Red Dragon Inn

Red Dragon Inn Home Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark

Welcome, traveler!
( Member login. Not a member? Register here. )

Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    Forum Help   
Gallery    Shop    Jobs    Auctions    Pet Shop    Lottery   
Register    Log in 

OOC Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Dragon's Tales -> RhyDin Election
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Midwife, Herbalist
Can Be Found: Navarra Farms, Duchy of Navarra
17179.56 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andu Kirost wrote:
Uhmmm...
How about a council made up of Barons, and Archimage, representing the interest of the populous of the cities districts (including Twilight Island) AND Elected Ministers responsible for various services and/or trades.

Though the "real world" version of this would have the districts be elected, and the ministers put forth by the relevant groups, this would provide a distinctly Rhy'din twist.

I love the idea of this being a full community effort and further solidifying the often weakened bridge between players in the RDI and RoH. However, I'm not so sure that title holders, simply by virtue of being title holders, are the best choices for a council to do public service or act as government reps.

G'nort, regardless of any dueling title he might have, is a long time citizen of Rhydin that owns a couple of businesses.

Jake Thrash, again regardless of titles, is long time citizen, and owner of one of the best known breweries in Rhydin, Red Orc.

Shadowlord along with Claire Caelum have a vested interest in community activities and support it through the running of Dragon's Gate Orphanage.

Terry King is active in public service with her support of a women's shelter.

Those are people that either currently have or have had major titles.

There are plenty of other duelists that have not been a Baron, Overlord, Diamond, Opal, Keeper, or Archmage that would be better suited to assisting the public in some way than some that have been or are presently title holders; such as Aja Bird and Jewell Ravenlock.

Those are the things that need to be considered not just dueling titles, but how much interest that character would actually have in participating and bettering the community.
JewellRavenlock
The Empress
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Little Elfhame; Old Market
107233.26 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:

There are plenty of other duelists that have not been a Baron, Overlord, Diamond, Opal, Keeper, or Archmage that would be better suited to assisting the public in some way than some that have been or are presently title holders; such as Aja Bird and Jewell Ravenlock.

Those are the things that need to be considered not just dueling titles, but how much interest that character would actually have in participating and bettering the community.

For the truth.. because at the rate I'm going, I will never have a title Smile
Spell
Luckiest Archmage x2
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Who knows. Out and about?
550.78 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrlUnicorn wrote:

Quoted again for truth. Jesse was the Archmage for 3 cycles before Lem finally beat her and she wouldn't be, at all, good for any sort of public council. Unless Undead Rights matters.

At time there are inactive title holders so it would be a waste of a spot when someone without a title could be more active and take their place. It should be more about who is fit for the jop over simply being able to win a title and being gifted it. It can be easily done by having a few seats set aside for RoH representatives and allowing the dueling community to vote for them.
Amthyst Oak
The Nymphy Pix
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Cartographer, Alchemist
Can Be Found: Rhydin-Town
25939.67 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with a return to the basic concept of the Gov -- a face & figure head. You know someone to go out and cut ribbons and kiss babies. Respectfully, I believe this fits best with the opt-in nature of the SL, in my opinion. Not everyone plays that the Gov exists. Awarding the position more power just makes that more awkward in public play.

Also, no where that I am currently aware (and please direct me if I am wrong) is a place that says the Gov must do loads of IC/OOC things. What about being elected makes us (generalized) believe that the player is responsible for planning community events or defining/fine-tuning our idea of Rhy'Din? I mention this since I wonder if that is part of the feeling of the Gov being "work". Just because there is a calendar of holidays it doesn't mean that the player behind the Gov to go out and make sure there is an event for Children's Day or any other day on the list. We (again, generalized) are wrong to put that kind of burden on the player. Just as we are wrong to assume that since something is in the playable folder that the Gov has any input or control over what happens in that situation.

Does it hurt to contact the player of the Gov as a starting place? In the issue of the playables, I think it's best to start with the person who posted it. In the issue of an event, I can see where it's a good place to start. But maybe we need to reconsider how we approach it?

Instead of "What are you doing for x or y event?" we say "Is there anyone planning x or y event?"

I also think, and this is oh so totally my opinion only and reflects only on me, that if you are going to ask about an event you should only do so if you are prepared to offer your assistance. Otherwise it puts an undue burden on the Gov's player to think they *have* to plan something, which they may not really have the time to do.

Outside of the election thing, I think there should be an open OOC only committee of individuals (as in people can join it or leave it at any time) who are responsible for planning the calendar events that can work in conjunction with the Gov's player--if the Gov's player wishes to in involved and with site hosts (if they wish to involve them). That way people who are interested in planning events can join up, and said events are more likely to happen.

With that in mind, while I do not volunteer to help with the Gov electing stuff I do volunteer to help with events SHOULD a committee like the above be created.
And the mome raths outgrabe

-Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, Lewis Carroll
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
17179.56 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amthyst Oak wrote:

Also, no where that I am currently aware (and please direct me if I am wrong) is a place that says the Gov must do loads of IC/OOC things. What about being elected makes us (generalized) believe that the player is responsible for planning community events or defining/fine-tuning our idea of Rhy'Din? I mention this since I wonder if that is part of the feeling of the Gov being "work". Just because there is a calendar of holidays it doesn't mean that the player behind the Gov to go out and make sure there is an event for Children's Day or any other day on the list. We (again, generalized) are wrong to put that kind of burden on the player. Just as we are wrong to assume that since something is in the playable folder that the Gov has any input or control over what happens in that situation.

Does it hurt to contact the player of the Gov as a starting place? In the issue of the playables, I think it's best to start with the person who posted it. In the issue of an event, I can see where it's a good place to start. But maybe we need to reconsider how we approach it?

Instead of "What are you doing for x or y event?" we say "Is there anyone planning x or y event?"

I also think, and this is oh so totally my opinion only and reflects only on me, that if you are going to ask about an event you should only do so if you are prepared to offer your assistance. Otherwise it puts an undue burden on the Gov's player to think they *have* to plan something, which they may not really have the time to do.

Outside of the election thing, I think there should be an open OOC only committee of individuals (as in people can join it or leave it at any time) who are responsible for planning the calendar events that can work in conjunction with the Gov's player--if the Gov's player wishes to in involved and with site hosts (if they wish to involve them). That way people who are interested in planning events can join up, and said events are more likely to happen.

Some of holidays on the Rhydin calendar like Children's Day and Citizens' Day were added to the calendar by a Governor. I think that's where the issue of who is spearheading what begins. A mindset of It was one person's creation, are they taking charge started there.

What has happened is we went from the player of a Governor, Fionna, that was extremely active with the SL to one wasn't, Rekah. I'm not meaning to be critical of Rekah's player with that, it's just how things are. Having had one that's been extremely active is what caused those expectations of who is responsible for what and taking care of what.

I think the Governor's Office folder is used, in part, to ask questions like
Quote:

It became a central focus point for those looking for community events or who was doing the planning. The Community Events folder was created to handle those things but it's more of a case of here are the plans and what we have ready not this is a planning session add your input. I don't think any of like to have our toes stepped on nor do we like to be the ones doing the toe crunching.

I with agree with you and I don't. Inquiring should not be considered committing to plan any given event. Some people just want to know what their characters should be preparing for or what events might already be planned so that something they might be considering putting on the table and/or real life activities don't clash. People should not volunteer to plan and carry out events if their interest is not sincere. Even if one can only contribute a small thing, it makes a difference. It doesn't just put an undue burden on the player of the Governor, it can leave other players in the lurch that had been depending on someone's participation. Unexpected things do happen in life, but that's not what you're addressing here.

The planning committee should be an in character entity as well, same principle as the council suggestion. While it's the players that do the actual work, we pretty much have to have a character's face there for the IC aspect of things.
Andu Kirost
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Coachman, Longshoreman
Can Be Found: In his Home.
1859.14 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm...
OKay, lots and lots of ideas and all that being given (Good Thing).
My proposal based on my perception of a good balance between what is desired and what is feasable.

An elected (figurehead) council with a "chairman".
This council would have no "real" legal authority. But, as with any player run entity, it can appear to have some authority based on how willing the citizens (players) are willing to work with, and obey it.
The council would be responsible for "administering" and supporting various city services/events. Support for the council and its activities would come from the donations from citizens.
(???Very questionable ideas)
If it were possible to set up an SN as a "Council Bank", players could contribute Silver Dollars in return for positions on an advisory board. These SDs could then be used to pay for Icons for events etc.
An example of non-event use would be if the council decided to support the 27 Unit of the Watch, "Badges" could be "issued" (payed for from this fund) for SNs that are part of that Unit.

Details and nomenclature are rough and need work, yes.
Amthyst Oak
The Nymphy Pix
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Cartographer, Alchemist
Can Be Found: Rhydin-Town
25939.67 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Some of holidays on the Rhydin calendar like Children's Day and Citizens' Day were added to the calendar by a Governor. I think that's where the issue of who is spearheading what begins. A mindset of It was one person's creation, are they taking charge started there.

What has happened is we went from the player of a Governor, Fionna, that was extremely active with the SL to one wasn't, Rekah. I'm not meaning to be critical of Rekah's player with that, it's just how things are. Having had one that's been extremely active is what caused those expectations of who is responsible for what and taking care of what.

Ah! thank you Smile

I thought most of the community holidays came from the thread on the DM http://www.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3798 and were community collaboration and not one particular Gov's? While the topic was prompted by Fio's player, it was Lan that brought it to the boards, and the community contributed by offering ideas and then it was put to vote/poll and what not. Which is different than, say, Beltane which was planned and executed by Jewell's player (with assistance, yes, but she spearheaded the endeavor).

This is why I suggest a committee (however it shakes down to be) since it appeared, to me, to be a joint community effort (the calendar, that is).

Quote:

The planning committee should be an in character entity as well, same principle as the council suggestion. While it's the players that do the actual work, we pretty much have to have a character's face there for the IC aspect of things.

I admit, when I was thinking about it I was thinking about the players who don't play characters who would be on a planning committee. I was trying to think of the most inclusive way to work that, and OOC seemed a likely way.

But, yes, I can see your point. And if you played a character that would be someone to be a coordinator IC, how you would want your character to have that IC involvement.
And the mome raths outgrabe

-Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, Lewis Carroll
Ebon Ilnaren
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Schoolteacher, Political Activist
Can Be Found: Stardreamer Manor, RhyDin
51638.78 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaltea wrote:
But I still think the Governor is not an authority figure. The Governor is a rock star, a PR person. Nothing more than that.

I can dig that, actually... the Governor doesn't have any real power, but distracts the public's attention away from those who do, the "the shadowy 'rulers' of RhyDin whom no one can claim to have ever seen."

(Note that "shadowy" does not mean "corrupt" or "evil" as sometimes even the good guys work behind the scenes. It's proably a well-balanced mix.)

Anyway, the Governor is the person who throws out the first pitch, or tells the band to strike up the music at the annual Yule ball, what have you. The city needs someone like that.

JewellRavenlock wrote:
If the governor is just a figurehead/puppet, who is the Dai Li pulling the strings?

Who knows? It could be Joe Schmoe the cobbler living and working just off the Marketplace, and Lady Heathwaite the Good Witch from New Haven, and also Dark Fred Murky the Assassin from the Docks. It could be ANYONE, and nobody would know, and that's the best answer to the question of who really runs things. Because we all know who really DOES run things.

It's a bunch of people sitting at their computers and telling stories. Smile

JewellRavenlock wrote:
PrlUnicorn wrote:
This is why I suggested the council be more of a group of facilitators for citizens and various services in the city as opposed to being in charge.

I like that.

Me too!

JewellRavenlock wrote:
If a council is what people in general want to go with, I'm curious about the type of council.

Is it arranged around services, like Collie suggested?

Is it arranged around geographical location? I really like that idea because I think it could compliment the Baron set up (and like Dris said, something that brings the two communities together=good) but it also could conflict with that? Maybe good conflict, maybe bad.

Is it not arranged around anything but just like.. five elected officials to balance each other out and work together for the fun and goodness of the city?

I also like the idea of arranging it by district, to complement the Baronial set-up. However, that leaves DoM and DoF out of the loop, which doesn't seem fair to me. Perhaps a 5-person elected council, with the top ranks in each sport also invited to participate IC? (of course everyone would be welcome to offer ideas OOC)
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion....
Storm Ravenlock
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Gunsmith, Inventor
Can Be Found: CoS Hub, Harborage or with family
22361.44 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that Brian is trying to Resurrect the Chamber of Commerce, why not have people get involved in that type of organization. Events and the things we have been doing all along would certainly fit into the Chamber's or even the Welcome Center's purview.

We have elements of these type of committees and organizations already built into the running background of Rhydin, why not develop these fully?

I did volunteering for festivals and events while working with our local Chamber of Commerce back in High School. They also sponsored after school activities like Junior Achievement. One of our biggest sponsors owned a big Trash removal company and Banquet facility.

I'm thinking Municipal Governments might have things like this build into the structure without having to have an *elected* official.

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch." ~Police Blotter
JewellRavenlock
The Empress
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Little Elfhame; Old Market
107233.26 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the survey for the Governor SL still has a little under two weeks to go, I wanted to throw some ideas out there for consideration since we haven't had anyone new taking the survey in the last few days.

At the moment, the community overwhelmingly would like to keep the Governor SL going. The waters get very murky though when it comes to what exactly people want from it: a governor, a governor and council, or just a council.

I originally thought that a council would be an ideal situation. It would spread the "work load" and allow for real life to take a player out of the game for a time without hurting the overall SL.

Upon further thought, I have several concerns about a council. Regardless of the size of the council (whether it is three or nine..whatever), I think it is going to be difficult getting enough players to run for office to fill those positions. We already have trouble getting several people to run for governor, are there enough players to run for council positions? Are there enough players willing to commit themselves to play on a council?

My other concern is in regards to cooperation. If a council is voted in, that means several players who do not normally play with each other (and maybe have no desire to play with each other) now have to cooperate to make the SL run. Ideally, this could create some great stories and new friendships. Unfortunately, this is more likely to be a problem and source of OOC conflict.

Possible solution: Many people (based on the survey comments and some of the threads on this issue) seem concerned about voting in a governor and than the player disappearing because of real life problems. That's why a council seems ideal. However, having a governor and some type of person who is second-in-command (lieutenant governor, vice governor..whatever!) is actually a very desirable solution. A governor chosen by the community can then have a second-in-command of their own choosing. This ensures that someone is available if the governor is not, shares the "work load" so the SL does not become too much for one person, and (mostly) ensures cooperation between the two players.
Nigel Alder
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Room 253, in the Red Dragon
3545.16 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm jumping into the convo a little late but how about we just have a Governor and people volunteer for events?

The community overwhelmingly wants a Governor SL. So the community has spoken.

I feel like having an officially elected "government" sends the wrong message. I feel like giving designations as Lieutenant, etc. sends a message of formality that people who might be new to the site wouldn't understand.

Before the GAC was formed and everything became so official there was usually just a Governor and that was it. Like people have mentioned, a figure head who only had power if the player base wanted to give it to them.

The Governor can return to being that character. If you, as a player, want to say that the Governor has power to send the Watch after your character for behaving badly you can do so. If you'd rather that no one get involved in your SLs you don't have to let them because they are the Governor.

For years whenever events were planned, like the holidays, it was done so by volunteers. The issue isn't that Rekah is too inactive of a Governor. The issue is that people stopped volunteering to hold events and we now have an acute shortage of hosts to disseminate the "work" of events.

As far as I understand and have seen, there are only two hosts who host in the RDI with regularity. And two hosts who host in the SEB with any regularity. This means that there are 4 people out there who are actively hosting.

The onus isn't on the shoulders of the acting Governor to hold events or arrange them. The onus is on the community. Beltane was held this year by volunteers. A variety of other events were as well.

On top of this although we would like to keep the "tradition" of those events going everyone has the capability to do so if they would like to see those holidays return. The responsibility shouldn't fall on the shoulders of the player who plays the Governor to do everything.

Also, the admin team of DM has remarked over and over again that being elected Governor does not give one a staff position at DM. It doesn't even make you a host unless you apply for the position.

Normally RDI hosting staff would take the reigns and hold events such as Beltane, the various balls, etc. Right now the site has about 4-5 active hosts in total, and from what I understand, one of those active hosts is on leave and only comes around sporadically.

I think it just needs to go back to the way it was in the first place. The Governor can arrange events, and ask for volunteers for events. When it comes to other events other players can volunteer as well. The hosts can decide to host events and organize them if they want to.

What we're seeing now isn't a lack of official titles and government in Rhy'din that needs to be formalized again. Its the fact that the current governor was less active in the role, the site had an acute shortage of hosts willing to plan and host events, and instead of people stepping up to hold those events, they just fell to the wayside.

I don't like the idea of the role of Governor becoming so formal that there needs to be a Lieutenant and an officially elected council. It worked beautifully before when the Governor was organizing some events, volunteers holding others, and hosts deciding to organize and arrange the rest as they were available.

Those players mentioned here as potential council members could volunteer to hold events or volunteer to become hosts. As I understand it the role of Lead Host isn't vacant, but held by someone who I haven't seen around much lately. Maybe there could be Co-Lead Hosts, or an Assistant Lead Host to try to fill out the roster of hosting and event arrangement.

In an ideal world holding government office isn't about having power, or infamy. Its about serving your constituency and community. What better way to serve the community of the RDI than to become a host? You can encourage play during your hosted shift, participate in organizing events, and get more actively involved while holding an "official" title.

I'm not sure what the process of applying to be a host, or holding the title entails. But if the site is so short on hosts right now maybe that needs to be looked over and revised?

And maybe those of you calling for more participation in organizing events, those of you who want a council, a chamber, or more official unofficial positions should look into applying.
Amaltea
Chief Trouble Maker
RDI Admin
RDI Admin

See this user's pet
Jobs: Chief Trouble Maker

210520.76 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel Alder wrote:
As I understand it the role of Lead Host isn't vacant, but held by someone who I haven't seen around much lately. Maybe there could be Co-Lead Hosts, or an Assistant Lead Host to try to fill out the roster of hosting and event arrangement.

While I agree with some of what you said on your post, I have to make one thing clear. If you are talking about Toby, who does more than just hosting behind the scenes, you are assuming wrong. Also, there is no Lead Host position, unless you are referring to Host Coordinator. As Host Coordinator, Toby handles the hiring process and training. Toby is the gateway when hosts have a problem or question. Not to mention other duties like creating folders, approving new accounts, updating the calendar, etc.

I don't meant to derail the thread, but this needed to be said.
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
17179.56 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaltea wrote:
Nigel Alder wrote:
As I understand it the role of Lead Host isn't vacant, but held by someone who I haven't seen around much lately. Maybe there could be Co-Lead Hosts, or an Assistant Lead Host to try to fill out the roster of hosting and event arrangement.

While I agree with some of what you said on your post, I have to make one thing clear. If you are talking about Toby, who does more than just hosting behind the scenes, you are assuming wrong. Also, there is no Lead Host position, unless you are referring to Host Coordinator. As Host Coordinator, Toby handles the hiring process and training. Toby is the gateway when hosts have a problem or question. Not to mention other duties like creating folders, approving new accounts, updating the calendar, etc.

I don't meant to derail the thread, but this needed to be said.

To add to what Amal said, players might be taking part in things behind the scenes that might not be openly known. Sometimes assumptions are made that one player or other doesn't do things because we are not privy to all of the SNs they have and might be working/playing under. I have always found Toby to be very helpful and timely ( generally 24-48 hours ) with answers to questions put to him via PM or the Contact Us system. Not downing Amal or Xeno here, but it wasn't their participation and work ethic that was being questioned.

Back on track with the thread. The community at large has not truly spoken; the membership is larger than twenty/thirty (?) people that posted in this thread. However, the majority that have offered opinions favor retaining the Governor or creating some form of council.

Nigel Alder wrote:

Normally RDI hosting staff would take the reigns and hold events such as Beltane, the various balls, etc. Right now the site has about 4-5 active hosts in total, and from what I understand, one of those active hosts is on leave and only comes around sporadically.

The trend in the past few years has been for interested people to volunteer to host events or open their events for general participation, that goes for both Fionna and Rekah's terms as Governor. This is partly because they were addressed IC during GAC meetings. Katt Batten's player took charge of plenty of events in the last few years and was generally not doing it as a staff member. Warren (Quest) and Sissy took care of Beltane, year before last. Community Events has existed for about 18 months and few staff names (including Quest, Sissy, Katt) appear there as taking charge.
Nigel Alder
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Room 253, in the Red Dragon
3545.16 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My assumption was that Eless still held the title and it was unused during her absence. As I remember she was having computer problems. I had no idea that Toby had taken the reigns in her absence.

My point isn't that hosts or staff aren't doing enough. My point is that everyone suggesting new titles, elected councils, and "picking up the slack" of the Governor's unofficial official duties should volunteer to host, or volunteer to organize events.

Meaning, there is no need to elect an unofficial "official" government as opposed to the Governor SL. If someone wants to run an event they should. If someone wants to get more involved in the community they don't need to join the Governor SL to do so. There are a variety of different ways to get more involved, to organize an event, or to hold an event. Or to do something positive for the community, without it having to be an official title, an elected position, or part of the Governor SL.
Andu Kirost
Adult Wyrm
Adult Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Coachman, Longshoreman
Can Be Found: In his Home.
1859.14 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this needs to be said, partly because those that are mostly to find resemblence to their own situations/reasonings are also the ones least likely to come out and say anything.

There are lots of reasons why people seemingly don't get more involved in the community, but the first thing we must remember (In My Opinion) is that there are (at least) two distinct, seperate, but inter-related and dependent communities here, The IC one, and the OOC one.

Some people just don't have control over their schedules/calenders. Be it due to bosses that like to wait till the week before to decide what the nest week's work schedule will be like, children that can get sick or "forget" that school project till the night before it's due, personal emotional issues that can sneak up on us. Many don't know from day to day, much less week to week or month to month, when we can be certain we can give to these great communities of ours.

Hosting is as much an OOC as an IC commitment (promising to be on-line on a schedule). Hosting events is the same, though work arounds can be used for the "Live" part.

Some one said there are many ways of getting involved in the community. My reaction was "Huh? I guess I need to do some digging, because I don't know of all that many." It might be they were thinking both IC and OOC, and I was just thinking IC.

Muns may also simply have limited OOC time to be online and play, so have to prioritize what SNs they play as. And it would be "breaking Character" for some SNs to "get involved" in the community by many of the extant opportunities.

Personally, I must admit that when it comes to RPing, I'm almost strictly a "re-active" player. I've tried starting things more times than anyone but me will ever be allowed to know. But life hasn't wired my brain for it. I end up just blithering and staring at the screen/paper.
NorseLady
SheWolf of the Seas
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Cartographer, Braider
Can Be Found: Wherever the Sea calls.
26521.50 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jumping in again.

1. I like the idea of a Governor of RhyDin. I prefer having an election as we've done for the past several years.

2. I like that the Governor is nothing more than a figurehead. A baby-kisser, a hand-shaker, a rock star (as Amal stated). Unless, of course, the player holding the position wants to do more. Someone our characters can greet when they see him/her, wave to, ignore completely, etc.

3. I like that the Governor has an office (an established folder in the Dreamweaver's Lair section. See subforum The Governor's Office under RhyDin Town Center), a personal secretary (NPC; I've forgotten her name, but that can be changed by the person holding the Governor's position), a telephone (which Shy 'killed' one day while visiting the Governor's office because it kept ringing incessantly, and the secretary wasn't at her desk. Yes, a new phone was installed), and a Rolodex (already an established 'sticky'. See The Governor's Office folder).

4. I like that there is a Public Holiday Calendar (in the Governor's Office folder).

My suggestion for this is to list the holidays/events by the month, but not any particular day/date (exceptions: New Years, Valentines, Independence Day, etc). At least that gives us a general idea of when the RhyDin events take place. As we know, the hosts/hostesses of said events usually post announcements under Playables.

Also, I'm willing to post (and maintain) a new Public Holiday Calendar (in the Governor's Office folder), and fill in the date(s) of events once they're established. Not too difficult of a job since Fio's player already did the majority of work. Thanks Fio-mun!

In conclusion, having an elected Governor sauntering around RhyDin is fun. It opens up all sorts of scenerios and interactions for us players. Again, does the person holding the Governor's position have to be/expected to be in charge of (fill in the blank)? No. Absolutely not.

I'll tell you one thing that's for sure -- whether there is a Governor (elected by a community poll) or not, Shy will stop by the Governor's office one of these days.
Hehehe

Cool

Desmond Granger
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Orchard House at Maple Grove
-74.08 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete please. Posted in the wrong thread. Sorry!
Desmond Granger
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Orchard House at Maple Grove
-74.08 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to take a moment to thank RhyDin Counting House's player for volunteering to head up this year's election. Though it's a daunting task, I think she did a fantastic job!

Thanks also to everyone who participated in the election or helped in any way.

And lastly, congratulations to Ebon, our new governor!

Awesome job, everyone! Very Happy

Last edited by Desmond Granger on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Arthour
Not the Retiring type
Old Wyrm
Old Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Schoolteacher, City Guard
Can Be Found: RDI, The Marketplace or Bristle Crios Mage House. Most likely he'll be around Mai Silverblood.
15882.80 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmond Granger wrote:
I would just like to take a moment to thank RhyDin Counting House's player for volunteering to head up this year's election. Though it's a daunting task, I think she did a fantastic job!

Thanks also to everyone who participated in the election or helped in any way.

And lastly, congratulations to Ebon, our new governor!

Awesome job, everyone! Very Happy

^

Teacher at the Academy of Bristle Crios.
A member of the Circle of Bristle Crios, Mage House Representative.

Not the 'Retiring' Type.

Last edited by Arthour on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
RhyDin Counting House
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Temple District, RhyDin
46510.66 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Congratulations to Governor Ebon Ilnaren! Reply with quote

Congratulations to Governor Ebon Ilnaren!

See the Primary Election and Final Election poll results for details.

Special thanks to JewellRavenlock, Desmond Granger, DevilishOne, Knightfall, Claire Farron, Kruger, Amaltea, and all ten 2014 Primary Candidates.

See how so many people contributed to this successful election year here.
DevilishOne
Wind Goddess
Great Wyrm
Great Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Edhel Ndor, Crendia,Sim' Tahl or Rhydin
46332.04 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your very welcome, glad to help any time.

I had a blast helping with this, and will gladly do so again.
RhyDin Counting House
Young Wyrm
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: Temple District, RhyDin
46510.66 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: RhyDin Counting House Reply with quote

A monumental THANK YOU to all of the players who have shown their support, encouragement, and participation for the Governor storyline over the years, and especially the Governors themselves! It is all because of you!

Please allow me to do a quick sum up over the past few years...

2014 Governor Ebon Ilnaren
2014 RhyDin Gubernatorial Election: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27853
Primaries 2014: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27977
2014 Election: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28088
2014 Governor Election Summary and Thanks: http://www.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4224

2015 Governor Ebon Ilnaren
2015 RhyDin Gubernatorial Election: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29492
((Gubernatorial Election 2015 OOC)): http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29483
2015 Election: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29609

2016 Governor Katt Batten
2016 RhyDin Gubernatorial Election: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31153
((Gubernatorial Election 2016 OOC)): http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31152
Primaries 2016: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31245
2016 Election: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31349

2017 Governor Colleen MacLeod-Fenner
2017 RhyDin Gubernatorial Election: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32540
((Gubernatorial Election 2017 OOC)): http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32539
2017 Election: http://rdi.dragonsmark.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32613
PrlUnicorn
Ancient Wyrm
Ancient Wyrm

See this user's pet
17179.56 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. Does anyone know how I can have the Governor Medallion icon added to my inventory? I noticed that Ebon and Katt have them, but I don't know how long that has been a thing. Thanks!
Peter Radcliffe
Wyrmling
Wyrmling

See this user's pet
Can Be Found: At school or with his family and friends.
298.40 Silver Crowns

Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Howdy! Greetings and Salutations!

I just wanted to post a quick thank you to everyone who was involved in the election this year, especially to the players of Rhydin Counting House, Ebon, and Colleen, as well as the other candidates running alongside "the kids". Many thanks, also, to my partner-in-crime for indulging me and going along with the crazy idea. Wink

To those who thought kids running for governor was a silly idea, that was kind of the point, but we had fun with it, so thanks for putting up with us!

And lastly, congratulations to new governor, Pharlen! Looking forward to a fun year. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Red Dragon Inn - Dragon's Mark Forum Index -> Dragon's Tales -> RhyDin Election All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: