee's Splendiferous. I think that one's just hidden and not catacombed, but I don't see it anymore.

For the sake of being a completist, more than anything else: I believe there is a third super-folder that also eventually was hidden from sight due to lack of use. Jodiah Ayreg (DM SN Lord Ayreg) had a super-folder for a decent period of time, before the player stopped using it and it was eventually removed. So I know it's a limited sample size, but I think it's safe to say that, whether it's super-folders or just regular, plain old folders, there's an extremely high turnover rate in usage, just as there's a high turnover rate in general for characters and SLs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> RhyDin Town Center -> The Governor's Office All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: