Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

Musings of a Misplaced Irishman : Aaric Liam OShea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Dragon's Tales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryn Kinsey
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Always on the move.
1059.70 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case he ever does come here again;

When the rain is blowin' in your face
And the whole world is on your case
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love.

When the evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one there to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years

I know you haven't made your mind up yet
But I would never do you wrong
I've known it from the moment that we met
No doubt in my mind where you belong.

I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue
I'd go crawlin' down the avenue
No, there's nothin' that I wouldn't do

The storms are raging on the rollin' sea
And on the highway of regrets
The winds of change are blowing wild and free
You ain't seen nothin' like me yet.

I could make you happy, make your dreams come true
There's nothing that I would not do
Go to the ends of the Earth for you

(Make You Feel My Love - Bob Dylan)
Aaric Liam OShea
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Falconer
Can Be Found: Rhydin, at least for one more night
11243.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: There and back again...again. Reply with quote

It was nearing Winter. If not for that, he may never have returned to this place. The property needed to be prepared for the cold weather. He was wildly irrresponsible for the most part, a trait that had cost him dearly both personally and professionally. He was pretty much alone in the world, both worlds for that matter. Some of that was by choice, some not. He found ways to rationalize it in the past but those excuses were running out now. He wasn't getting any younger although time here in Rhy'din seemed to pass slower than it did at his home. Home. Well there was an interesting word. Home. Where was home now? Was there such a place for him? This trip to Rhy'din just might answer that question. It might answer that question and quite a few others.

He stepped through the portal, never ceasing to wonder at how magic just seemed part of the fabric here. The portal always opened somewhere on his property, rarely in the same place twice. If that was part of the process or not, it really didn't matter. It was a quick, if costly, way to travel between the two worlds and the money wasn't an issue.

This time he stepped through and found himself standing near the shore of the lake. The Autumn air was crisp and was stirring small white caps on the water, they collapsed as the waves slapped against the rocks of the shoreline.

It took him a few moments to realize and recognize the faint smell of wood smoke on the cool breeze. It took a moment for the thought to register and, as it did, he turned slowly to look up at the cottage on the hill. The smoke was coming from the chimney and, if he wasn't mistaken, there was light in the loft window. Bryn.

Aaric Liam OShea
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
11243.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: a changed man Reply with quote

He stood there silently thinking. Bryn. If she was at the house, she was probably going to be none too pleased to see him. If it wasn't Bryn, then who in the hell was living in his house? He rubbed his chin and shrugged slightly. No matter really, he had to go to up either way. He had a rather large shipment of expensive Scotch arriving in the next few days and he had to find space to store it. He planned to store most, if not all, of it at the house. He wouldn't need to keep it here long. His, well, his partner, if you could call her that, had promised to pick it up by the end of the week. All he had to do was keep it safe until then and he stood to make a tidy sum of money. None of that mattered right now. What mattered was getting to the house and finding out who was home.

He took a deep breath and started up the path to the house. He absently touched the small automatic tucked into the small of his back. It wasn't a large weapon but just as deadly in the hands of someone who knew how to use it. He knew how to use it.

He wasn't the same man that left RhyDin almost a year ago. During his time away he had met people. Dark people. Dangerous people. People who promised him lots of money if he could arrange things for them here in RhyDin. It didn't seem that difficult really. Pay off a few people to look the other way, provide information on certain persons and businesses, that sort of thing, How difficult could it be? The shipment of Scotch that was on it's way was his first job. All he had to do was hold it for a few days until a certain woman arrived to claim it. Simple enough. Still, it didn't hurt to be careful. Careful and prepared.

He didn't necessarily try to conceal himself as he walked up to the house but he didn't make his approach obvious either. It took him a few minutes longer than it should have but he stood quietly on the front porch with one hand on the doorknob and the other on the small .380. He slowly turned the knob, expecting the door to be locked. To his surprise, the knob rotated completely with a soft click. He slowly pushed the door open.

It took a few moments for his eyes to adjust to the near darkness of the room. The only light now was that given off by the fireplace, casting the room in a dim orange red glow. It took less than a few moments to notice the still form, softly breathing, on the couch. There was no mistaking the flowing mane of red hair. Bryn.

Afton Kerrigan
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Only if you look hard enough.
139.74 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: strictly business Reply with quote

It was cold here now. Unless she were skiing, she didn't much care for the cold. She wanted to arrange this delivery, get it where it belonged, and be done with it. She was being paid for her time but this was more of a favor for someone. That was something else she didn't care for, owing favors. The delivery of this shipment would settle the score. The people she owed the favor weren't exactly the understanding sort. She wanted to be done with them, done with this whole contract. All she needed to do was get these hundred cases of Scotch to someone named O'Shea and it was finished. First she had to find out where he lived and a little about him. She never went in blind.
Aaric Liam OShea
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
11243.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Where dreams come to die Reply with quote

Could it be possible? Was he really this stupid? He stood in the small living room of the cabin and took a deep breath. The air, thick and heavy. filled his lungs. Memories filled his mind.

Memories. This place held so many. Good, bad, neither, it was hard to say. As he began removing the dust covers from the furniture, he allowed the memories to welcome him home. There was Bryn, smiling as always, her flaming red hair and sparkling green eyes taunting, teasing him. Faithful Bryn who wanted nothing more than his love. He'd broken her heart over and over until, well, everyone had their limits, even Bryn. It was years now since he'd heard from her.

Memories. Family lived in those memories too. His brother Collyn, who'd both helped and hurt him so many times. Selfish, jealous, Collyn. Collyn who wanted everything but worked for nothing. Collyn, who'd walked out so many years ago and simply disappeared.

Memories. There was no escape from them. As he wiped the dust from the books on the bookshelf, he saw the volumes of poetry. With them came the one memory he had tried so hard to erase. Cait. His Cait. Well, at least for a while. She was everything he wanted, everything he wasn't. Their love was strong in spite of their differences. Cait, strong, demanding, committed. She gave him every opportunity and he took none of them. She had moved on to a better life, leaving his shattered.

Memories. He knew the one thing, the only thing, that would chase them away. He moved up the stairs to the loft bedroom to unpack. He'd brought enough clothing for a long, maybe permanent, stay. He reached deep into his bag, under the pile of clothes, and found it. Scotch, his only real friend. A good bottle of Scotch would never betray him. He was tired now. It had been a long journey back here to Rhy'din. Settling into his familiar large leather chair, he slowly twisted the top from the bottle. He drank deeply and set the bottle on the small table next to him. This time, things will be different. That was his last conscious thought as sleep overtook him.

Aaric Liam OShea
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
11243.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Just like starting over Reply with quote

He'd passed the night in the chair. If there were one saving grace, so to speak, it was that he'd left the top on the bottle of Scotch all night. He'd fallen too far under it's spell for a long time and, though he still drank more than he should, he'd been doing much better.

After a quick check of the rest of the house, he stripped and prepared for a shower. Crossing his fingers, he turned on the water. His luck was good this day as, after only a few moments, clean warm water rained down from the shower head. Not wanting to waste much of the morning, the shower was quick. Running a towel through his mop of dark hair, he dressed quickly, and headed back down to the living room. There were things to do and he knew, if he lingered here long, the memories would again invite themselves inside. He knew they would return, probably often for a while, but he'd find a way to deal with it. He always found a way.

A quick trip to the kitchen revealed an empty icebox. A trip into town for a late breakfast and then he would get some groceries and other supplies to bring back to the cabin. His stomach was already beginning to rumble as he headed out the door into a bright and sunny morning. A quick look down to the lake brought a moment of regret but he quickly chased it a way. If he was starting over, the starting over started now.

Aaric Liam OShea
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
11243.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: introspection Reply with quote

If music be the food of love; play on. (William Shakespeare)

Waking up to kiss you and nobody's there
The smell of your perfume still stuck in the air
It's hard
Yesterday I thought I saw your shadow running round
It's funny how things never change in this old town
So far from the stars

And I want to tell you everything
The words I never got to say the first time around
And I remember everything
From when we were the children playing in this fairground
Wish I was there with you now

If the whole world was watching I'd still dance with you
Drive highways and byways to be there with you
Over and over the only truth
Everything comes back to you

I saw that you moved on with someone new
In the pub that we met he's got his arms around you
It's so hard
So hard

And I want to tell you everything
The words I never got to say the first time around
And I remember everything
From when we were the children playing in this fairground
Wish I was there with you now

As if the whole world was watching I'd still dance with you
You still make me nervous when you walk in the room
Them butterflies they come alive when I'm next to you

And I know that it's wrong
That I can't move on
But there's something about you

If the whole world was watching I'd still dance with you
You still make me nervous when you walk in the room
Them butterflies they come alive when I'm next to you

(This Town - Niall Horan )
Eris
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Doctor, Artist
Can Be Found: Somewhere in Rhydin
13531.70 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Life, Death and Sprockets Reply with quote

"Ares, can you come over. I think my Butler is broken." Thinking the robot was broken might be a bit of an understatement. Eris had decided her robot butler might need to be cleaned. Thus, like any woman would do, (not) she dismantled the robot from tip to toe and now had no idea how to put it all back together. Sadly, her brother had no desire to indulge her request because he was too busy with his latest squeeze. A woman named Cha-Cha who's cleavage could wrap around her shoulders and tie in the back. He seemed to like the larger gals when the need struck.

"So I'll take your silence as a no." Still no answer which was an answer in itself. "Fine, I'll .." Tip toeing through the pile of screws, the stack of parts and then stumping her tow on a hammer that really shouldn't be used on that robot in the first place. A muffled 'Dammit' followed by a few more colorful terms served to make the day even worse. "..I'll just head down to the market and grab a bite to eat. Don't mind me, brother dear! You just, uhm..you just do whatever it is you're doing. Don't you dare send me pictures either!!!" There was really no such thing as privacy among the gods. Eris couldn't even count the times she'd come home and found Eros or Athena snooping around in her space.

Cleaning now officially off the menu, Eris had time to kill. She changed from her sleep clothes, slipped into some blue jean shorts, an Aerosmith T-shirt and red sneakers then pulled back those dark, black locks into a long ponytail before heading out to find some food. She wasn't really the picky type. Well, that may not be quite true. She didn't care for any food that still had a head on it. Squid was also a no go. There was red meat; but, not if she saw the cow. Because cows had those those beautiful doe eyes that made a person feel all kinds of guilty at the very thought of a hamburger. Goats, on the other hand, often have a habit of butting one right in the arse or head, depending on the spot. They multiply quickly. Her family often used them for evening dinner and few shed a tear.

Most days it seemed easier to grab a pizza and call it good. Even that got old after awhile. If nothing else, there was always ice cream. Ice cream and people watching. No, no..wait.. ROCKY ROAD ice cream and people watching. Rocky Road Ice Cream, people watching and doing a double take on the men who caught her eye. Especially since it didn't seem like Zan was interested anymore. She'd not shed a tear over that either.

Come to think of it, the last time she'd shed a single tear..*sighs softly*. That was a long, long time ago. Was better to keep the Genie in the bottle.

She would shed a tear if the Chinese restaurant was closed and quickly hurried into the elevator and down to the market to grab some dinner and enjoy the view. View of what? Guess we'll find out.
Aaric Liam OShea
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
11243.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: finding a cure Reply with quote

It was a fairly long walk from the lake house to town but the warm morning sun made it enjoyable. It allowed him to clear his head, to begin to work on ridding himself of past baggage. He'd come to realize, or at least quit denying, that most of his problems he'd brought on himself. That particular thought brought with it another pang of regret but it also brought a small sense of freedom. Maybe he couldn't completely escape his past but he could sure as hell store it away, at least for a while.

He took his time on the walk and, by the time he arrived in town, it was closer to lunch time than breakfast. The walk was just what he'd needed, it had put him in something close to a good mood. A rumble from his stomach let him know just what he needed to make that mood even better.

The town square was a quaint little place, serene, maybe too serene, but he was hungry and this was as far as he was willing to travel until he found a better mode of transportation. He spotted a small cafe' on one corner that provided outdoor seating and didn't appear overly crowded. He casually wandered over, hopped the small gate surrounding the patio, and grabbed a seat at a small table for two. The waitress nearest his table frowned at him as she walked over. Excuse me sir, and to him the word sir sounded more than a little sarcastic, but this table is by reservation only, she finished, standing in front of him, hands on her hips.

He gave her his most dazzling smile and shrugged. Sorry, I'm new here. How about you let me stay this time and next time I'll be sure to make a reservation. She stood there tapping her foot for a moment and then smiled back at him. Okay, but just this once. she said with maybe a little too much drama then smiled again. She took his order, a beer while he looked over the small menu, and walked away. He watched her go, she had a walk a man could appreciate, and settled back in his chair. He could be here a while. This day was starting out to be good, but it was early.

Aaric Liam OShea
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
11243.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: introspection Reply with quote

If music be the food of love; play on. ( William Shakespeare )

So I guess it's over baby and déjà vu again
Who'd have thought that time don't stop and
Somehow girl, the world keeps spinning and
I guess I've turned myself into a solitary man
Ain't like I'm the only one that's in the shoes
That I am

Do you hear that?
I'm right back
At the sound of lonely calling
Do you hear that?
It's where I'm at
It's the sound of teardrops falling down, down
A slamming door and a lesson learned
I let another lover crash and burn

I know that it might sound jaded
And I have to say
I think love is overrated
But I don't like throwing it away

I know you could probably tell me
Right where I went wrong
Some guys can't have all the luck
If others don't sing sad songs

Do you hear that?
I'm right back
Do you hear that?
It's where I'm at
I let another lover crash and burn, that's right

Another lover
Another lover crash and burn
Ooh yeah

Do you hear that?
I'm right back
Do you hear that?
It's where I'm at
I let another lover crash and burn, yeah
I let another lover crash and burn

( Crash and Burn - Thomas Rhett )
Eris
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
13531.70 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That path to find some decent Chinese food ended up taking a little longer than expected. Eris managed to get distracted by some kids playing soccer. Back in the day, she and a few of her siblings would play something similar only the goal was to aim a large boulder straight for the stomach to knock all the air out of your competition. Ah, the memories. Good thing they'd gotten over that phase. Mainly because Zeus ended up on the receiving end of her kick, which made everyone else run for the hills and left her laying under an 800 pound rock for a month or so until the big guy figured she'd learned her lesson. Her so called 'Daddy' had no funny bone at all; but, everyone else in the Pantheon was kind enough to paint pictures on the rock to help kill the time.

By the noon hour she'd changed her mind on Chinese and opted for a restaurant with an outside patio where she asked for a menu and glass of ice tea. After perusing the options and raising her hand to let the waiter know, Eris ordered a grilled chicken breast with a salad and a soft spoken, 'Thank you."

While waiting for her meal, since she was absolutely starving by now, the only option left was people watching. There was always plenty of people to watch. For now, her eye went to the stranger who had a hard time getting a good seat which made her chuckle.

"You know, the patio chairs are padded. You'll be fine."
Aaric Liam OShea
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
11243.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: an unguarded moment Reply with quote

" you know the patio chairs are padded, you'll be fine".  He'd heard the words plainly and, without looking around, knew they were meant for him.  When he did look around, his eyes locked momentarily with hers.  Something changed.  It wasn't some magical soul altering experience but something changed just the same.  He tried quickly to come up with one of his trademark witty replies but couldn't.  For perhaps the first time in many years, he was speechless.  

It was fortunate for him that, at that moment, the waitress arrived with his drink.  She set the beer in front of him, interrupting what felt like something close to a hypnotic spell.  Had the waitress not chosen that exact moment to arrive, he may have remained slack jawed and staring at the woman.  It wasn't simply that she was beautiful, which she most certainly was, it was something altogether different.  There was something alluring, almost magnetic, in her mere presence.   He couldn't find the right word to describe it or the right comparison to make.  He found himself a little unsettled.

The best he could do was fumble for a moment with the menu on the table.  He hadn't heard a word the waitress said when she asked if he was ready to order.  He simply and slowly waved her away dismissively.  The whole event had taken only seconds but it seemed an eternity before he looked back across the patio at the woman.   In most cases, and yes it had happened before, he'd simply nod and smile or maybe send a drink but neither of those seemed enough or maybe they seemed too much.   

Then, just as quickly, he was himself again.  Not sure what had just happened, he let it go.  It was something to think about later, or maybe not.  He raised his glass with a tilt toward the woman and smiled.  Oh I'm very comfortable, very comfortable indeed.  He wasn't even really sure what he meant.

Eris
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
13531.70 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For her part, there was just a wee little glance from her left eye before giving her head a shake as if he was possibly a bit deranged. She met those types of folks all the time. They fall in love at the drop of a hat whether they know the person or not. Which is why she shifted her chair so he was only allowed to look at her back. Thankfully her dinner arrived. And, like most people who have a working cellphone, that's where her attention went.

In order to keep the conversation quiet, she tapped in the messages back and forth to the Goddess, Artemis. The two had the same wit and same penchant for getting in trouble. Her message.."This guys looking at me a lot."

Artemis just had to ask. "Sexy, cute or hit the road jack? Fat or skinny? What color hair? Dark? ...is he tall?"

She'd just took a bite of her salad and made sure to eat it nice and slow before offering a muted. "So so..He's not a Brenton."

"No one will ever be a Brenton. ..but we move on." Artemis stole a tomato; but, it wasn't to eat so much as to throw a an unsuspecting passerby.

A little chuckle slipped free as the poor kid was hit in the chest. "If I'm thinking what you're thinking, then I'm really thinking that you need to stop thinking. I don't want or need a man right now. Period." Her period mean it's final. End of discussion.

"Alright.." Artemis said with a sigh. "I'd give him a go; but, I'm not really into that kind of thing. For the record, the only reason you're eating and drinking regular food instead of Ambrosia is that Zeus believes you'll get so miserable among these people that you'll beg to go back to Olympus. Then again, he's done everything else in his power to drag your butt back and, being so damn hard headed it's not working at all. Don't you fear for what he might do to you?"

Was a good question with an easy answer. Still typing along for privacy. "He did not make me to be fearful. That's his mistake. He made me to cause fear. Right now, I'm not in the mood. If he wants me back, he'll have to come get me." With that, she said her goodbyes and clicked the phone off.

"Beautiful day don't you think?" Now giving the dark haired man the time of day.
Aaric Liam OShea
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
11243.36 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: a day to waste Reply with quote

He shrugged with a slight nod as he stood, beer in hand. "It's not a bad day I suppose, perhaps a bit of rain later" He took off his jacket and slung it over his shoulder. There was some remnant still of that strange feeling, not one of emotion or attraction but perhaps only something of a presence,her presence, here. Either way, it was passing and now gone all together.

Digging into the pocket of his jeans, there was a moment of panic as he found that particular pocket empty. The other pocket was more productive as he pulled out a few bills, more than enough to cover the beer and tip, and laid them on the table. With a wave to the waitress, he pointed at the money and she nodded in return.

It was past the noon hour now and he had much to do while he was here in town. Groceries and supplies to repair and stock the lake house, wood and other necessities to repair some minor damage to the boat, and Scotch.

He ran his hand absently through his hair as he stood thinking of the stops he needed to make and calculated the time he'd need. A glance to the sky made him feel fairly confident he'd have time to do what he needed and make the walk home before the threat of any weather.

As he made his way to the patio gate, he again noticed the woman and her dinner. With a smile and then a chuckle, " they have really good cheeseburgers here". With that he looked at the phone in her hand and made a mental note to pick one up for himself. As he approached the open gate, he suddenly found himself in a rather good mood, and hopped over the railing instead.

Kenzie
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Priestess, Schoolteacher

6743.40 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was she being obtuse? Oh to be sure. There were few times in her life where Eris did not emit that lingering feeling of haughtiness or just plain aggravation for what may seem like no reason what so ever. For her, that was a pretty standard response. She ran hot and cold. One minute kind and sweet. The other a boiling pot of seething anger and rage. Being as she was pretty much the melting pot of all things Zeus couldn't find to put anywhere else, it was no surprise she was often a tangled mess if left to her own devises for too long.

There were times she could feel the cold icy hands of Zeus coiling his fingers around her neck even though no one was there. He treated her like a toy. At the same time, she knew he feared her. When one puts all the unwanted, unneeded and unknowns into one box which Pandora tried hard to keep under wraps, there's a high chance there might be a mishap or two.

"They have really good cheeseburgers here."

She glanced towards the gentleman again. Had she ever had a cheeseburger? "They are? ..Perhaps I'll have one of those instead. Thank you." Giving him some money for his help. "Perhaps our paths will cross again."
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Dragon's Tales All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: